France is not exactly known for being pro-science (nor is Europe generally) but when it comes to autism, they are decidedly anti-science.
For decades, France has turned its back on the latest scientific thinking and treats autism as a form of psychosis. Instead of using behavioral therapy (developed in the 1970s and '80s in the US and Canada and now the norm in most of the world) to treat autistic children, stimulating and rewarding them to develop the skills they need to function in society, France puts its faith in psychoanalysis. Freud would be proud but most of the world is shocked.
Maybe France is getting the world back for not embracing the metric system. For autism campaigners, it is one of the most serious health scandals of our times.
France's autism treatment 'shame' By Hugh Schofield BBC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lexus Hoverboard Gets Off The Ground
- EWG's Little Site Of Horrors
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- Predictive Coding Theory: How Our Brains Recognize Faces From Minimal Information
- New Mars Colony Mission Crowdfunds its Way to the Red Planet
- What Food Can You Safely Share With An ET?
- "You may have gone the wrong way on this one. I think nemo was only making an amusing observation..."
- "I don't really see where this would be about money, as I can't see how Heather Bloom could get..."
- "Loved the link. If I had to guess, much like everything else, money is the driving force behind..."
- "Oh, I see. Nice logic. Because I don't know care or know anything about cars, that negates a lifetime..."
- "That's a great question. What we really want to know is How many of the people studied gained a..."
- First trial of gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows beneficial effect on lung function
- We're not alone, mathematically, but the universe may be less crowded than we think
- Income taxes give a more accurate picture of the value of a college degree
- Human antibody blocks dengue virus in mice
- Elastic gel to heal wounds