EFSA, the food safety agency for the European Union, definitively rejected the bombshell French report headed by Gilles-Eric Séralini linking genetically modified corn to cancer, saying it failed to meet "acceptable scientific standards."
"Serious defects in the design and methodology of a paper by Seralini et al. mean it does not meet acceptable scientific standards," the European Food Safety Authority said in its statement.
The EU agency said its final assessment took into consideration evaluations carried out in Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands. "EFSA noted the emergence of a broad European consensus," it said, stating that the six countries too found Seralini's conclusions "were not supported by the data presented in the study."
It listed weaknesses of the French study as "unclear study objectives, the low number of rates used in each treatment group, a lack of detail on the feed and treatment formulation, key information missing on the statistical methods employed."
Séralini and co-authors have refused to show their data, alleging the entire science world and every government outside France is either biased against him or working for Monsanto.
EU rejects French report linking GM maize to cancer - AFP
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Supertranslations And Eternal Ghosts: Black Holes No Closer To Being Understood
- Bel's Temple in Palmyra Is No More
- If Happy Meal Law Passes, NYC Kids Will Frown
- Blade Runner: The Science In The Fiction
- Highlights From ICNFP 2015
- Could A Star Orbit A Planet? - Just For Fun
- Is Smokeless Tobacco More Harmful Than Believed?
- "We are living 21 century, everybody are thinking invention new technology. In this situation this..."
- "I wrote an article about this just today - why I think AI should not have emotions - and only very..."
- "Had they annihilated the Colosseum in Rome (as opposed to the local cinema) would you have taken..."
- "There are no Black Holes because the very space-time concept has been proved to be baseless in..."
- "When you account for the following factors, such discrepancies disappear:-Men are more aggressive..."
- Not All Expensive Drugs Are Equal
- Conundrum Confronts DCIS Breast Cancer Patients
- Germany Rightly Skewered for GMO Nonsense; Kudos for WSJ
- Expect Only Frowns if Silly Happy Meal Law Passes
- “Shock Therapy” – Not a Cuckoo’s Nest, a Valid Depression Rx
- Innate: Simplot genetically engineered potato gets USDA nod for deregulation
- Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider confirms tiny drops of early universe 'perfect' fluid
- Magnetic fields provide a new way to communicate wirelessly
- With tobacco, what you don't know can kill you sooner
- Isthminia panamensis: New species of ancient river dolphin discovered
- Smoking prevalence stays the same but people who want to quit are up