EFSA, the food safety agency for the European Union, definitively rejected the bombshell French report headed by Gilles-Eric Séralini linking genetically modified corn to cancer, saying it failed to meet "acceptable scientific standards."
"Serious defects in the design and methodology of a paper by Seralini et al. mean it does not meet acceptable scientific standards," the European Food Safety Authority said in its statement.
The EU agency said its final assessment took into consideration evaluations carried out in Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy and the Netherlands. "EFSA noted the emergence of a broad European consensus," it said, stating that the six countries too found Seralini's conclusions "were not supported by the data presented in the study."
It listed weaknesses of the French study as "unclear study objectives, the low number of rates used in each treatment group, a lack of detail on the feed and treatment formulation, key information missing on the statistical methods employed."
Séralini and co-authors have refused to show their data, alleging the entire science world and every government outside France is either biased against him or working for Monsanto.
EU rejects French report linking GM maize to cancer - AFP
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- Sepsis Is Largely Unknown But It Puts One Million People In The Hospital Each Year
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- Medial Temporal Lobe And How New Memories Are Formed
- Vegan Diets Works Better For Weight Loss Than Vegetarian Or Atkins
- "I noticed that I (and many others) have trouble digestion the complex sugars in many vegetables..."
- "Trying to figure out how you got that impression. And failing miserably...."
- "I am looking forward to see if I was right about this tonight… Please reread what you just wrote..."
- "sorry thought this article was a slur against gay/lesbian. Objection cheerfully withdrawn...."
- "Metabolic Theory of Septic Shock http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4038812/ Core tip..."