If you ask most people what Froot Loops taste like, they will give you a litany of flavors, based on the colors they remember, it seems.
It's all in their heads, just like buying organic food or homeopathy flu medication. In reality, Froot Loops all taste the same.
This is not news, it's been well documented since at least the 1990s but it got mentioned in TIME a few days ago and so the blogosphere has been engaged in faux outrage. Not the kind of hyper outrage a Nature editor gets if he uses a real person's name after being insulted over and over on Twitter, but outrage just the same.
"We’ve all been misled" jokes Melissa Locker but some bloggers are not joking in their lamentation. I guess I assumed most people know Froot is not a real flavor. It does not say Cherry Lime and Lemon Loops, it says Froot Loops.
Credit: Getty Images. Link: TIME
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Random Thoughts Of A Physicist In Honeymoon
- How Viruses Leave Messages For Descendants On How To 'Infect'
- Scientists For Trump In Spite Of Vaccine Autism And Climate Comments
- Getting Married
- Biomarkers Predict How Well People Age
- Debunked: World To End After Two Snowy Days In Salento, Puglia, Southern Italy, Tears On Macedonia Icon
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- Nexium: The Dark Side Of Pharma
- MRI May Help 27% Of Suspected Prostate Cancer Patients Avoid Biopsies
- McKesson Fined $150 Million as they contribute to opioid crisis - Too Big to Punish
- Are Science Journals Politically Biased? Editor-in-Chief of ACS Journal Refuses to Discuss Editorial Policy
- 7 Marathons in 7 Days on 7 Continents (Healthy?)
- Healthier Eating at Sporting Events, When Menu Has Better Choices
- Your newest food fallacy - natural antioxidants to preserve food.
- Biased testing, or are girls really better at reading than boys?
- ACA hasn't reduced socioeconomic disparities in cancer screening
- How to reduce peanut allergy risk
- Who gets most distracted by cell phones? People who don't use the Internet much