The upside to being a communist dictatorship is you can just ban cars for the common folk to lessen pollution when important events are in town, like the Olympics, which makes progressive environmentalists coo with delight but isn't that great for people who have to get to work. The downside is no one really care what happens to people when government is the most important thing, and that means corruption - and therefore yet another food scandal due to indifferent oversight.
Cooking oil products made by three companies have been pulled from shelves after finding they contained the same type of cancer-causing toxin recently found in milk sold by leading dairy firm Mengniu. The oils contained excessive levels of aflatoxin, caused by mold, which affect grains and other agricultural products and can increase the risk of cancer, including liver cancer, according to the World Health Organization.
Milk was also at the center of one of China's biggest food safety scandals in 2008, when the industrial chemical melamine was found to have been illegally added to dairy products to give the appearance of higher protein content. At least six babies died and another 300,000 became ill after drinking milk tainted with the chemical. The government vowed to reform the watchdog process after that incident.
China's food safety scandal deepens - Pretoria News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How We Predict Climate Decades Ahead - Yet Can't Forecast Weather Ten Days Ahead - Chaos Patterned With Order
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Time, Wittgenstein And Language Scaffolding
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- When Salt Is An Endocrine Disruptor, The Term Is Officially Meaningless
- "What is truth? Anyone can say that X exists or that Y happened. A seeker after truth requires evidence..."
- "I would add the UK's Daily Express to the list. If there is a way to distort a news story..."
- "Tommaso - thank you for mentioning something new to me, namely the look-elsewhere effect.Someone..."
- "Brilliant! You seem to have covered all of the most important facts.Typo: was this..."
- "Websites like thelabbible and Unilad are all about clickbait. There is no true journalism within..."
- Annoying Studies’ Series: Newborn Weight Gain (Again!)
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland