Vincent Dammai, a researcher at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston, S.C., has been arrested by the FBI for supplying stem cells for use in unapproved stem cell therapies in violation of federal US Food and Drug Administration laws.
Unproven stem cell therapies are unethical but the hype over human embryonic stem cell research (a backlash of the Bush administration's limitation of federal funding to existing lines in 2001) has made people gullible about what stem cell
can do. Many private stem cell clinics rely on scientists in the field who supply cell lines, growth media and other reagents needed to harness stem cells, often unknowingly. "Stem cell tourism" can be reduced by only sharing stem cells and other reagents with those who intend to use them appropriately.
Alberto Ramon, of Del Rio, Texas, a licensed midwife, obtained umbilical cord blood from mothers who had given birth and sold the blood to Global Laboratories of Scottsdale. They sent the tissue to Dammai, who used university facilities to derive cord blood stem cells and then sent the cells back to Global. The owner of Global Laboratories was convicted in August of selling unauthorized stem cell products across state lines.
American scientist arrested in stem-cell clinic sting by Ewen Callaway, Nature News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- As Dawn Approaches, The First Color Images Of Ceres
- Can Moons Have Moonlets? Or Rings?
- Eyes Are On The James Webb Space Telescope As Hubble's 25th Anniversary Approaches
- Artificial Photosynthesis: Solar-Powered Green Chemistry Rehabilitates CO2
- Myth: You Have To Finish All Your Antibiotics
- LEM - Newly Discovered Protein Boosts Immunity To Cancer
- Dr. Henry Miller To Columbia: Give Oz The Boot
- "Indeed. Sir, your analysis explains exactly how I got those misconceptions. On the 2nd misconception..."
- "HELP for Info on antibiotic resistance (to other antibiotics) from taking 100mg doxycycline daily..."
- "Your words hurt a guy who looks at space for a living. Anyway, they have two dozen editors but..."
- "What do you expect from a wormeater? This website seems to be a joke, and not in an onion sort..."
- "Europa is a moon of Jupiter. You have it as a moon of Saturn in the caption of the photo...."