We can only confuse science and environmentalism when science happens to match their cultural agenda - ethanol, for example, was lousy science and the anti-science positions embraced by environmentalists to combat pollution were firmly in the anti-science camp; biology and the energy sector have terrific solutions available right now but if 'stop CO2' is instead a cult-like mantra, they can't be part of the policy discourse.
Eco-activist and journalist Mark Lynas, famous for shoving a pie in the face of sane skeptic Bjorn Lomborg, has actually done some research and used an open mind and changed some of his positions - revolutionary! Nuclear power? Certainly part of the solution, he writes in his new book, The God Species: How the Planet Can Survive the Age of Humans.As is genetic modification, and more changes of heart and mind.
Lynas is still concerned about climate change, obviously. Most people are. He is just no longer a nut. That's a win for science, for the future of policy and responsible stewardship of mother Earth.
An Environmentalist Joins the Reality-Based Community - Ronald Bailey, Reason
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 4
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Avoid Showing The Jacksonville Jaguars And Other Ways To Optimize Monday Night Football
- The Daily Physics Problem - 3
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- "Terry, yes the so called planet 9 is a possible planet. It's not confirmed yet and there have been..."
- "What about the new planet nine then people say that's nibiru also nibiru is a supposed planet that..."
- "Hi Terry, first thanks for signing your comment, it makes a big difference. Yes I can answer that..."
- "It just seems a bit weird how nobody from nasa are saying its not real no astronomers are saying..."
- "Thanks for the encouragement. It gets a bit tough at times. I can certainly understand why few..."
- Our Nervous System: When It Comes To Behavior, Is It A Democracy Or Dictatorship?
- Netflix Linked To Cancer
- The Ancient Chinese Secret For Removing Age Spots May Be Mercury
- A Closer Look At Dementia — Beyond the Memory Loss
- Solve Global Warming By Putting A Carbon Tax On…Meat?
- Significant Pain Significantly Increases Risk of Opioid Addiction
- Chemical etching method helps transistors stand tall
- Measure of age in soil nitrogen could help precision agriculture
- Effectiveness of the WHO cancer pain relief guidelines published by Dove Medical Press
- Hospital data helps predict risk of pneumonia after heart surgery
- New University of Montana study quantifies morel mushroom abundance after wildfire