The Indiana Jones movies are good when they have some basis in real stuff - like Nazis and the Ark of the Covenant in "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" and Templars and...well, Nazis again...in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".
When Steven Spielberg ventured into fake temples and 1950s alien hokum, we got movies better left to AFI members to have to endure. So for Indiana Jones 5, he should throw out whatever bad idea he is working on and read about Qin Shi Huang's tomb. The first emperor of China created a courtyard-style palace tomb inside a 22-square-mile mortuary compound guarded by more than 6,000 full-size statues of warriors, musicians and acrobats.
The buried palace measures 2,263 by 820 feet and includes 18 courtyard houses overlooked by a main building. That's 6,003,490 cubic feet, one fourth the size of the Forbidden City in Beijing, for just one tomb.
So what is the problem? Start exploring. Chinese archaeologists are more of the modern 'we don't dig' kind than the Indiana Jones adventurer myth; and they believe his burial place is full of deadly traps that will kill any trespassers. Not to talk about deadly quantities of mercury.
Archaeologists Think Hidden Imperial Tomb May Be Too Deadly to Explore by Jesus Diaz, Gizmodo.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Chinese STEM Butterflies Of A 14-Year-Old Girl
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- Heal Non-Healing Wounds With Cold Plasma
- How 'Super Aging' Seniors Retain Youthful Memory Abilities
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- Rosetta Crashes Into A Comet - On Purpose
- "I am the Salieri to your Mozart - able to recognize genius but never attain it. But I appreciate..."
- "Just found this, interesting hypothesis that some life on Mars could use a mixture of water and..."
- "Another earlier cite - Is there a common chemical model for life in the universe? (2004)..."
- "Yes that's an example of a really insignificant asteroid that blew up into a media storm for no..."
- "They had to extend the deadline because the 4 AP 1000's likely won't come online by the very generous..."
- Stay Away From Homeopathic Teething Remedies Warns the FDA
- FDA warns against homeopathic teething remedies
- Genetically Engineered Drug to Improve Safety of New Anti-clotting Meds
- Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump: Who’s Got the Stamina?
- Feeding Young Athletes
- Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump: Who’s Got the ‘Stamina?’
- Single-celled fungi multiply, alien-like, by fusing cells in host
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal