The Indiana Jones movies are good when they have some basis in real stuff - like Nazis and the Ark of the Covenant in "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" and Templars and...well, Nazis again...in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade".
When Steven Spielberg ventured into fake temples and 1950s alien hokum, we got movies better left to AFI members to have to endure. So for Indiana Jones 5, he should throw out whatever bad idea he is working on and read about Qin Shi Huang's tomb. The first emperor of China created a courtyard-style palace tomb inside a 22-square-mile mortuary compound guarded by more than 6,000 full-size statues of warriors, musicians and acrobats.
The buried palace measures 2,263 by 820 feet and includes 18 courtyard houses overlooked by a main building. That's 6,003,490 cubic feet, one fourth the size of the Forbidden City in Beijing, for just one tomb.
So what is the problem? Start exploring. Chinese archaeologists are more of the modern 'we don't dig' kind than the Indiana Jones adventurer myth; and they believe his burial place is full of deadly traps that will kill any trespassers. Not to talk about deadly quantities of mercury.
Archaeologists Think Hidden Imperial Tomb May Be Too Deadly to Explore by Jesus Diaz, Gizmodo.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Robot Tongue Identifies The Correct Beer Every Time
- Why Does The Public Worry About GM Foods But Embrace Biotech Medicine?
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Did The Scottish Settle Iceland A Century Before The Norse?
- Your Probiotic Probably Has Gluten
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- Rotating Or Mixing? Science Determines The Best Way To Slow Herbicide-Resistant Weeds
- "Hank,I am not sure if you were the reason for the PNAS thing. I remember learning about the..."
- "64. Combo of Overweight, High Sodium Intake Speeds Cell Aging in Teens. March 20th, 2014 http://blog..."
- " This pretty well destroys the Myth of second hand smoke: Lungs from pack-a-day smokers safe for..."
- "This is a good start, but describing the waste stream of nuclear power in terms of carbon production..."
- "Knowing this would a mitochondrial superoxide like MitoQ be beneficial or harmful?..."