France is not exactly known for being pro-science (nor is Europe generally) but when it comes to autism, they are decidedly anti-science.
For decades, France has turned its back on the latest scientific thinking and treats autism as a form of psychosis. Instead of using behavioral therapy (developed in the 1970s and '80s in the US and Canada and now the norm in most of the world) to treat autistic children, stimulating and rewarding them to develop the skills they need to function in society, France puts its faith in psychoanalysis. Freud would be proud but most of the world is shocked.
Maybe France is getting the world back for not embracing the metric system. For autism campaigners, it is one of the most serious health scandals of our times.
France's autism treatment 'shame' By Hugh Schofield BBC News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thinking 'I Can Do Better' Really Can Improve Performance, Study Finds
- Brain Cancer: Why Glioblastoma Is So Difficult To Treat
- Benign Bacteria Block Mosquitoes From Transmitting Zika, Chikungunya Viruses
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition 4 Millon Signatures, Nearly 12% Of Total Votes Cast
- Little To No Association Between Butter Consumption And Chronic Disease Or Total Mortality
- Out Of Africa: What They Do Not Tell Us
- "Are you proposing pseudo-positive/negative eugenics? As my boss always says, don't point out a..."
- " Media Silent as Concealed Carrier Stops Mass Shooting in Progress at a South Carolina Nightclub..."
- "Thank you for your support - but since the comment you refer to was advocating the shutting down..."
- "Instead of ND, substitute DD, and you have a whole other basket of charlatans - and that comment..."
- " Some parts from my second response to Nina Teicholz article ( http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj..."
- The Relationship Between Alcohol and Happiness
- Psst…NRDC Stoners: Your Endocrines Are Disrupted
- College Kids Mostly Blow Off Food-Label Use, Study Finds
- Blue Birds Aren’t Blue, and This is How They Fool You
- ‘Vaxxed’: The Film That No One Saw
- Vice President Joe Biden Threatens the Scientific Community
- Consensus statement: Environmental toxins hurt brain development, action needed
- New anti-cancer strategy mobilizes both innate and adaptive immune response
- Aging population is growing ranks of cancer survivors
- UK government should fund media campaigns that promote quitting, not films that promote smoking
- Report: A host of common chemicals endanger child brain development