A new study says public school teachers earn way too much - public school teachers take home total compensation that's 52% higher than "fair market levels" for professionals with similar cognitive abilities. Summer vacation is what does it. Normalizing for hours worked, teachers worked an average of 36.5 hours per week at an average wage of $34.06 an hour, more than 61% of the other occupations the researchers examined, like architects, psychologists, chemists, mechanical engineers, economists, and journalists.
Another study found that teachers earn way too little for their skills. Using pay versus other college graduates and pay versus "comparable" occupations, they settled on 16 different other professions, including accountants, reporters, registered nurses, computer programmers, and clergy. Their conclusion was that even when you factor in benefits, compensation for public school teachers lags by 9%.
How can both be true? Jordan Weissmann writing The Atlantic makes sense from madness.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- The Chinese STEM Butterflies Of A 14-Year-Old Girl
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- Heal Non-Healing Wounds With Cold Plasma
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- How 'Super Aging' Seniors Retain Youthful Memory Abilities
- The Social Psychology of Presidential Election Polls, Part 1 of 2
- "Yes that's an example of a really insignificant asteroid that blew up into a media storm for no..."
- "They had to extend the deadline because the 4 AP 1000's likely won't come online by the very generous..."
- "hey robert you saw the news of an asteroid called 2009 ES ?? as saying there that he was discovered..."
- "No, no cause for concern at all :). It's just a new moon, such as happens once a month. When the..."
- "Nice quote! I googled around for this a bit more and stumbled on a graph that showed earth's energy..."
- Genetically Engineered Drug to Improve Safety of New Anti-clotting Meds
- Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump: Who’s Got the Stamina?
- Feeding Young Athletes
- Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump: Who’s Got the ‘Stamina?’
- Chess Success: From Intelligence or Relentless Practice?
- ACSH Performs #22PushUps Challenge
- Single-celled fungi multiply, alien-like, by fusing cells in host
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal