Vincent Dammai, a researcher at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston, S.C., has been arrested by the FBI for supplying stem cells for use in unapproved stem cell therapies in violation of federal US Food and Drug Administration laws.
Unproven stem cell therapies are unethical but the hype over human embryonic stem cell research (a backlash of the Bush administration's limitation of federal funding to existing lines in 2001) has made people gullible about what stem cell
can do. Many private stem cell clinics rely on scientists in the field who supply cell lines, growth media and other reagents needed to harness stem cells, often unknowingly. "Stem cell tourism" can be reduced by only sharing stem cells and other reagents with those who intend to use them appropriately.
Alberto Ramon, of Del Rio, Texas, a licensed midwife, obtained umbilical cord blood from mothers who had given birth and sold the blood to Global Laboratories of Scottsdale. They sent the tissue to Dammai, who used university facilities to derive cord blood stem cells and then sent the cells back to Global. The owner of Global Laboratories was convicted in August of selling unauthorized stem cell products across state lines.
American scientist arrested in stem-cell clinic sting by Ewen Callaway, Nature News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Swarm Bots Kill Mass Shooter
- Unlocking The Secrets Of Nerve Regeneration
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition 4 Millon Signatures, Nearly 12% Of Total Votes Cast
- Extinction: The Asteroid That Got The Dinosaurs Almost Got All Mammals Too
- Legions Of Immune Cells In The Lung Keep Legionella At Bay
- Human Early Visual Cortex Subconsciously Resolves Invisible Conflicts
- "New video to add to this article, astronaut Tim Peake spinning at very high speed in the ISS, not..."
- "A scientific approach is the only way one can really be assured that a treatment has merits. The..."
- "Bollocks! You will find the possible side effects listed are a exhaustive precautionary list of..."
- "Sorry, but even using the term allopath shows your bias. That is a term invented by the creator..."
- "Lets make something clear- most of you are arguing past each other on topics that are too broad..."
- Vice President Joe Biden Threatens the Scientific Community
- Why Some Sounds Make Us Cringe
- Over 100 Nobel Laureates Condemn Greenpeace for Opposing Golden Rice
- New Team Member: Dr. Alex Berezow
- New Investigation Will Examine Breast Cancer Recurrence Post Weight Loss
- DIY Biohacking: Unethical, Fringe and Probably Necessary to Advance Science
- Researchers find surface of Mercury arose from deep inside the planet
- Fire discovery sheds new light on 'hobbit' demise
- Synthesized microporous 3-D graphene-like carbons
- Country pledges overshoot Paris temperature limit
- Kaiser Permanente study: National rates of death due to heart disease, stroke leveling off