A new study says public school teachers earn way too much - public school teachers take home total compensation that's 52% higher than "fair market levels" for professionals with similar cognitive abilities. Summer vacation is what does it. Normalizing for hours worked, teachers worked an average of 36.5 hours per week at an average wage of $34.06 an hour, more than 61% of the other occupations the researchers examined, like architects, psychologists, chemists, mechanical engineers, economists, and journalists.
Another study found that teachers earn way too little for their skills. Using pay versus other college graduates and pay versus "comparable" occupations, they settled on 16 different other professions, including accountants, reporters, registered nurses, computer programmers, and clergy. Their conclusion was that even when you factor in benefits, compensation for public school teachers lags by 9%.
How can both be true? Jordan Weissmann writing The Atlantic makes sense from madness.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Age reversing drugs found from Mayo Clinic And Scripps Research Institute
- Spring Flukes: New 3-Sigma Signals From LHCb And ATLAS
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- Study Shows Association Between Migraine And Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- "Thanks for the post to let us know more about herpes...."
- " Fermi's Paradox seems to be assuming advanced civilizations would be biologic lifeforms instead..."
- "Ginger ale may be as close to salty as I can go...."
- "Hi Hank - lots of good comments - some I agree with - others not so much, LOL. The old saying of..."
- "It is a science site, which is why absolutely no one reading here agrees with your conclusion ..."