Vincent Dammai, a researcher at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) in Charleston, S.C., has been arrested by the FBI for supplying stem cells for use in unapproved stem cell therapies in violation of federal US Food and Drug Administration laws.
Unproven stem cell therapies are unethical but the hype over human embryonic stem cell research (a backlash of the Bush administration's limitation of federal funding to existing lines in 2001) has made people gullible about what stem cell
can do. Many private stem cell clinics rely on scientists in the field who supply cell lines, growth media and other reagents needed to harness stem cells, often unknowingly. "Stem cell tourism" can be reduced by only sharing stem cells and other reagents with those who intend to use them appropriately.
Alberto Ramon, of Del Rio, Texas, a licensed midwife, obtained umbilical cord blood from mothers who had given birth and sold the blood to Global Laboratories of Scottsdale. They sent the tissue to Dammai, who used university facilities to derive cord blood stem cells and then sent the cells back to Global. The owner of Global Laboratories was convicted in August of selling unauthorized stem cell products across state lines.
American scientist arrested in stem-cell clinic sting by Ewen Callaway, Nature News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Neil Tyson On The Politics Of Science Denial
- Corals: Not So Passive, They Are Nature's Tiny Engineers
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- Mutating Ebola Viruses Not As Scary As Evolving Ones
- Created: Renewable Propane Using E.coli
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- Low Carb Vs. Low Fat Diets: Which Is Better?
- "He used the term 'liberal' and thus so I did I, for the sake of consistency. In Science Left Behind..."
- "Clever one, Hank! In fact, I do have to exercise quite a lot of my limited self-control over..."
- "At least fruit flies have survived...."
- "Or put another way, a science blog should recognize the differences between: -Research that conclusively..."
- "Not to be rude - but the modern Left is Left - not liberal. I am Conservative, and would outscore..."
- An hour of moderate exercise a day may decrease heart failure risk
- Breast cancer patients with bilateral mastectomy don't have better survival rates
- Comparison of named diet programs finds little difference in weight-loss outcomes
- Increase seen in use of double mastectomy
- Study finds change in type of procedure most commonly used for bariatric surgery