Real combat is scary but for helicopter pilots it just got a little more like a video game.
The latest version of the Army’s attack helicopter, the AH-64D Longbow Apache Block III, will have the usual enhancements everyone expects to see - fly faster and higher, etc. - but will also have something really interesting; Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) control, which means the pilot can now control the flight path, weapons systems and sensors on a drone. That's multiple eyes and attackers from one crew. Currently Apache crews coordinate with drone operators via radio.
An AH-64 Apache helicopter soars over the deserts near Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson, Ariz., during a combat search-and-rescue exercise in April 2010. The U.S. Army's Apache helicopter will be the first aircraft whose pilots will have the ability to control drones from their cockpit. Joshua L. DeMotts/Stars and Stripes
Faster, Meaner Apaches Allow Pilots to Control Drones in Battle by Seth Robson, Stars and Stripes
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- ATLAS Higgs Challenge Results
- Radical Rethink: Sugars Are The Only Cause Of Tooth Decay
- Drugs For Mild Hypertension In Low Risk People Questioned
- Genetically Modified Wheat, Without The GMO Drama
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Being Too Analytical Could Push Ethics Out The Door
- It's Almost 2015 - So Where Is My Hoverboard?
- "The barycenter of the Solar System wobbles due to the motion of the planets.Here..."
- "I wanted just to introduce another jargon, the machine learning one ;)..."
- "Hi Dario,as far as I know, there is no limit, other than decency, to the number of Higgses you..."
- "Hi Massimo,indeed, what you are referring to I call look-elsewhere effect, although it is a generalized..."
- "Hi Tommaso, nice entry! I have a quite straightforward question: is there any theoretical hindrance..."
- Neuroimaging technique identifies concussion-related brain disease in living brain
- Lactation linked to reduced estrogen receptor-negative, triple-negative breast cancer risk
- Molecular mechanisms of the suppression of axon regeneration by KLF transcription factors
- Give progesterone a chance
- The role of DJ-1 in the oxidative stress cell death cascade after stroke