Barbarians don't get a lot of respect but a previously unknown ancient language buried in the ruins of a 2,800-year-old Middle Eastern palace may get them some.
Evidence of the long-lost language, probably spoken by a hitherto unknown people from the Zagros Mountains of western Ira, was translated to reveal the names of 60 women – probably prisoners-of-war or victims of an Assyrian forced population transfer program. But when the Cambridge archaeologist – Dr. John MacGinnis - began to examine the names in detail, he realized that 45 of them bore no resemblance to any of the thousands of ancient Middle Eastern names already known to scholars.
8th century B.C. Assyrian clay tablet with 45 mystery names written in cuneiform script. Link: The Independent.
Ancient language discovered on clay tablets found amid ruins of 2800 year old Middle Eastern palace by David Keys, The Independent
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- Non-Joulian Magnetostriction May Energize The World
- NaSt1 - One-Of-A-Kind 'Nasty' Star
- Why Does The Public Worry About GM Foods But Embrace Biotech Medicine?
- "If one is very strict about this adjective subatomic, then the only right answer is 3, of course..."
- "You do handle tough questions. That's what one can do only when one is basically right, and know..."
- "Thanks, glad you like the article and comments. That's okay, hopefully I can face a few tough questions..."
- "This is the Wolf-Rayet star (WR136) at the center of the Crescent Nebula ~5000 light years away...."
- "OK, I should have thought of that. If we consider the entire lead ion to be a subatomic particle..."