EFSA, the food safety agency for the European Union, definitively rejected the bombshell French report headed by Gilles-Eric Séralini linking genetically modified corn to cancer, saying it failed to meet "acceptable scientific standards."
"Serious defects in the design and methodology of a paper by Seralini et al. mean it does not meet acceptable scientific standards," the European Food Safety Authority said in its statement.
The EU agency said its final assessment took into consideration evaluations carried out in Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands. "EFSA noted the emergence of a broad European consensus," it said, stating that the six countries too found Seralini's conclusions "were not supported by the data presented in the study."
It listed weaknesses of the French study as "unclear study objectives, the low number of rates used in each treatment group, a lack of detail on the feed and treatment formulation, key information missing on the statistical methods employed."
Séralini and co-authors have refused to show their data, alleging the entire science world and every government outside France is either biased against him or working for Monsanto.
EU rejects French report linking GM maize to cancer - AFP
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- DDoS War: How Zombie Fridges Bit The Internet In The a$$ Today.
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- Hearing Voices Again? It's More Common Than You Think
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- "NASA rarely comment on stories like this. It's not their mission to debunk doomsday hoaxes. They..."
- "Ok fair point and this is 2 separate questions 1 what do nasa at this moment in time think of nibiru..."
- "Thanks :)..."
- "Okay seems you need a short summary, I gave it just a few comments earlier but here it is again..."
- "The Soviet Luna film reminds me of the Giles cartoon, published on 14 October 1958, the day after..."
- To Avoid Adult Dysfunction Start 'IN UTERO'
- ACSH Medical Director Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians, We're In The Economist, And More
- The Math of Hunting and Fishing: When to Work Together
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier