Vincent Dammai, a researcher at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston, S.C., has been arrested by the FBI for supplying stem cells for use in unapproved stem cell therapies in violation of federal US Food and Drug Administration laws.
Unproven stem cell therapies are unethical but the hype over human embryonic stem cell research (a backlash of the Bush administration's limitation of federal funding to existing lines in 2001) has made people gullible about what stem cell
can do. Many private stem cell clinics rely on scientists in the field who supply cell lines, growth media and other reagents needed to harness stem cells, often unknowingly. "Stem cell tourism" can be reduced by only sharing stem cells and other reagents with those who intend to use them appropriately.
Alberto Ramon, of Del Rio, Texas, a licensed midwife, obtained umbilical cord blood from mothers who had given birth and sold the blood to Global Laboratories of Scottsdale. They sent the tissue to Dammai, who used university facilities to derive cord blood stem cells and then sent the cells back to Global. The owner of Global Laboratories was convicted in August of selling unauthorized stem cell products across state lines.
American scientist arrested in stem-cell clinic sting by Ewen Callaway, Nature News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Case For Moon: Gateway For Open Ended Exploration, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Why We Get Tired When We Stay Up Too Late
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- We’re Not In Europe Any More: BfR Statement On EDCs Embraces The Risk-Based Approach
- Even Light Drinkers Should Watch For Fatty Liver Disease
- When It Comes To Replicating Psychology Studies, Good Luck
- "Oh, okay, glad you aren't worried about little asteroids. Yes I agree, I haven't come across that..."
- "Hello Dario,no copies are made of the same event - the triggering and the data storage are two..."
- "Yes, as the numbers are averages, there is this possibility - actually it happens all the time..."
- "And: Comparative efficacy of homeopathic and allopathic systems of medicine in the management of..."
- "It is not nonsense, it is fact. Do some research. If you and others were correct there should,..."
- Silencing cholera's social media
- More than half of EU citizens questioned now think e-cigarettes are harmful
- DIY sampling kits accessed through gay men's social media unearth new HIV cases
- 'Suggestive evidence' for link between air pollution and heightened stillbirth risk
- Prohibition 2016: Assessing the UK's Psychoactive Substances Act