The upside to being a communist dictatorship is you can just ban cars for the common folk to lessen pollution when important events are in town, like the Olympics, which makes progressive environmentalists coo with delight but isn't that great for people who have to get to work. The downside is no one really care what happens to people when government is the most important thing, and that means corruption - and therefore yet another food scandal due to indifferent oversight.
Cooking oil products made by three companies have been pulled from shelves after finding they contained the same type of cancer-causing toxin recently found in milk sold by leading dairy firm Mengniu. The oils contained excessive levels of aflatoxin, caused by mold, which affect grains and other agricultural products and can increase the risk of cancer, including liver cancer, according to the World Health Organization.
Milk was also at the center of one of China's biggest food safety scandals in 2008, when the industrial chemical melamine was found to have been illegally added to dairy products to give the appearance of higher protein content. At least six babies died and another 300,000 became ill after drinking milk tainted with the chemical. The government vowed to reform the watchdog process after that incident.
China's food safety scandal deepens - Pretoria News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Muslim Hijab Linked To Less Negative Body Image Among Women
- Bariatric Surgery Is Booming - Is It Needed?
- Does Dr. Oz Think I'm An Idiot?
- Double Mastectomy Doesn't Bring Better Breast Cancer Survival Rates Over Lumpectomy
- Mutating Ebola Viruses Not As Scary As Evolving Ones
- Created: Renewable Propane Using E.coli
- Misogyny Wins With Hacking Of Intimate Celebrity Pictures – But You Can Choose Not To Look
- "To say that a practice must have some objective positives if a billion plus people do it would..."
- "Not sure what the point of this study was. A parallel to this study would be one that states that..."
- "The supplements industry is mostly harmless. We can't say the same about our imperfect medical..."
- "Actually there is harm from the supplement industry. It comes from people not seeking medical help..."
- "Alex-i could argue that Oz, Povich, Springer and the idiots on The View all belong in the same..."
- Protein in plasma may one day change transfusions
- Maternal low protein diet promotes diabetic phenotypes in offspring
- Study indicates that the hippocampus mediates cognitive decline in Huntington's disease
- Discharged patients return to the ER because 'better safe than sorry'
- NASA satellites calling here you come again, Tropical Storm Dolly