While lauded by activists as leadership, the Air Resources Board in California and its mandate of a controversial cap-and-trade scheme was always scientifically and economically suspect (see California grossly overstates emissions to get mandates passed) and it has turned out to be ethically questionable also.
San Francisco superior court judge Ernest H. Goldsmith has placed the program on hold, stating that the Air Resources Board did not consider public comments on the measures before adopting them. Voters turned down the option to delay the implementation of the plan last November, part of a 2006 law which requires the state to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020.
But even environmental groups knew cap-and-trade was flawed and this latest lawsuit was filed by six of them, because they contended it would allow refineries and power plants in poor neighborhoods to avoid cutting emissions of both greenhouse gases and traditional air pollutants.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A 3 TeV Dielectron Event By CMS !
- When It Comes To Tobacco Beliefs, What You Don't Know Can Kill You Sooner
- Neuron Responsible For Alcoholism Found
- Science: Public/Private Partnership Under Attack
- Bel's Temple in Palmyra Is No More
- Copters, Drones - Location Data Is Changing The World
- Is Failure To Reproduce Psychology Papers A Sign They Are Invalid?
- "I’ve just read this present article, a day or two after reading Bel's Temple In Palmyra Is No..."
- "Wow -- this is the first and last time I'll be reading your diatribes, Hank. Citing GMO industry..."
- "Sundance,I also thought about that quote. Some scientists have been speaking out for a long..."
- "I have been much more affected by what is happening to people, to the point where I haven’t bothered..."
- "Curious, wonder if some of the dynamo in the earths core is more effective because at those pressures..."
- DC’s Needle Exchange: Infections Down, Savings Up
- Are You An Old Soul? You May Just Have An Old Heart
- Prescribing Caution with Precautionary Principle
- FDA’s Welcome Action: Caffeine Is a Drug
- Over Bt Spraying, Anti-GMO Folks Undone by Own Argument
- E-Cigarettes Are Safer Than Smoking – But Aldehydes Need To Go