Real combat is scary but for helicopter pilots it just got a little more like a video game.
The latest version of the Army’s attack helicopter, the AH-64D Longbow Apache Block III, will have the usual enhancements everyone expects to see - fly faster and higher, etc. - but will also have something really interesting; Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS) control, which means the pilot can now control the flight path, weapons systems and sensors on a drone. That's multiple eyes and attackers from one crew. Currently Apache crews coordinate with drone operators via radio.
An AH-64 Apache helicopter soars over the deserts near Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson, Ariz., during a combat search-and-rescue exercise in April 2010. The U.S. Army's Apache helicopter will be the first aircraft whose pilots will have the ability to control drones from their cockpit. Joshua L. DeMotts/Stars and Stripes
Faster, Meaner Apaches Allow Pilots to Control Drones in Battle by Seth Robson, Stars and Stripes
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- For Now We See Through A Brewing Class, Darkly
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- "Thanks, that makes sense, are you in agreement with these that I just found?http://www.reddit.com/r/AskPhysics/comments/2f8hsh/does_reflection_necessarily_redshift_photons/http..."
- "Hello Josh Bloom, I am happy to respond to your specific challenges. People readily drink ethanol..."
- "Oregon has some interesting laws for instance though you may elect to kill yourself you can't pump..."
- "Hi ThorYou said:This explanation seems to say that the doppler shift would be the same for large..."
- "Uh, Hank is our president now. And we see eye to eye on just about everything. I was responding..."
- Genetic tug of war in the brain influences behavior
- New method to predict the amount of nicotine emitted from e-cigarettes
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control