The upside to being a communist dictatorship is you can just ban cars for the common folk to lessen pollution when important events are in town, like the Olympics, which makes progressive environmentalists coo with delight but isn't that great for people who have to get to work. The downside is no one really care what happens to people when government is the most important thing, and that means corruption - and therefore yet another food scandal due to indifferent oversight.
Cooking oil products made by three companies have been pulled from shelves after finding they contained the same type of cancer-causing toxin recently found in milk sold by leading dairy firm Mengniu. The oils contained excessive levels of aflatoxin, caused by mold, which affect grains and other agricultural products and can increase the risk of cancer, including liver cancer, according to the World Health Organization.
Milk was also at the center of one of China's biggest food safety scandals in 2008, when the industrial chemical melamine was found to have been illegally added to dairy products to give the appearance of higher protein content. At least six babies died and another 300,000 became ill after drinking milk tainted with the chemical. The government vowed to reform the watchdog process after that incident.
China's food safety scandal deepens - Pretoria News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Plot Of The Week: CMS Search For Majorana Neutrinos
- Football Physics: The Science Of Deflategate
- Reviews In Physics - A New Journal
- Think Mosquitoes Bite You More Than Other People? Here's Why You May Be Right
- We're Playing Classical Music All Wrong
- Happy 150th Birthday To Maxwell's Theory Of Electromagnetism
- The Religious Overtones Of Natural Laws: Does The The Universe Create Reason And Morality?
- "Ah yes, I see how frequently the term 'old fashioned' is equated to 'wrong'. To the extent that..."
- "Do I hear a note of lamentation in the followings?Lamenting the fact that countries they thought..."
- "Robert:Perhaps a simple expression of their stance may be summed up as: Nothing is really..."
- "Yes, thanks, that answers my question. And I agree with the error bars. Even if no quantitative..."
- "Is it possible that the leather cover of the football, after being prepared by the teams (assume..."
- Brain study sheds light on how children with autism process social play
- Not just language: Cochlear implant users can hear and feel the beat in music too
- The weather forecast for today is partly wrong with a chance of being right
- Pain from shots shows up in infant brain activity too
- Study identifies geographic long-term clusters of anti-vaccine beliefs in Northern California