The pacific northwest is becoming ground zero for anti-science hippies who are willing to believe anything if it fits their world view. Their vaccination rates are shocking for people who claim to be so literate.
Now they have a new reason to go on a bender about nuclear power. An article at CounterPunch.org by Janette D. Sherman, M. D. and 'epidemiologist' Joseph Mangano claims that more babies are dying due to...the disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant - 35% more.
Where do they get those numbers? It's all about framing. They are both in the 'we hate nuclear power' business, which certainly resonates with their target audience in the pacific northwest and they get to use science-y sounding data - as long as they only use some of it.
Their source is the always comprehensive Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports which, like all good data, can be used for good or evil. When I wanted to show that Alabama religious people are more accepting of science than atheist hippies in Seattle, the CDC let me do it by showing their shockingly low levels of vaccine acceptance for children.
The authors foment their hysteria by carefully picking 8 cities and comparing the average deaths of babies the month prior to Fukushina with the deaths since. Result: Fukushima radiation is already killing babies.
How? Fixing data and mixing in a healthy dose of confirmation bias saves the day once again for the anti-science contingent of the left wing.
Michael Moyer at Scientific American has the takedown.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Schrodinger's equation in 1834 - a wild ass guess (WAG) like atoms being knots or particles being strings?
- Double Dose Of Bad Earthquake News
- Skyscraper Tall Telescope For Hawaii Mountain - Should Astronomers Build It?
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Why This New "Planet X" Is No Threat To Earth :).
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Glyphosate Now Most Popular Weed Killer In History, Laments Economist Chuck Benbrook
- "Person killed by meteorite: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/vellore-explosion..."
- " Not to put words in the authors mouth I believe what he is referring to is the attribution of..."
- "This is all just fear-mongering, clap-trap! If things go according to these prediction, but no..."
- "like the sages of israel say g-d created the rules and he dont owe anyone anything weather this..."
- "This is not surprising. In fact in a cohort with autism in general who did not have this specific..."
- Here’s Why Surge in Hepatitis B Cases is No Surprise
- Whooping Cough Booster Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Unapproved Stem Cell Therapies, a Public Health Menace
- Enjoying the Sun’s Vitamin D, While Blocking Skin Cancer
- Norovirus: From Satan’s Biohazard Lab To Your Duodenum
- Health Briefs: What You Missed Over the Weekend
- Allergy shots effective for baby boomers suffering from seasonal allergies
- Body temperature triggers newly developed polymer to change shape
- Biologists find genetic mechanism for 'extremophile' fish survival
- Some heart drugs and antibiotics show effective in fighting cancer
- The herbivore dilemma: How corn plants fights off simultaneous attacks