A new study says public school teachers earn way too much - public school teachers take home total compensation that's 52% higher than "fair market levels" for professionals with similar cognitive abilities. Summer vacation is what does it. Normalizing for hours worked, teachers worked an average of 36.5 hours per week at an average wage of $34.06 an hour, more than 61% of the other occupations the researchers examined, like architects, psychologists, chemists, mechanical engineers, economists, and journalists.
Another study found that teachers earn way too little for their skills. Using pay versus other college graduates and pay versus "comparable" occupations, they settled on 16 different other professions, including accountants, reporters, registered nurses, computer programmers, and clergy. Their conclusion was that even when you factor in benefits, compensation for public school teachers lags by 9%.
How can both be true? Jordan Weissmann writing The Atlantic makes sense from madness.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- 2004 BL86 - 'Near Miss' Asteroid Even Has Its Own Moon
- Reviews In Physics - A New Journal
- If Abortion Is A Choice Then Sex Selection Abortion Should Remain Legal
- Wiggles: Inconsistencies Undermine Model Reliability For Projecting Decade-To-Decade Warming
- Partly Wrong With A Chance Of Being Right: Why Are Weather Forecasts Still So Inaccurate?
- Happy 150th Birthday To Maxwell's Theory Of Electromagnetism
- Planet With Rings Found Outside Solar System - And They Are Bigger Than Saturn
- "New York City has to be the most disappointed. Corporate media companies can't call it Snowmageddon..."
- "Just the opposite. Wear a leather coat in the rain and see if it expands. The water will displace..."
- "Is anyone taking into account the footballs were wet and the leather would have expanded?..."
- "No, they are not. You are just making stuff up. Abortion is legal in all western nations..."
- "Human rights obligations to protect the most vulnerable human beings are universal. Get used to it...."