Anti-science hippies are getting bolder; not only will they announce what they plan to do, they will issue the time and date to meet to carry out their next attack. And ask for help from the public.
Take The Flour Back is planning a "mass action against genetically modified wheat" at Rothamsted Research in Harpenden, Hertfordshire, on May 27th. This attack is over genetically modified food - and England in the birthplace of genetically modified anti-science hysteria so no surprise, but their boldness is. Imagine if BP announced plans to attack a climate research group. It just wouldn't happen.
They get away with it by clever use of framing - and politically aligned journalists and bloggers help. They are anti-corporation, they claim, not anti-science. They are cautious.
What are these evil scientists working on? Modifying wheat so it won't need aphid pesticides and it will be better for the environment and clean water. Oh, the humanity! Stop the Frankenfood!
The loonies are not seeing reason, though. "We're asking the scientists to do the responsible thing and stop this trial," said a member of the group, Helen. "If they don't, we're going to have to do the responsible thing ourselves. We really don't want to be pushed into this action. We're not anti-science. It's just about doing things responsibly."
Ummm, a subjective personal definition which provokes you to violence if anyone disagrees with you is actually the definition of being anti-science, Helen.
The researchers wrote an open letter to the ecoterrorists, asking them not to destroy years of work and stating ethics are on their side, because they want to work with nature rather than against it, like pesticides do. "What you are planning to do is reminiscent of clearing books from a library because you wish to stop other people finding out what they contain."
If reason were going to work, they wouldn't be militant kooks threatening you in the first place, scientists.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Random Thoughts Of A Physicist In Honeymoon
- Climate Change Made The Sahara Green - Then Took It Away Again
- It's Been Another Record Year For Agriculture - When Do Climate Change Forecasts Come True?
- Sitting Linked To Premature Aging - And Hopefully Skepticism
- Anomaly! Book Of The Week At Times Higher Education
- How Viruses Leave Messages For Descendants On How To 'Infect'
- Scientists For Trump In Spite Of Vaccine Autism And Climate Comments
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- Nexium: The Dark Side Of Pharma
- Media Think World of Science and Health Will End on Inauguration Day 2017
- Timeline of New Year's Resolutions
- MRI May Help 27% Of Suspected Prostate Cancer Patients Avoid Biopsies
- McKesson Fined $150 Million as they contribute to opioid crisis - Too Big to Punish
- Are Science Journals Politically Biased? Editor-in-Chief of ACS Journal Refuses to Discuss Editorial Policy