Vincent Dammai, a researcher at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston, S.C., has been arrested by the FBI for supplying stem cells for use in unapproved stem cell therapies in violation of federal US Food and Drug Administration laws.
Unproven stem cell therapies are unethical but the hype over human embryonic stem cell research (a backlash of the Bush administration's limitation of federal funding to existing lines in 2001) has made people gullible about what stem cell
can do. Many private stem cell clinics rely on scientists in the field who supply cell lines, growth media and other reagents needed to harness stem cells, often unknowingly. "Stem cell tourism" can be reduced by only sharing stem cells and other reagents with those who intend to use them appropriately.
Alberto Ramon, of Del Rio, Texas, a licensed midwife, obtained umbilical cord blood from mothers who had given birth and sold the blood to Global Laboratories of Scottsdale. They sent the tissue to Dammai, who used university facilities to derive cord blood stem cells and then sent the cells back to Global. The owner of Global Laboratories was convicted in August of selling unauthorized stem cell products across state lines.
American scientist arrested in stem-cell clinic sting by Ewen Callaway, Nature News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- The Social Psychology of Presidential Election Polls, Part 1 of 2
- How Would You Like A Kitchen Surface That Cleans Itself?
- Wetlands And Agriculture, Not Fossil Fuels, Behind The Global Rise In Methane
- Vitamin D Could Help Control TB In Animals
- "No, no cause for concern at all :). It's just a new moon, such as happens once a month. When the..."
- "Nice quote! I googled around for this a bit more and stumbled on a graph that showed earth's energy..."
- "hey robert you ta knowing that tomorrow will be a phenomenon on the moon called black moon ???..."
- "Oh, that's a really interesting point, hadn't thought of that. I agree! Perhaps the most advanced..."
- "Yes that's what I'm saying :). If you want more reassurance do message me on quora, quite a few..."
- ACSH Performs #22PushUps Challenge
- American Horror Story: First Ebola, Then Zika. Is Chagas Next?
- Kratom Is A Drug By Any Measure - Treat It Like One
- San Francisco Soda Tax: A Feel-Good Policy Based on Junk Science
- Watson and Crick did not discover DNA
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Single-celled fungi multiply, alien-like, by fusing cells in host
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal