Real combat is scary but for helicopter pilots it just got a little more like a video game.
The latest version of the Army’s attack helicopter, the AH-64D Longbow Apache Block III, will have the usual enhancements everyone expects to see - fly faster and higher, etc. - but will also have something really interesting; Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) control, which means the pilot can now control the flight path, weapons systems and sensors on a drone. That's multiple eyes and attackers from one crew. Currently Apache crews coordinate with drone operators via radio.
An AH-64 Apache helicopter soars over the deserts near Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson, Ariz., during a combat search-and-rescue exercise in April 2010. The U.S. Army's Apache helicopter will be the first aircraft whose pilots will have the ability to control drones from their cockpit. Joshua L. DeMotts/Stars and Stripes
Faster, Meaner Apaches Allow Pilots to Control Drones in Battle by Seth Robson, Stars and Stripes
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "Quark colors are considered in the framework of the SM weak interactions for the first time. In..."
- "Yes absolutely. Nobody has predicted any astronomical event successfully from the Bible. And it..."
- "so this vídeo armageddon News is fake???..."
- "...not tracking donaldtrump2. The above piece is a fictionalized scenario of Iran testing an atomic..."
- "Yes, they can, fake, hoax, or misunderstandings. The thing is that this Nibiru idea is so general..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes