It may not be in favor today but urine was used in medicine for millenia.
In Rome, Richard Sugg at the Guardian tells us, Pliny the Elder recommended fresh urine for the treatment of "sores, burns, affections of the anus, chaps and scorpion stings", while stale urine mixed with ash could be rubbed on your baby for nappy rash. In early-modern Europe numerous medical luminaries went further. Pioneering French surgeon Ambroise Paré noted that itching eye-lids could be washed in the patient's urine – provided that it had been kept "all night in a barber's basin" first.
The father of chemistry, Robert Boyle, advised certain patients to drink every morning "a moderate draught of their own urine", preferably while "tis yet warm".
Read the many and unusual uses of urine
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Blue Buffalo Admits Its Pet Food Contains The Poultry Byproduct It Ridicules In Competitors
- WHO Reports: Obesity Crisis In Europe
- Nuclear Power Isn't Really Zero-emission, But Neither Is Anything Else
- Non-Joulian Magnetostriction May Energize The World
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- "Great article and comments! I tend to sound so rough in my comments, I realize it when I read them..."
- "1) Yes! Too easy, also the next three sound plausible. 2) cosmic rays Cosmic Ray-assisted collisions..."
- "I should have read more carefully! 3) per nucleon! Pb has about 200 nucleons, so sqrt(s) goes beyond..."
- "ah yes absolutely right, very clever view on the subject indeed, its for people like you the Nation..."
- "1) N. How could Tommaso know if I read my local paper. 2) N. Chance is minuscule. Never been detected..."
- Mental 'map' and 'compass' are two separate systems
- Head injuries could result in neurodegenerative disease in rugby union players
- Time is muscle in acute heart failure
- American Indian students disproportionately disciplined compared to white students
- What's the best, most effective way to take notes?