Vincent Dammai, a researcher at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston, S.C., has been arrested by the FBI for supplying stem cells for use in unapproved stem cell therapies in violation of federal US Food and Drug Administration laws.
Unproven stem cell therapies are unethical but the hype over human embryonic stem cell research (a backlash of the Bush administration's limitation of federal funding to existing lines in 2001) has made people gullible about what stem cell
can do. Many private stem cell clinics rely on scientists in the field who supply cell lines, growth media and other reagents needed to harness stem cells, often unknowingly. "Stem cell tourism" can be reduced by only sharing stem cells and other reagents with those who intend to use them appropriately.
Alberto Ramon, of Del Rio, Texas, a licensed midwife, obtained umbilical cord blood from mothers who had given birth and sold the blood to Global Laboratories of Scottsdale. They sent the tissue to Dammai, who used university facilities to derive cord blood stem cells and then sent the cells back to Global. The owner of Global Laboratories was convicted in August of selling unauthorized stem cell products across state lines.
American scientist arrested in stem-cell clinic sting by Ewen Callaway, Nature News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- USDA Microbiologist Warns Bacteria In Vaping Products May Be A Health Concern
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- Gödel,Frenkel, Kurzweil, and Hawkins on AI
- 20 Cent School Intervention Stops Unhealthy Weight Gain In Children
- Control Cancer By Making The Tumor Cell Environment Hostile
- A Great Blitz Game
- "Its real isnt it sir please god dont let it be real. Charles..."
- "Well maybe we just have to differ there. I agree that there are myths associated with global warming..."
- "NIBIRU HERE NIBIRU THERE NIBIRU APPEARS TO BE EVERYWERE its coming approaching mr walker you need..."
- "Sorry, I don't know what you are talking about here. Remember, all the planets and minor planets..."
- "I've had no problems with my comments being hidden. Just Captcha working so poorly here sometimes..."
- Breast Cancer: Genomics May Show Where Chemo Might Not Be Needed
- Gallup Poll: Great Example of How to Bias a Social Science Study
- Another Kardashian Craze Debunked
- Fad Friday: Ditch The Body Wrap!
- Commonly Cited Stat of 10 Bacteria for Every 1 Human Cell Is Wrong
- Why The EpiPen And Other Generic Drugs Are So Expensive
- Heart failure in the elderly set to triple by 2060
- Up to 80 percent of heart failure patients denied therapy to reduce hospitalization and death
- Increased risk of death for heart failure patients with each NHS hospital admission
- Nebivolol prevents anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity
- Traffic accidents increased by 50 percent in patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillator