The upside to being a communist dictatorship is you can just ban cars for the common folk to lessen pollution when important events are in town, like the Olympics, which makes progressive environmentalists coo with delight but isn't that great for people who have to get to work. The downside is no one really care what happens to people when government is the most important thing, and that means corruption - and therefore yet another food scandal due to indifferent oversight.
Cooking oil products made by three companies have been pulled from shelves after finding they contained the same type of cancer-causing toxin recently found in milk sold by leading dairy firm Mengniu. The oils contained excessive levels of aflatoxin, caused by mold, which affect grains and other agricultural products and can increase the risk of cancer, including liver cancer, according to the World Health Organization.
Milk was also at the center of one of China's biggest food safety scandals in 2008, when the industrial chemical melamine was found to have been illegally added to dairy products to give the appearance of higher protein content. At least six babies died and another 300,000 became ill after drinking milk tainted with the chemical. The government vowed to reform the watchdog process after that incident.
China's food safety scandal deepens - Pretoria News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Triple Null: New Genetically Modified Soybean A Big Benefit For Food Allergies
- The Neuroscience Reason We Fall Over When Drunk
- A physicist’s thoughts on life extension
- Chipotle’s GMO Gimmick Turned Them Into The Public Face Of Science Illiteracy
- Warm Oceans Caused The Mega-Drought And Hottest Years In The 1934-36 Dust Bowl
- Does This Cow Really Exist?
- Pancreatic Cancer Risk Linked To Lack Of Sunlight
- "There is more to the sun than vitamin D. Blood level of vitamin D may be just a measure of the..."
- "Put a Starbucks in a yoga studio and you may be onto something...."
- "Hank, your logic is specious all over the place. So we have beer recipes--does that mean we can..."
- "Of course we can isolate it. Yucca mountain passed every single science test, it being stalled..."
- "yep those years were brutal worldwide! 1933: Rare Hurricane Slams Into South Africa 1933: Bitter..."