When Congress passed the newest farm bill extension at the beginning of this month, they cut $22 million being paid under the National Organic Certification Cost-Share Program, along with several other subsidies to organic farmers.
That means you and I and everyone else no longer have to pay so organic farmers can put that sticker on organic food. After all, if traditional food was going to have to suck it up and put GMO warning labels on food, and the $29 billion organic industry thought that was a great idea, it doesn't seem right taxpayers should have to bankroll stickers for anyone else.
The subsidies for organic certification could be reinstated in the coming months. But at least for now, I never thought I'd get to say this, but way to go, Congress.
Farm Bill Cuts $22 Million From Organic Food Funding: Taxpayers Don't Have to Pay For Overpriced Food Labels by Cameron English, PolicyMic.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Tidal Disruption Event: Black Hole Eats Star, Beams Signal To Earth
- Dear California: Why Is Farming Science A Bad Thing Again?
- 5 Laws About Corpses That May Spook You
- Psychiatric Diagnoses Not Valid For African-Americans, Says Sociologist
- Dengue Virus Exposure May Amplify Zika Infection
- Drug Monitoring Programs Reduce Opioid Deaths: Study
- "This is an interesting set of lecture notes by Cranmer from TASI, https://sites.google.com/a/colorado..."
- "Criminal - Clinton Pathological Liar - Clinton Narcissist Egomaniac - Trump - Clinton Lied when..."
- "The only sensible numbers are zero, one, and infinity. Government works the same way. Zero - true..."
- "Hi John,I'll let your comment live out of respect for the effort you put in writing it, but I disagree..."
- "Spoken like someone who has never lived with a health issue that's seriously impacted their life..."
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup
- Mr. Potato Head Needs a New Warning Label!
- Shark Finning is Banned in the US; Banning Trade in Fins May Be Next
- Move Over Zika, It’s Yellow Fever’s Turn