If you ask most people what Froot Loops taste like, they will give you a litany of flavors, based on the colors they remember, it seems.
It's all in their heads, just like buying organic food or homeopathy flu medication. In reality, Froot Loops all taste the same.
This is not news, it's been well documented since at least the 1990s but it got mentioned in TIME a few days ago and so the blogosphere has been engaged in faux outrage. Not the kind of hyper outrage a Nature editor gets if he uses a real person's name after being insulted over and over on Twitter, but outrage just the same.
"We’ve all been misled" jokes Melissa Locker but some bloggers are not joking in their lamentation. I guess I assumed most people know Froot is not a real flavor. It does not say Cherry Lime and Lemon Loops, it says Froot Loops.
Credit: Getty Images. Link: TIME
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- Quantum Cryptography Core Question At The Heart Of Quantum Information Theory Answered?!?
- Unregulated Genetic Testing Websites Still Causing Concerns
- How Marijuana Use Affects People With Bipolar Disorder
- Cats Use Sight Over Smell When Finding Food
- Peanut Consumption Decreases Mortality
- What Antidepressants Do To Healthy People
- "Let me explain exactly why you or your family member reacted as they did, why the test subjects..."
- "One guy runs a red light and is stopped and confesses. One guy runs a red light and says he didn't..."
- "To the author: Before you write a story and assert that the treatment of Lance Armstrong was hypocritical..."
- "Above the author writes: Leipheimer was only banned for six months, and out of season so he did..."
- "I worked in cycling during the Armstrong period. Lance Armstrong was banned from cycling not so..."
- Antidepressants linked to improved cardiovascular outcomes
- Bee Bailout: If dollars rule the world, why shouldn't bees be too big to fail?
- Antidepressants linked with improved cardiovascular outcomes
- How healthy is genetically modified soybean oil?
- Healthier males help infertile obese females conceive