Did the Chinese come to East Africa before the Europeans?
China says yes and, to prove it, Chinese and Kenyan archeologists are now searching the African coast for the fabled wreck of a Ming dynasty junk, an ancient Chinese sailing vessel, from the fleet of legendary 15th-century explorer Zheng He.
Researchers have identified several shipwrecks of interest off the Kenyan coast near the World Heritage site of Lamu but after years of excitable hype by China’s state media, the underwater archaeologists involved in the search are warning that the newly discovered wrecks could be from any era or country — and even if a sunken Chinese ship is found, it may no longer be intact or even identifiable.
Sea hunt for ancient Chinese ship off African coast - Erin Conway-Smith, GlobalPost.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Double Mastectomy: 'Angelina Effect' Has Been Long-lasting
- Hurricane Polo
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Mysterious 1808 Eruption - The Real Cause Of The Coldest Decade Of The Last 500 Years
- The Wealth Under Afghanistan
- 'Sleep Node' In The Brain Discovered
- How To Spot A Bad Decision: Pupil Size
- "You can find the slides on the indico page of the event: https://indico.cern.ch/event/328735/overview..."
- "Now, now, boys. I attempted to be politically neutral in this column. Even if I didn't totally..."
- "Aether has mass. Aether physically occupies three dimensional space. Aether is physically displaced..."
- "Really, since dark matter is not supposed to interact with normal matter, except gravitationally..."
- "Thank you for backing me up on the programming part. Bad programmers have always played and debugged..."
- Monster galaxies gain weight by eating smaller neighbors
- The 'Angelina Effect' was not only immediate, but also long-lasting
- Experts issue plea for better research and education for advanced breast cancer
- Gun deaths twice as high among African-Americans as white citizens in US
- Cooling of dialysis fluids protects against brain damage