Autism diagnoses may have officially jumped the shark when being smart, organized and antisocial is 'on the spectrum' - basically, 65% of the population can be qualified and a whole lot more in science and engineering.
Writing in Nature, Lizzie Buchen outlines how the idea that the parents of autistic children, and the children themselves, have an aptitude for understanding and analysing predictable, rule-based systems came to be; the genes that endow parents with minds suited to technical tasks could lead to autism when passed on to their children, especially when combined with a dose of similar genes from a like-minded mate. And how Simon Baron-Cohen promoted the idea.
It has an air of truthiness, as Simon Baron-Cohen always does, and it is probably a realistic premise if you have no clue about biology.
What famous scientist isn't (or wasn't) autistic when the criteria become so broad? I can't think of any. The downside is that while it gets headlines for Baron-Cohen, it does a real disservice to parents who are dealing with children who have real autism but who will be increasingly regarded as engaging in faddish pop psychology diagnoses.
The problem is the same thing we see in too many psychology studies that draw conclusions; they use self-reported surveys. So people can object to concerns that psychology in the last few decades lacks the rigor to be called science, but it would sure help if they would continue to hold famous people in psychology accountable to using scientific rigor.
Scientists and autism: When geeks meet - by Lizzie Buchen published online 2 November 2011, Nature 479, 25-27 doi:10.1038/479025a
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Top Scientists Chastise Greenpeace
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- "Essentially you are saying Mark these Nobel Laureates are wrong and you are right. This is commendable..."
- "So what was the precipitating event which caused your re-evaluation?..."
- "I try this one... I am a bit rusty, so my solution can be dramatically wrong. Given that B is uniform..."
- "wow! with a name like Wilhelmina Pelegrina, she can't do no wrong. also,some of the problems in..."
- "This is the best you could do? Golden Rice is in the public domain - the lack of any corporate..."
- Happy World Hepatitis Day!
- Ovarian Cancer – Redux
- New York Is Second In Health Care Premiums, Last In Hospital Quality
- USPSTF Advisory on Skin Cancer Screening Provokes Concerns from Docs
- Cancer As Modern Lifestyle Disease? Only If There Was Processed Food 2 Million Years Ago
- Blood Test for Alzheimer’s: Close Or Hype?