We can only confuse science and environmentalism when science happens to match their cultural agenda - ethanol, for example, was lousy science and the anti-science positions embraced by environmentalists to combat pollution were firmly in the anti-science camp; biology and the energy sector have terrific solutions available right now but if 'stop CO2' is instead a cult-like mantra, they can't be part of the policy discourse.
Eco-activist and journalist Mark Lynas, famous for shoving a pie in the face of sane skeptic Bjorn Lomborg, has actually done some research and used an open mind and changed some of his positions - revolutionary! Nuclear power? Certainly part of the solution, he writes in his new book, The God Species: How the Planet Can Survive the Age of Humans.As is genetic modification, and more changes of heart and mind.
Lynas is still concerned about climate change, obviously. Most people are. He is just no longer a nut. That's a win for science, for the future of policy and responsible stewardship of mother Earth.
An Environmentalist Joins the Reality-Based Community - Ronald Bailey, Reason
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- As Dawn Approaches, The First Color Images Of Ceres
- NailO: Your Thumb As A Miniature Wireless Track Pad
- Eyes Are On The James Webb Space Telescope As Hubble's 25th Anniversary Approaches
- Can Moons Have Moonlets? Or Rings?
- Dr. Henry Miller To Columbia: Give Oz The Boot
- Should Caffeine Be A Schedule 1 Drug?
- Thorium Can Serve As A Nuclear Fuel For Commercial Electricity Generation
- "I was wrong in thinking that environmentalism would lose because (a) it is too silly and (b) the..."
- "I have a serious problem with your logic: Hospital death rates are indeed a serious problem, but..."
- "Hawaii is infested with professional Hawaiians who have learned how to make a good living over..."
- "Michael, I have three issues with your comment. First, the medical community is very aware of the..."
- "I had open heart surgery by Dr. Oz, his partner and a robot a couple of years ago. The type of..."
- Telling the time of day by color
- Muscle regeneration after traumatic injury without need for donor tissue
- Yanomami : Remote Amazonian tribe is world's most microbially diverse
- Phthalate DEHP undermines female fertility in mice
- Major vascular anomalies in the brains of people with Huntington's disease