It may not be in favor today but urine was used in medicine for millenia.
In Rome, Richard Sugg at the Guardian tells us, Pliny the Elder recommended fresh urine for the treatment of "sores, burns, affections of the anus, chaps and scorpion stings", while stale urine mixed with ash could be rubbed on your baby for nappy rash. In early-modern Europe numerous medical luminaries went further. Pioneering French surgeon Ambroise Paré noted that itching eye-lids could be washed in the patient's urine – provided that it had been kept "all night in a barber's basin" first.
The father of chemistry, Robert Boyle, advised certain patients to drink every morning "a moderate draught of their own urine", preferably while "tis yet warm".
Read the many and unusual uses of urine
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- A New Target For Machado Joseph Disease Treatment
- How The Earth's Pacific Plates Collapsed
- Secrets Of Dark Proteome
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Microevolutionary Evidence: The Eyes Have It
- "Oh okay, not to worry. No, it's not real, there's nothing of that type at all. When they talk..."
- "Okay did you see my video I just posted showing a lens flare? When you point a digital camera at..."
- "I don't no how u link thing mr walker I'm not very good when it comes to computers its just videos..."
- "Toni, why not link a few of these images and videos that you've seen? It's a lot easier to dispute..."
- "yes if u could tell me were they have got it wrong mr walker it may help and just a question and..."
- Type-2 Diabetes Drug Ineffective for Obese, Type-1 Teens
- Insulin Pill Could Revolutionize Diabetes Treatment
- For Hypertension Patients, Nearly Half Lack Proper Care
- Antibiotic Resistance: Beginning of the End?
- Give to ACSH on Giving Tuesday!
- Global Energy Balance Network and Coke: What Emails Reveal
- Imaging yields evidence of heart disease in archeological find
- Researchers find link between early-stage brain and heart disease
- Study suggests breast density alone not a risk factor for cancer
- CT and 3-D printing aid surgical separation of conjoined twins
- Sleep environment 1 of several factors behind reduction in sudden infant death syndrome