When Congress passed the newest farm bill extension at the beginning of this month, they cut $22 million being paid under the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program, along with several other subsidies to organic farmers.
That means you and I and everyone else no longer have to pay so organic farmers can put that sticker on organic food. After all, if traditional food was going to have to suck it up and put GMO warning labels on food, and the $29 billion organic industry thought that was a great idea, it doesn't seem right taxpayers should have to bankroll stickers for anyone else.
The subsidies for organic certification could be reinstated in the coming months. But at least for now, I never thought I'd get to say this, but way to go, Congress.
Farm Bill Cuts $22 Million From Organic Food Funding: Taxpayers Don't Have to Pay For Overpriced Food Labels by Cameron English, PolicyMic.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Naomi Oreskes And Denialism About The Scientific Consensus On GMOs And Nuclear Energy
- A New Alternative To Sodium: Fish Sauce
- Drug Prevents Key Age-related Brain Change In Rats
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- Smoking Bans Reduce Risk Of Cardiovascular Disease In Non-Smokers
- "Liber (Dionysius in Greece) because he is one of the few major Roman gods that does not already..."
- "The URL of the full text article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/1750-3841.13171/fu..."
- "So there is no why like Bob Fletcher or as some people say you can already see it on Russian news..."
- "Hi Joe, yes the thing is - all that is fine, it's logical from your point of view. And whatever..."
- " Like I asked David Brin: Who are the ones who are actually insane? Certainly it is NOT the skeptics..."
- Florida Declares Zika Virus State of Emergency
- Indonesia’s Many Human Physical Deformities: A Closer Look
- Spinal ‘Column’: Love for Hunchback Dog, Breakthrough for 8-Yr-Old Girl
- BMI is Bologna
- Energy Drinks: The Dose Makes the Poison
- California’s Prop 65: Bad For Public Acceptance Of Science, About To Get Worse
- Agricultural policies in Africa could be harming the poorest
- Cambridge researcher develops smartphone app to map Swiss-German dialects
- Studies link healthy workforces to positive stock market performance
- Pioneering discovery leads to potential preventive treatment for sudden cardiac death
- Online shopping might not be as green as we thought