The pacific northwest is becoming ground zero for anti-science hippies who are willing to believe anything if it fits their world view. Their vaccination rates are shocking for people who claim to be so literate.
Now they have a new reason to go on a bender about nuclear power. An article at CounterPunch.org by Janette D. Sherman, M. D. and 'epidemiologist' Joseph Mangano claims that more babies are dying due to...the disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant - 35% more.
Where do they get those numbers? It's all about framing. They are both in the 'we hate nuclear power' business, which certainly resonates with their target audience in the pacific northwest and they get to use science-y sounding data - as long as they only use some of it.
Their source is the always comprehensive Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports which, like all good data, can be used for good or evil. When I wanted to show that Alabama religious people are more accepting of science than atheist hippies in Seattle, the CDC let me do it by showing their shockingly low levels of vaccine acceptance for children.
The authors foment their hysteria by carefully picking 8 cities and comparing the average deaths of babies the month prior to Fukushina with the deaths since. Result: Fukushima radiation is already killing babies.
How? Fixing data and mixing in a healthy dose of confirmation bias saves the day once again for the anti-science contingent of the left wing.
Michael Moyer at Scientific American has the takedown.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Women,This Is Your Brain On Junk Food
- ATLAS Higgs Challenge Results
- Epidemics: A Sleaze-Bag Payday?
- Ebola Virus And Protein Secrets
- The Chicxulub Meteorite Killed The Dinosaurs But Made Forests Great
- Betavoltaics: Water-Based Nuclear Battery Developed
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- "Hi Anon,it is not an issue of beauty versus performance. It is a question of of machine learning..."
- "Yeah, that's what is called the intraocular traumatic test: if the signal hits you between the..."
- " Contrary to popular belief, all atheists believe in God! Ask any atheists how the universe began..."
- " If the latter were true he would not be selling unapproved drugs, that not only don't work..."
- "У меня иммунитет против многих инфекционных заболеваний..."
- Phthalates heighten risk for childhood asthma
- New study examines the impact of socioeconomic position & maternal morbidity in Australia
- A greater focus on socially disadvantaged women is needed to improve maternity care in England
- NAMS issues first comprehensive recommendations on care of women at menopause and beyond
- Sharks' skin has teeth in the fight against hospital superbugs