There is an obvious demographic thread that connects anti-science groups in food, in medicine, in research and pharmacy too, but most science media pundits are incapable of seeing it or flat out deny it.
Yet it is hard to deny. Meanwhile, every science media outlet publishes articles claiming the entire Republican party must be anti-science because more of them deny global warming and slightly more Republicans than Democrats deny evolution.
The anti-biology movement among the left, Jon Entine notes, is "enabled by advocacy NGOs and campaigning journalists who, ironically, took the lead in debunking the pseudo-science of the right."
Entine specifically takes to task Tom Phillpott, blogger for Mother Jones, who was recruited from Grist and basically rewrites every press release from Greenpeace, Environmental Working Group or Union of Concerned Scientists, when they are on their anti-biology kick. Obviously, anti-food readers conflate partisan framing with serious journalism, it's one of the readers why science journalism is on its death bed.
He is not the only one, of course. When it comes to making the political connection among common science interests, the bulk of science media can only see one party's problem children.
Turning point from the French maize study: GM Opponents look like climate deniers by Jon Entine, Genetic Literacy Project
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Vitamin D Could Help Control TB In Animals
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- Wetlands And Agriculture, Not Fossil Fuels, Behind The Global Rise In Methane
- How Would You Like A Kitchen Surface That Cleans Itself?
- Mass Immigration Is Correlated To Higher Levels Of Crime, But Not Causal
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- "No, no cause for concern at all :). It's just a new moon, such as happens once a month. When the..."
- "Nice quote! I googled around for this a bit more and stumbled on a graph that showed earth's energy..."
- "hey robert you ta knowing that tomorrow will be a phenomenon on the moon called black moon ???..."
- "Oh, that's a really interesting point, hadn't thought of that. I agree! Perhaps the most advanced..."
- "Yes that's what I'm saying :). If you want more reassurance do message me on quora, quite a few..."
- ACSH Performs #22PushUps Challenge
- American Horror Story: First Ebola, Then Zika. Is Chagas Next?
- Kratom Is A Drug By Any Measure - Treat It Like One
- San Francisco Soda Tax: A Feel-Good Policy Based on Junk Science
- Watson and Crick did not discover DNA
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal
- How would you like a kitchen surface that cleans itself?