Anti-science hippies are getting bolder; not only will they announce what they plan to do, they will issue the time and date to meet to carry out their next attack. And ask for help from the public.
Take The Flour Back is planning a "mass action against genetically modified wheat" at Rothamsted Research in Harpenden, Hertfordshire, on May 27th. This attack is over genetically modified food - and England in the birthplace of genetically modified anti-science hysteria so no surprise, but their boldness is. Imagine if BP announced plans to attack a climate research group. It just wouldn't happen.
They get away with it by clever use of framing - and politically aligned journalists and bloggers help. They are anti-corporation, they claim, not anti-science. They are cautious.
What are these evil scientists working on? Modifying wheat so it won't need aphid pesticides and it will be better for the environment and clean water. Oh, the humanity! Stop the Frankenfood!
The loonies are not seeing reason, though. "We're asking the scientists to do the responsible thing and stop this trial," said a member of the group, Helen. "If they don't, we're going to have to do the responsible thing ourselves. We really don't want to be pushed into this action. We're not anti-science. It's just about doing things responsibly."
Ummm, a subjective personal definition which provokes you to violence if anyone disagrees with you is actually the definition of being anti-science, Helen.
The researchers wrote an open letter to the ecoterrorists, asking them not to destroy years of work and stating ethics are on their side, because they want to work with nature rather than against it, like pesticides do. "What you are planning to do is reminiscent of clearing books from a library because you wish to stop other people finding out what they contain."
If reason were going to work, they wouldn't be militant kooks threatening you in the first place, scientists.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- AMVA4NewPhysics Logo
- New GHOST Technology Leaps Out Of The Screen
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- Patients With Recurrent Depression Have Smaller Hippocampi
- Radiation Detectors Click By Design
- "Thank you for your words of encouragement. And, I agree that when it comes to weight control, the..."
- "Hi Bill, thanks for your message - I am considering your input. Maybe some more concept and less..."
- "Thanks for the tips - well indeed the internet is a complex place. But I did want some pink and..."
- "Apologizing for a hiatus due to vacations, I am posting today.... Yes Tommaso, how dare you allow..."
- "Tommaso, I understand the message, and I 100% agree that more women in science is always better..."
- Opera is deadly - but The Tarantino influence in modern opera is killing it
- Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows encouraging trial results
- Prion trials and tribulations: Finding the right tools and experimental models
- Old World monkey had tiny, complex brain
- Rumors of southern pine deaths have been exaggerated
Books By Writers Here