It's not biology versus physics but in many ways it is science versus culture: Peter Higgs, he of the Higgs Boson, colloquially called 'the God particle', doesn't think much of Richard Dawkins, the biologist not famous for biology but rather for hating religion.
Why does Dawkins, and by extension a number of biologists, hate religion so much and why don't more physicists give a crap? Don't physicists see that religion is solely responsible for all of the evils of the world, as Dawkins and his acolytes do?
Well, no, physicists don't. Denying the benefits of a liturgical society to engage in some personal vendetta is silly. When is the last time a group founded on atheism put boots on the ground after a natural disaster, or set out to help starving people? Never, but religious groups do it all of the time and get very little publicity for it. Not every religious person is some crackpot Young Earth Creationist, just like not every Organic Food shopper is a crackpot anti-vaccine person too.
Why would Higgs get into all that now? The Nobel Committee has shown itself to be unfailingly political so they may not like him taking on Britain's most famous science personality. It's not like he is religious, he just seems to deny the 'evidence by anecdote' Dawkins uses, like when Alok Jha relates him telling some story of a girl who got molested by a religious person (of course - only religious people abuse kids) but was treated worse by her parents. He lambastes religious people for not being evidence-based and then happily recounts anecdotes as fact. That is what we call irony.
Higgs was in a Spanish publication so he probably felt like he could vent a little. But, no, the Dawkins faithful are everywhere. Or maybe he just felt like this was a long time coming. Higgs will be remembered for 21st century physics, Dawkins will be remembered for intolerance and creating silly divides in the 20th century. if you have to pick a legacy, choose that first one.
Peter Higgs criticises Richard Dawkins over anti-religious 'fundamentalism' by Alok Jha, Guardian
Ciudad del año 2012: CERN, la máquina que desveló el cemento del Universo by Pablo Jáuregui, El Mundo
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Genetic Clues Of Severe Food Allergy
- 3X Saturated Fat In The Diet Doesn't Increase It In Blood
- Is Religion A Consolation Worth Having?
- Want A Man To Help? High Heels Work
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- Still No Contact with NASA's Sun-watching Probe
- "Mr Martinez, Your reply does not address the argument. No one is claiming that all evil is done..."
- "I have been growing organic tomatoes using a leachate made from Mighty Grow Organics 4-3-4 pelletized..."
- "You seem to believe that reality depends or one's viewpoint rather than vice versa. Reality is..."
- "Another option, or alternative strategies, is probiotics. I’ve done a lot of research on probiotics..."
- "Belief in god(s) is certianly not the only factor leading to atrocities, but it is one of the factors..."
- Modified DNA backbone enables success of existing and novel oligonucleotide therapeutics
- Gene in kidney may play role in high blood pressure
- Panel-based genetic diagnostic testing for inherited eye disease proves highly accurate
- Research finds tooth enamel fast-track in humans
- Good news for cocaine users: Caffeine counters cocaine's effects on women's estrus cycles