Vincent Dammai, a researcher at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston, S.C., has been arrested by the FBI for supplying stem cells for use in unapproved stem cell therapies in violation of federal US Food and Drug Administration laws.
Unproven stem cell therapies are unethical but the hype over human embryonic stem cell research (a backlash of the Bush administration's limitation of federal funding to existing lines in 2001) has made people gullible about what stem cell
can do. Many private stem cell clinics rely on scientists in the field who supply cell lines, growth media and other reagents needed to harness stem cells, often unknowingly. "Stem cell tourism" can be reduced by only sharing stem cells and other reagents with those who intend to use them appropriately.
Alberto Ramon, of Del Rio, Texas, a licensed midwife, obtained umbilical cord blood from mothers who had given birth and sold the blood to Global Laboratories of Scottsdale. They sent the tissue to Dammai, who used university facilities to derive cord blood stem cells and then sent the cells back to Global. The owner of Global Laboratories was convicted in August of selling unauthorized stem cell products across state lines.
American scientist arrested in stem-cell clinic sting by Ewen Callaway, Nature News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- 2 New Species Of Primitive Fish Discovered
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Fighting Plagiarism In Scientific Papers
- Holistically Tuned - The Brain Sees Words As Pictures, Not A Series Of Letters
- The White House Plan To Combat Antibiotic Resistance
- Climate Change Is Not Causing Extreme Winters
- "I remember the good old days when Duck and Cover was regularly practiced, and I dutifully got under..."
- "Sure, the NRC went down the path to ruin because George W. Bush put Harry Reid's lap dog in charge..."
- "With the Republicans in charge of Congress now, we're certainly having to get used to people with..."
- "Climate change? Are you buying the misuse of language and science? When did the climate not change..."
- "Except there was almost no war in the winter of 1939-40. Poland fell in two weeks before winter..."