In western civilization, New Year's Resolutions are a big deal. A new year means a new opportunity to meet goals - and losing weight is a popular one.
But do they work? People binge like crazy during the holidays and heavy people were not eating moderately before that. So dieters are already in the hole, weightwise. And eating less food is hard.
Writing at Policy Mic, Cameron English says 80% of all dieters fail to lose weight, and one-third even gain additional weight but their health loss may be psychology's gain. The big question they want to address us: Why is willpower so useless when it's most needed?
Why So Many New Year's Weight Loss Resolutions Fail by Cameron English, PolicyMic.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- Vegan Diets Works Better For Weight Loss Than Vegetarian Or Atkins
- High-Fat Diet And Natural Hormone May Alleviate Mitochondrial Disease
- Collinsium Ciliosum: New Species Of ‘Super-Armored’ Worm Discovered
- Antibiotic Incentives: Marketing Vs. Education
- Jupiter And Venus Conjunction
- "I read somewhere that a study showed that a telescope at Venus' orbit would not find any asteroids..."
- "May I suggest you read this blog Sugar and Fat Absorption Increased In Obesity http://medicalresearch..."
- "Well all calories are equal until they enter the body. Sugar and Fat Absorption Increased In Obesity..."
- "You say: A vegan diet remains controversial because it is in defiance of our evolutionary mandate..."
- "I am SUCH an idiot. I remember when those hideous things came out. 1970s. Duh. I actually..."
- Phase IIb Pivotal Clinical Study of P2B001 for the Treatment of Early Stage Parkinson's Disease
- Women's faces get redder at ovulation, but human eyes can't pick up on it
- Friction reduction breakthrough is not snake oil
- Is abortion in America about to get restricted?
- South Africans used milk-based paint 49,000 years ago