Carl Zimmer always has interesting insights on both science and the state of science. As a respected writer with a broad base he is going to survive anything that happens in the future of science media but it's because of his ability to see the future of what will be important in science that earned him that position.
"As I got more familiar with the microbiome, it became clear to me that scientists won’t be able to handle its complexity without thinking like ecologists" - a multidisciplinary approach few saw coming. Instead, most people speculated all the important work in biology would be done by physicists.
From bacteria to the brain, he covered it all in 2011- and his column, "The Loom", turned 8. We're all the better for his endurance.
2011: A Letter from the Loom - Carl Zimmer, Discover
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- Vladimir Putin Thinks The World Of Sepp Blatter
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- "Hi ThorYou said:This explanation seems to say that the doppler shift would be the same for large..."
- "Uh, Hank is our president now. And we see eye to eye on just about everything. I was responding..."
- "The cause of hangovers is not known. Let me suggest the most likely, and something none of you..."
- "Like ethanol, but with only one carbon instead of two, methanol even more readily enters every..."
- "Somehow, this makes even less sense then what you wrote before. ESL?..."
- Genetic tug of war in the brain influences behavior
- New method to predict the amount of nicotine emitted from e-cigarettes
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control