If you ask most people what Froot Loops taste like, they will give you a litany of flavors, based on the colors they remember, it seems.
It's all in their heads, just like buying organic food or homeopathy flu medication. In reality, Froot Loops all taste the same.
This is not news, it's been well documented since at least the 1990s but it got mentioned in TIME a few days ago and so the blogosphere has been engaged in faux outrage. Not the kind of hyper outrage a Nature editor gets if he uses a real person's name after being insulted over and over on Twitter, but outrage just the same.
"We’ve all been misled" jokes Melissa Locker but some bloggers are not joking in their lamentation. I guess I assumed most people know Froot is not a real flavor. It does not say Cherry Lime and Lemon Loops, it says Froot Loops.
Credit: Getty Images. Link: TIME
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Greenpeace Says Its GMOs Are Better Than Science's GMOs, Still Hates Golden Rice
- Reduce Prostate Cancer Risk By Sleeping With Lots Of Women - But Not Men
- Homo Floresiensis: Hobbit Species Continues To Provoke Questions About Human Evolution
- Supersonic Laser-Propelled Aircraft Get A Step Closer
- Okay With Disgusting Images? You Vote This Way 95 Percent Of The Time
- Everyone Hates Daylight Savings Time - But It Might Improve Public Health
- This Mid-Term Election Can Have Evolutionary Consequences
- "You, and Greenpeace, are doing just that. GMO is a legal definition, not a science one, and that..."
- "We lack new medicines because the patents expire too quickly and the regulatory burden is too high..."
- "The problem is, American agricultural science cannot be adopted world-wide for the simple reason..."
- "You're quote mining. When it comes to environmental risk, energy emissions from CO2 are back at..."
- "Of course they aren't. These are scientific terms Hank Campbell and you can't just interpret them..."
- Battle of Britain: NGOs and scientists clash over proposal to loosen EU GMO restrictions
- Genetically modified clean energy from bacteria
- Designer babies: You can screen for cystic fibrosis but intelligence is a ways off
- Science as profane: What superstition of 1752 and 2014 share in common
- What’s so “natural” about “natural crop breeding”?
- Worried you have cancer? Take a Google pill!
- CHEST lung cancer experts present policy statement to CMS Committee on Coverage
- Clinical practice guidelines address multimodality treatment for esophageal cancer
- Molecular tumor markers could reveal new therapeutic targets for lung cancer treatment
- Breakdown in gut barriers to bacteria may promote inflammation and craving in alcoholics
- Sadness lasts longer than other emotions