California is a jumble of progressive confusion. People like to pay $15 a dozen for organic, free range chicken eggs and subsidize solar energy, for example, but a clothesline - the most emissions free way to dry clothes ever, invented by ancient man - is illegal in most neighborhoods, and someone making homemade bread and selling it, a practice that got a lot of families through the Great Depression, is in violation of various laws.
Apparently only Big Organic is allowed to sell delicious foods where the chain of custody is well known by the creator and the consumer.
But if you aren't educated by advertising and can't afford Whole Paycheck Foods, homemade stuff may be ideal. California foodies do not want to hide in the shadows any more. "Handcrafted" "artisanal" and "homegrown" should not just be claims that corporations are allowed to make any more, they say.
They want cottage food laws, which 30 states not as oppressive as California have, that would allow sales of home-made goods half of those were passed since the Great Recession began in 2007. Will it happen? Unlikely, progressives are the enemies of freedom so regulations, permits and inspections take place over poorer people who can't afford an onerous $800 fee just to open a banking account being able to be self-sufficient in a state blighted by an anti-business mentality being able to make a living in a small business.
Foodies in California pushing for homemade food sales law - Associated Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Supertranslations And Eternal Ghosts: Black Holes No Closer To Being Understood
- Bel's Temple in Palmyra Is No More
- Highlights From ICNFP 2015
- If Happy Meal Law Passes, NYC Kids Will Frown
- Blade Runner: The Science In The Fiction
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- Is Smokeless Tobacco More Harmful Than Believed?
- "When you account for the following factors, such discrepancies disappear:-Men are more aggressive..."
- "The wavelength of the exiting radiation from the iguana asymptotically becomes zero, so I can't..."
- "The other thing that is weirdly suspicious is the picture mocking Hilarry Putnam. Now, the brains..."
- "My question is, exactly what was in this paper? He complains about the paper being rejected and..."
- "I wouldn't take it too hard buddy. Suppose they did publish it- then what, 20 more people might..."
- “Shock Therapy” – Not a Cuckoo’s Nest, a Valid Depression Rx
- Innate: Simplot genetically engineered potato gets USDA nod for deregulation
- Sorry, AIDS Deniers, It’s Only a Headline
- Mission Not Yet Accomplished on Vaccines
- Cigarettes, Now With An Organic Health Halo
- Bee Wary of Tales of the ‘Beepocalypse’
- Study reveals human body has gone through four stages of evolution
- Estimate claims plastic in 99 percent of seabirds by 2050 - but accuracy of the baseline is unknown
- Pollution and weather influence heart attack outcomes?
- Fish oil diet versus gut microbes
- Naps linked to reduced blood pressure and fewer medications