The pacific northwest is becoming ground zero for anti-science hippies who are willing to believe anything if it fits their world view. Their vaccination rates are shocking for people who claim to be so literate.
Now they have a new reason to go on a bender about nuclear power. An article at CounterPunch.org by Janette D. Sherman, M. D. and 'epidemiologist' Joseph Mangano claims that more babies are dying due to...the disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant - 35% more.
Where do they get those numbers? It's all about framing. They are both in the 'we hate nuclear power' business, which certainly resonates with their target audience in the pacific northwest and they get to use science-y sounding data - as long as they only use some of it.
Their source is the always comprehensive Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports which, like all good data, can be used for good or evil. When I wanted to show that Alabama religious people are more accepting of science than atheist hippies in Seattle, the CDC let me do it by showing their shockingly low levels of vaccine acceptance for children.
The authors foment their hysteria by carefully picking 8 cities and comparing the average deaths of babies the month prior to Fukushina with the deaths since. Result: Fukushima radiation is already killing babies.
How? Fixing data and mixing in a healthy dose of confirmation bias saves the day once again for the anti-science contingent of the left wing.
Michael Moyer at Scientific American has the takedown.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Surveys Show Global Warming Belief Doesn't Change With The Weather
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- Reasons Serious Scientists Should Not Fear The Winnower and other OA Open Review Journals.
- Education: Stop New Age Thinking, Chalk And Talk Might Be The Best Way After All
- Big Data Could Be A Big Problem For Workplace Discrimination Law
- "Where's the beef?..."
- "Your statement is outrageous. What mistake have I made? Please elaborate. The scientists quoted..."
- "I think that is due to the Winnower being in Beta. ..."
- "Jon, I think that with all due respect you have made a serious mistake with this article which..."
- "I am a leftist. I am for a revenue-nuetral carbon tax. Having the CO2 externalities part of the..."
- Environmental 'tipping points' key to predicting extinctions
- Penn team's game theory analysis shows how evolution favors cooperation's collapse
- Wireless electronic implants stop staph, then dissolve
- JAX research team identifies new mechanism for misfolded proteins in heart disease
- Toxin targets discovered