The Indiana Jones movies are good when they have some basis in real stuff - like Nazis and the Ark of the Covenant in "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" and Templars and...well, Nazis again...in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".
When Steven Spielberg ventured into fake temples and 1950s alien hokum, we got movies better left to AFI members to have to endure. So for Indiana Jones 5, he should throw out whatever bad idea he is working on and read about Qin Shi Huang's tomb. The first emperor of China created a courtyard-style palace tomb inside a 22-square-mile mortuary compound guarded by more than 6,000 full-size statues of warriors, musicians and acrobats.
The buried palace measures 2,263 by 820 feet and includes 18 courtyard houses overlooked by a main building. That's 6,003,490 cubic feet, one fourth the size of the Forbidden City in Beijing, for just one tomb.
So what is the problem? Start exploring. Chinese archaeologists are more of the modern 'we don't dig' kind than the Indiana Jones adventurer myth; and they believe his burial place is full of deadly traps that will kill any trespassers. Not to talk about deadly quantities of mercury.
Archaeologists Think Hidden Imperial Tomb May Be Too Deadly to Explore by Jesus Diaz, Gizmodo.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Smoking, Drinking And Eating: It's Not About Your Freedom
- Chronic Pain Isn't All In The Brain
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- Like Collaboration And Intelligence In Humans? Thank War
- Diversity Fatigue: Why Businesses Struggle To Close The Gender Gap
- "There is no question they were created to cater to universities and are staffed by people from..."
- "And my second link should be not a copy of the first, but this: http://www.nature.com/news/half..."
- "Recently I saw The Conversation remove/censor legitimate comments arguing against an article written..."
- tags because there's no testing..." href="/robert_inventor/why_we_cant_backup_earth_on_mars_the_moon_or_anywhere_else_in_our_solar_system-148364#comment-182183">"Robert, you might want to reformat my post. I intended to highlight only the headlines for easy..."
- "My only complaint with good thinkers and writers has hither always been that they should produce..."
- Behavioral interventions to prevent progression to diabetes equally effective in men and women
- Gender differences in adaptation to space flight
- Long-term complication rate low in nose job using patient's own rib cartilage
- Survival differences seen for advanced-stage laryngeal cancer
- Effect of once-daily, low-dose aspirin on heart attack deaths and other outcomes