We can only confuse science and environmentalism when science happens to match their cultural agenda - ethanol, for example, was lousy science and the anti-science positions embraced by environmentalists to combat pollution were firmly in the anti-science camp; biology and the energy sector have terrific solutions available right now but if 'stop CO2' is instead a cult-like mantra, they can't be part of the policy discourse.
Eco-activist and journalist Mark Lynas, famous for shoving a pie in the face of sane skeptic Bjorn Lomborg, has actually done some research and used an open mind and changed some of his positions - revolutionary! Nuclear power? Certainly part of the solution, he writes in his new book, The God Species: How the Planet Can Survive the Age of Humans.As is genetic modification, and more changes of heart and mind.
Lynas is still concerned about climate change, obviously. Most people are. He is just no longer a nut. That's a win for science, for the future of policy and responsible stewardship of mother Earth.
An Environmentalist Joins the Reality-Based Community - Ronald Bailey, Reason
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Inheritable Bacterium Controls Aedes Mosquitoes' Ability To Transmit Zika
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Humans Have Faster Metabolism Than Closely Related Primates, Enabling Larger Brains
- Use Of Personal Care Products During Pregnancy Linked To Adverse Effects In Newborns
- Unified Mathematical Field Theory Talk
- Star With Different Internal Driving Force Than The Sun
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- "Hello MathGeek:Thank you for stating your starting position so clearly:This is NOT my goal. I also..."
- "I agree with Robert Walker he looks to me a experienced guy we should be aware of these kinda stuffs..."
- "Just adding another link. Spinning Brains..."
- "Okay, yes I hadn't thought about clear walled aquariums. That's a good example :). Maybe its easier..."
- " I tried to form a number system with Z6 and I got the same thing as with Z4 ! I too am unclear..."
- Detailed digital human models could hold key to future clinical research
- Extreme ICU: 5 percent of patients account for 33 percent of intensive care and need special focus
- Walking and cycling are good for health even in cities with higher levels of air pollution
- Heavy body shape across lifespan associated with highest mortality
- The NHS is far safer inside the European Union, argues public health expert