France is not exactly known for being pro-science (nor is Europe generally) but when it comes to autism, they are decidedly anti-science.
For decades, France has turned its back on the latest scientific thinking and treats autism as a form of psychosis. Instead of using behavioral therapy (developed in the 1970s and '80s in the US and Canada and now the norm in most of the world) to treat autistic children, stimulating and rewarding them to develop the skills they need to function in society, France puts its faith in psychoanalysis. Freud would be proud but most of the world is shocked.
Maybe France is getting the world back for not embracing the metric system. For autism campaigners, it is one of the most serious health scandals of our times.
France's autism treatment 'shame' By Hugh Schofield BBC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "It is no longer necessary to read articles with anything near belief of credibility when thire..."
- "Hi Robert,so you play the piano too!I have started to take piano lessons recently as I would like..."
- "This is somewhat bizarre. The paper itself says:There seems to be not just one, but several..."
- "Cool. We're going to start holding doctors accountable for feigned authority and chasing dollars..."
- "Wonderful Offenbach! I remember that particular tune from my schooldays. This performance..."