EFSA, the food safety agency for the European Union, definitively rejected the bombshell French report headed by Gilles-Eric Séralini linking genetically modified corn to cancer, saying it failed to meet "acceptable scientific standards."
"Serious defects in the design and methodology of a paper by Seralini et al. mean it does not meet acceptable scientific standards," the European Food Safety Authority said in its statement.
The EU agency said its final assessment took into consideration evaluations carried out in Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands. "EFSA noted the emergence of a broad European consensus," it said, stating that the six countries too found Seralini's conclusions "were not supported by the data presented in the study."
It listed weaknesses of the French study as "unclear study objectives, the low number of rates used in each treatment group, a lack of detail on the feed and treatment formulation, key information missing on the statistical methods employed."
Séralini and co-authors have refused to show their data, alleging the entire science world and every government outside France is either biased against him or working for Monsanto.
EU rejects French report linking GM maize to cancer - AFP
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Acceptance Of Evolution Is Far Higher Than Acceptance Of Other Biology
- Planck on BICEP2 "It turns out that the part of the dust had been significantly underestimated."
- Hardwired For Miscommunication? Why Women Think Sex When Men Just Want To Be Friends
- The ATLAS Top Production Asymmetry And One Thing I Do Not Like Of It
- Extended Telomeres Slow Cell Aging
- "I find that very interesting. On the one hand, I certainly understand what you mean in not wanting..."
- "Hi KJ,you never do that, as changing your inputs after looking at your answer is anathema - it..."
- "You went from 0 to Crackpot in two short comments. ..."
- "Save your lectures on the scientific method for the academic 'cuspy halo problem' deniers when..."
- "Right, and if 90 percent of science media focused on the anti-science beliefs of Democrats I would..."