The upside to being a communist dictatorship is you can just ban cars for the common folk to lessen pollution when important events are in town, like the Olympics, which makes progressive environmentalists coo with delight but isn't that great for people who have to get to work. The downside is no one really care what happens to people when government is the most important thing, and that means corruption - and therefore yet another food scandal due to indifferent oversight.
Cooking oil products made by three companies have been pulled from shelves after finding they contained the same type of cancer-causing toxin recently found in milk sold by leading dairy firm Mengniu. The oils contained excessive levels of aflatoxin, caused by mold, which affect grains and other agricultural products and can increase the risk of cancer, including liver cancer, according to the World Health Organization.
Milk was also at the center of one of China's biggest food safety scandals in 2008, when the industrial chemical melamine was found to have been illegally added to dairy products to give the appearance of higher protein content. At least six babies died and another 300,000 became ill after drinking milk tainted with the chemical. The government vowed to reform the watchdog process after that incident.
China's food safety scandal deepens - Pretoria News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- ASTEROIDS Act: Who Owns Space?
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- Type 1 Diabetes Surges In White Kids
- "thermocamera caught surface temperatire, as discovered out by Giancarlo here. ..."
- "I would like to believe that the E-Cat really produces a lot of excess heat energy, but I ran across..."
- "Because there are only 2?..."
- "I found the AMO/PDO charts to be very broad, and hard to tell (at least with the limited knowledge..."
- "I have dabbled with AMO and PDO, but it really needs to be more of a comparison to SST's, at which..."
- How to sell a toxic pesticide the smart way–call it organic
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous