Did the Chinese come to East Africa before the Europeans?
China says yes and, to prove it, Chinese and Kenyan archeologists are now searching the African coast for the fabled wreck of a Ming dynasty junk, an ancient Chinese sailing vessel, from the fleet of legendary 15th-century explorer Zheng He.
Researchers have identified several shipwrecks of interest off the Kenyan coast near the World Heritage site of Lamu but after years of excitable hype by China’s state media, the underwater archaeologists involved in the search are warning that the newly discovered wrecks could be from any era or country — and even if a sunken Chinese ship is found, it may no longer be intact or even identifiable.
Sea hunt for ancient Chinese ship off African coast - Erin Conway-Smith, GlobalPost.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- (Well)-Paid PhD Position In Physics Offered In Padova, Italy
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- "Thanks, glad you liked it and thanks for the links. I've just discovered the new emdrive reddit..."
- "Right, that would get noticed. But a vague claim about supplements won't be investigated. If homeopaths..."
- "Yes. EM radiation has momentum. I have a Crooke's Radiometer on my kitchen shelf that proves it..."
- "also known as knit knacking... http://www.personal.reading.ac.uk/~spsolley/ ..."
- "Hello John Raymond, You are right -- I agree it's time to be terse, having provided so much referenced..."
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control
- Paralyzed men move legs thanks to non-invasive spinal cord stimulation
- California 'rain debt' equal to average full year of precipitation
- Cancer patients lose faith in healthcare system if referred late by GP