Carl Zimmer always has interesting insights on both science and the state of science. As a respected writer with a broad base he is going to survive anything that happens in the future of science media but it's because of his ability to see the future of what will be important in science that earned him that position.
"As I got more familiar with the microbiome, it became clear to me that scientists won’t be able to handle its complexity without thinking like ecologists" - a multidisciplinary approach few saw coming. Instead, most people speculated all the important work in biology would be done by physicists.
From bacteria to the brain, he covered it all in 2011- and his column, "The Loom", turned 8. We're all the better for his endurance.
2011: A Letter from the Loom - Carl Zimmer, Discover
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Spring Flukes: New 3-Sigma Signals From LHCb And ATLAS
- New Autism-causing Genetic Variant Identified
- Study Shows Association Between Migraine And Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- "You are comparing apples and oranges with your 14% and 4% figures. Rogers' number includes ADHD..."
- "Who are we kidding our education systems (worldwide) are designed for the average child? Yes there..."
- " Fermi's Paradox seems to be assuming advanced civilizations would be biologic lifeforms instead..."
- "Ginger ale may be as close to salty as I can go...."
- "Hi Hank - lots of good comments - some I agree with - others not so much, LOL. The old saying of..."
- Global warming not fueling pine beetle outbreaks in western U.S.
- Illegal cocoa farms threaten Ivory Coast primates
- Zeiss semiconductor imaging tech creates a 'Google Maps' for the body
- Short bouts of high-intensity exercise before a fatty meal best for vascular health
- 1 of 32 hockey helmets earn 3-star rating