California is a jumble of progressive confusion. People like to pay $15 a dozen for organic, free range chicken eggs and subsidize solar energy, for example, but a clothesline - the most emissions free way to dry clothes ever, invented by ancient man - is illegal in most neighborhoods, and someone making homemade bread and selling it, a practice that got a lot of families through the Great Depression, is in violation of various laws.
Apparently only Big Organic is allowed to sell delicious foods where the chain of custody is well known by the creator and the consumer.
But if you aren't educated by advertising and can't afford Whole Paycheck Foods, homemade stuff may be ideal. California foodies do not want to hide in the shadows any more. "Handcrafted" "artisanal" and "homegrown" should not just be claims that corporations are allowed to make any more, they say.
They want cottage food laws, which 30 states not as oppressive as California have, that would allow sales of home-made goods half of those were passed since the Great Recession began in 2007. Will it happen? Unlikely, progressives are the enemies of freedom so regulations, permits and inspections take place over poorer people who can't afford an onerous $800 fee just to open a banking account being able to be self-sufficient in a state blighted by an anti-business mentality being able to make a living in a small business.
Foodies in California pushing for homemade food sales law - Associated Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- Almost One In Three US Adults Owns A Gun But Murder Rates Have Plummeted
- Why Horror Games Give Us The Fright We're Looking For
- The Missing Memristor Has NOT Been Found Published By Nature Group
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- Obese Teens Are Less Likely To Use Contraception
- EWG's Little Site Of Horrors
- "Where did you get that statistic? ..."
- "So from 20 times the gun linked murder rate of all other OECD countries down to 19.5 times? Still..."
- "Vegan parents investigated for neglect after baby son found severely malnourished - said they..."
- "Good news on two fronts.Although I get a kick out of insulting people now and then (OK, maybe a..."
- "Ugh, there are three paths I wish I could take this conversation now. History has taught me that..."