While lauded by activists as leadership, the Air Resources Board in California and its mandate of a controversial cap-and-trade scheme was always scientifically and economically suspect (see California grossly overstates emissions to get mandates passed) and it has turned out to be ethically questionable also.
San Francisco superior court judge Ernest H. Goldsmith has placed the program on hold, stating that the Air Resources Board did not consider public comments on the measures before adopting them. Voters turned down the option to delay the implementation of the plan last November, part of a 2006 law which requires the state to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020.
But even environmental groups knew cap-and-trade was flawed and this latest lawsuit was filed by six of them, because they contended it would allow refineries and power plants in poor neighborhoods to avoid cutting emissions of both greenhouse gases and traditional air pollutants.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Swarm Bots Kill Mass Shooter
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition 4 Millon Signatures, Nearly 12% Of Total Votes Cast
- Nanotech: The Most Dangerous Science Least Carefully Done
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- A Billion Years Ago, What Did Earth's Ancient Magnetic Field Look Like?
- How A Woman With Amnesia Defies Conventional Wisdom About Memory
- Understanding Rogue Ocean Waves May Be Simple After All
- "Hi Anlain, it explains on the page itself. It's a post vote survey - not a poll, so more accurate..."
- "If british elections and referenda are supposed to be secret ballots,how can statistics like those..."
- "If you really wanted to know the truth you could find many researched and peer reviewed articles..."
- "So how many people with HIV, HCV, Parkinson's, MS, Hansen's disease, etc etc etc are being cured..."
- "Hi Robert; Hope you are doing well. Just wanted you to know that I've put up a new video regarding..."
- Swayed By Lunch Money: A Grotesque Insult to Doctors
- Sensing Too Much Zika Exposure, Golfers Continue Olympic Exodus
- Cannabis Beverages: A New Way to Get High
- Got Zika? Thank an Environmentalist
- Magical Moron Moments: Burn Your Feet with Tony Robbins
- IARC is controversial – because they put ideology over science