UCSF biologists Yuriy Kirichok and Polina Lishko have made a name for themselves recording the electrical currents that course through...sperm cells.
They uncovered how progesterone, a hormone involved in menstruation and embryo development , switches on a sperm's internal electricity. The electric current kicks sperm tails into overdrive, powering the final push toward the egg. Sperm that fail to heed progesterone's "get-up-and-go" signal could help explain some couples' struggles to conceive, say Kirichok and Lishko.
Last year, Lishko began using a technique called "whole-cell recording" to perform some of the world's first electrical recordings from human sperm -- a breakthrough that allowed the researchers to map out a key process in fertilization.
UCSF researchers perform first electrical recordings in human sperm By Helen Shen, San Jose Mercury.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Tidal Disruption Event: Black Hole Eats Star, Beams Signal To Earth
- Dear California: Why Is Farming Science A Bad Thing Again?
- 5 Laws About Corpses That May Spook You
- Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Valid For African-Americans, Says Sociologist
- Dengue Virus Exposure May Amplify Zika Infection
- Drug Monitoring Programs Reduce Opioid Deaths: Study
- "This is an interesting set of lecture notes by Cranmer from TASI, https://sites.google.com/a/colorado..."
- "Criminal - Clinton Pathological Liar - Clinton Narcissist Egomaniac - Trump - Clinton Lied when..."
- "The only sensible numbers are zero, one, and infinity. Government works the same way. Zero - true..."
- "Hi John,I'll let your comment live out of respect for the effort you put in writing it, but I disagree..."
- "Spoken like someone who has never lived with a health issue that's seriously impacted their life..."
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup
- Mr. Potato Head Needs a New Warning Label!
- Shark Finning is Banned in the US; Banning Trade in Fins May Be Next
- Move Over Zika, It’s Yellow Fever’s Turn