France is not exactly known for being pro-science (nor is Europe generally) but when it comes to autism, they are decidedly anti-science.
For decades, France has turned its back on the latest scientific thinking and treats autism as a form of psychosis. Instead of using behavioral therapy (developed in the 1970s and '80s in the US and Canada and now the norm in most of the world) to treat autistic children, stimulating and rewarding them to develop the skills they need to function in society, France puts its faith in psychoanalysis. Freud would be proud but most of the world is shocked.
Maybe France is getting the world back for not embracing the metric system. For autism campaigners, it is one of the most serious health scandals of our times.
France's autism treatment 'shame' By Hugh Schofield BBC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- Planet Nine: A World That Shouldn't Exist
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Survival Of The Oldest
- Nanoparticles Hold Promise As Double-edged Sword Against Genital Herpes
- One Third Of Antibiotic Prescriptions Unnecessary
- "In response to your point about building pressurized structures: something we have no experience..."
- "https://i2.wp.com/iceagenow.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Cooking-the-thermometer.png ..."
- "Top US scientist? He hasn’t published a paper in 50 years! He’s an interesting case. In 1990s..."
- "Ya, and your science consists of what? Conclusions based on data that has been homogenized (manipulated)..."
- "Just to prove that you know not what you speakith, the history of the study of logical fallacies..."
- Bed Bugs May Have A Favorite Color
- NASA: Rising CO2 Will Help Food Crops
- NRDC Sues EPA Over Fracking – Has The Settlement Been Pre-Arranged?
- Vaccinate Pregnant Moms to Protect Babies from the Flu
- Pure Unstructured Structured Water – Because Some People Will Buy Anything
- Critical-Care Drug Shortages Continue, Despite FDA Action
- Ketamine lifts depression via a byproduct of its metabolism
- National hospital system uses enterprise approach for assessing bleeding risks
- Comparative analysis reveals use patterns of deeper Caribbean coral reefs by shark species
- Call to re-examine '14-day rule' limiting in vitro human-embryo research
- Study reveals safety and feasibility of robotically assisted PCI in complex cases