A cave in the Annamite Mountains of Viet Nam contains a river and jungle and is large enough, in spots, to hold a skyscraper.
Hang Son Doong Cave is part of a network of about 150 caves in central Vietnam near the Laotian border. The husband and wife team of Howard and Deb Limbert first discovered it in 2009 but only recently returned to scale a huge calcite wall and try to find the cavern's end.
See the details at National Geographic along with an interactive graphic of the river cave and its path.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- Type 1 Diabetes Surges In White Kids
- It Takes More Than Singing To Strike A Chord In Music Education
- "I found the AMO/PDO charts to be very broad, and hard to tell (at least with the limited knowledge..."
- "I have dabbled with AMO and PDO, but it really needs to be more of a comparison to SST's, at which..."
- "The UN with it's small direct Ebola budget is hiring Ebola survivors to take care of sick kids..."
- "Ebola patients are sometimes thought of as Zombies returning from the dead. If one is low in fluids..."
- "In a universe of infinite realities, maybe there is one where homeopathy works. Just not in this..."
- How to sell a toxic pesticide the smart way–Call it organic
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous
- NASA sees Tropical Storm Ana still vigorous
- Startups should seek quality -- not quantity -- in partnerships, study finds
- Satellite catches lingering remnants of Tropical Depression 9
- Li-ion batteries contain toxic halogens, but environmentally friendly alternatives exist
- Volunteer guidelines for clinicians in the ebola epidemic