Vincent Dammai, a researcher at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston, S.C., has been arrested by the FBI for supplying stem cells for use in unapproved stem cell therapies in violation of federal US Food and Drug Administration laws.
Unproven stem cell therapies are unethical but the hype over human embryonic stem cell research (a backlash of the Bush administration's limitation of federal funding to existing lines in 2001) has made people gullible about what stem cell
can do. Many private stem cell clinics rely on scientists in the field who supply cell lines, growth media and other reagents needed to harness stem cells, often unknowingly. "Stem cell tourism" can be reduced by only sharing stem cells and other reagents with those who intend to use them appropriately.
Alberto Ramon, of Del Rio, Texas, a licensed midwife, obtained umbilical cord blood from mothers who had given birth and sold the blood to Global Laboratories of Scottsdale. They sent the tissue to Dammai, who used university facilities to derive cord blood stem cells and then sent the cells back to Global. The owner of Global Laboratories was convicted in August of selling unauthorized stem cell products across state lines.
American scientist arrested in stem-cell clinic sting by Ewen Callaway, Nature News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The World Is Not Going To End A Few Hours From Now! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story In Telegraph
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- Apollo Astronauts And Cardiovascular-Related Deaths
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "This is just AWFUL - the worst case of irresponsible journalism I have ever seen. An article in..."
- "Zoran:I didn't say I can't see any bearing. Instead, I unequivocally said Nothing you have written..."
- "Sorry for perhaps being not clear again: I always revise stuff if I find out that I have written..."
- "Essentially you are saying Mark these Nobel Laureates are wrong and you are right. This is commendable..."
- "So what was the precipitating event which caused your re-evaluation?..."
- Lattice structure absorbs vibrations
- Researchers pinpoint abrupt onset of modern day Indian Ocean monsoon system
- The discovery of new emission lines from highly charged heavy ions
- Molecular troublemakers instead of antibiotics?
- A research project coordinated by UC3M helps reduce the cost of parallel computing