Anti-science hippies are getting bolder; not only will they announce what they plan to do, they will issue the time and date to meet to carry out their next attack. And ask for help from the public.
Take The Flour Back is planning a "mass action against genetically modified wheat" at Rothamsted Research in Harpenden, Hertfordshire, on May 27th. This attack is over genetically modified food - and England in the birthplace of genetically modified anti-science hysteria so no surprise, but their boldness is. Imagine if BP announced plans to attack a climate research group. It just wouldn't happen.
They get away with it by clever use of framing - and politically aligned journalists and bloggers help. They are anti-corporation, they claim, not anti-science. They are cautious.
What are these evil scientists working on? Modifying wheat so it won't need aphid pesticides and it will be better for the environment and clean water. Oh, the humanity! Stop the Frankenfood!
The loonies are not seeing reason, though. "We're asking the scientists to do the responsible thing and stop this trial," said a member of the group, Helen. "If they don't, we're going to have to do the responsible thing ourselves. We really don't want to be pushed into this action. We're not anti-science. It's just about doing things responsibly."
Ummm, a subjective personal definition which provokes you to violence if anyone disagrees with you is actually the definition of being anti-science, Helen.
The researchers wrote an open letter to the ecoterrorists, asking them not to destroy years of work and stating ethics are on their side, because they want to work with nature rather than against it, like pesticides do. "What you are planning to do is reminiscent of clearing books from a library because you wish to stop other people finding out what they contain."
If reason were going to work, they wouldn't be militant kooks threatening you in the first place, scientists.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- It Takes More Than Singing To Strike A Chord In Music Education
- Type 1 Diabetes Surges In White Kids
- "In a universe of infinite realities, maybe there is one where homeopathy works. Just not in this..."
- "y = yesterday, it is listed in some of the text, but I can try to make it clearer.They are an anomaly..."
- "On the luminosity leveling : my limited understanding is that at hl-lhc, the beam lifetime is completely..."
- "The “non-negotiable mathematical reasons” for raising the height of flood defences are in a..."
- "For background, look at Paul Bloom’s 2004 book Descartes’ Baby. This has interesting material..."
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterrey, California–Hotbed of anti-GMO activism–Home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous
- Rich and famous embrace Vandana Shiva, wealthy self-described savior of the poor
- US Ebola hysteria and money pit highlight lack of resources to confront diseases that kill far more people
- Addiction can be measured by epigenetics