The Indiana Jones movies are good when they have some basis in real stuff - like Nazis and the Ark of the Covenant in "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" and Templars and...well, Nazis again...in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".
When Steven Spielberg ventured into fake temples and 1950s alien hokum, we got movies better left to AFI members to have to endure. So for Indiana Jones 5, he should throw out whatever bad idea he is working on and read about Qin Shi Huang's tomb. The first emperor of China created a courtyard-style palace tomb inside a 22-square-mile mortuary compound guarded by more than 6,000 full-size statues of warriors, musicians and acrobats.
The buried palace measures 2,263 by 820 feet and includes 18 courtyard houses overlooked by a main building. That's 6,003,490 cubic feet, one fourth the size of the Forbidden City in Beijing, for just one tomb.
So what is the problem? Start exploring. Chinese archaeologists are more of the modern 'we don't dig' kind than the Indiana Jones adventurer myth; and they believe his burial place is full of deadly traps that will kill any trespassers. Not to talk about deadly quantities of mercury.
Archaeologists Think Hidden Imperial Tomb May Be Too Deadly to Explore by Jesus Diaz, Gizmodo.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lichen: Apparently Happy Couple Really A Threesome
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Curcumin And Silymarin Plant Compounds Give '1-2' Punch To Colon Cancer
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- Are Think Tanks More Credible To Government Employees? Not Really
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "Okay, just to pick up on one thing. First, the NASA rover are tested in various deserts, and so..."
- "The moon landings was fake actually all the Apollo missions were fear of the cold war and countries..."
- "Its fairly hard to belive one person who says its not real to the thousands of people who say it..."
- "Small correction: her diagnosis of Lyme disease is also highly dubious. There is a growing cult..."
- "No, it's not. Planets can hide behind the sun for half the year, but it's impossible for a planet..."
- Parasite proteins prompt immune system to fight off ovarian tumors in mice
- Behavioral activation as effective as CBT for depression, at lower cost
- The Lancet: Simpler, cheaper psychological treatment as effective as cognitive behavioural therapy for treating depression
- Ultrasensitive sensor using N-doped graphene
- Brain activity and response to food cues differ in severely obese women, UTSW study shows