The pacific northwest is becoming ground zero for anti-science hippies who are willing to believe anything if it fits their world view. Their vaccination rates are shocking for people who claim to be so literate.
Now they have a new reason to go on a bender about nuclear power. An article at CounterPunch.org by Janette D. Sherman, M. D. and 'epidemiologist' Joseph Mangano claims that more babies are dying due to...the disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant - 35% more.
Where do they get those numbers? It's all about framing. They are both in the 'we hate nuclear power' business, which certainly resonates with their target audience in the pacific northwest and they get to use science-y sounding data - as long as they only use some of it.
Their source is the always comprehensive Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports which, like all good data, can be used for good or evil. When I wanted to show that Alabama religious people are more accepting of science than atheist hippies in Seattle, the CDC let me do it by showing their shockingly low levels of vaccine acceptance for children.
The authors foment their hysteria by carefully picking 8 cities and comparing the average deaths of babies the month prior to Fukushina with the deaths since. Result: Fukushima radiation is already killing babies.
How? Fixing data and mixing in a healthy dose of confirmation bias saves the day once again for the anti-science contingent of the left wing.
Michael Moyer at Scientific American has the takedown.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Journalists Be Aware - Your Unverified "Doomsday" News Terrifies Children And Vulnerable People
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the ass today.
- Another Stone On The Diphotonium Grave
- Michael Pollan Doesn't Just Hate Agriculture, He Hates All Scientists
- Soil Moisture Could Help Predict 'Flash Droughts'
- "NIBIRU HERE NIBIRU THERE NIBIRU BEING SPOTTED EVERYWHERE now tell me im wrong in fact i will go..."
- "Ok so what about the JESSE VENTURE person you ever heard of him like i said its called conspiracy..."
- "Hallelujah, HEP is saved!..."
- "Yes, some of them Nancy Lieder doesn't have a clue about astronomy, she claims the most absurd..."
- "Any of these names mean anything to you Zechariah stitchin,nancy lieder,gill boussard,steve olsen..."
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?
- Scientists Should Fight Postmodern Public Values
- Stupid Health Scare For Hep C Drugs