Did the Chinese come to East Africa before the Europeans?
China says yes and, to prove it, Chinese and Kenyan archeologists are now searching the African coast for the fabled wreck of a Ming dynasty junk, an ancient Chinese sailing vessel, from the fleet of legendary 15th-century explorer Zheng He.
Researchers have identified several shipwrecks of interest off the Kenyan coast near the World Heritage site of Lamu but after years of excitable hype by China’s state media, the underwater archaeologists involved in the search are warning that the newly discovered wrecks could be from any era or country — and even if a sunken Chinese ship is found, it may no longer be intact or even identifiable.
Sea hunt for ancient Chinese ship off African coast - Erin Conway-Smith, GlobalPost.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- Vegan Diets Works Better For Weight Loss Than Vegetarian Or Atkins
- High-Fat Diet And Natural Hormone May Alleviate Mitochondrial Disease
- Collinsium Ciliosum: New Species Of ‘Super-Armored’ Worm Discovered
- Antibiotic Incentives: Marketing Vs. Education
- Jupiter And Venus Conjunction
- "I read somewhere that a study showed that a telescope at Venus' orbit would not find any asteroids..."
- "May I suggest you read this blog Sugar and Fat Absorption Increased In Obesity http://medicalresearch..."
- "Well all calories are equal until they enter the body. Sugar and Fat Absorption Increased In Obesity..."
- "You say: A vegan diet remains controversial because it is in defiance of our evolutionary mandate..."
- "I am SUCH an idiot. I remember when those hideous things came out. 1970s. Duh. I actually..."
- Phase IIb Pivotal Clinical Study of P2B001 for the Treatment of Early Stage Parkinson's Disease
- Women's faces get redder at ovulation, but human eyes can't pick up on it
- Friction reduction breakthrough is not snake oil
- Is abortion in America about to get restricted?
- South Africans used milk-based paint 49,000 years ago