Real combat is scary but for helicopter pilots it just got a little more like a video game.
The latest version of the Army’s attack helicopter, the AH-64D Longbow Apache Block III, will have the usual enhancements everyone expects to see - fly faster and higher, etc. - but will also have something really interesting; Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) control, which means the pilot can now control the flight path, weapons systems and sensors on a drone. That's multiple eyes and attackers from one crew. Currently Apache crews coordinate with drone operators via radio.
An AH-64 Apache helicopter soars over the deserts near Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson, Ariz., during a combat search-and-rescue exercise in April 2010. The U.S. Army's Apache helicopter will be the first aircraft whose pilots will have the ability to control drones from their cockpit. Joshua L. DeMotts/Stars and Stripes
Faster, Meaner Apaches Allow Pilots to Control Drones in Battle by Seth Robson, Stars and Stripes
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- Study Shows Men Attracted to Transgender Women are NOT Gay. DUH!
- Hummingbirds Rely On Raw Power, Not Physique, To Outmaneuver Rivals
- "well my mind was just easing of this thing then I went on before its news and there is a video..."
- "why would people say this thing is real if its not obvisualy there going to make there selfs look..."
- "The videos they post, all the ones I've seen, are: Lens flares Offset lens or lens cover reflections..."
- "I no u keep saying this is a hoax and nibiru is not real but its a big hoax then because there..."
- "I no u keep saying this is a hoax and this nibiru is not real but its a big hoax then because there..."