There is an obvious demographic thread that connects anti-science groups in food, in medicine, in research and pharmacy too, but most science media pundits are incapable of seeing it or flat out deny it.
Yet it is hard to deny. Meanwhile, every science media outlet publishes articles claiming the entire Republican party must be anti-science because more of them deny global warming and slightly more Republicans than Democrats deny evolution.
The anti-biology movement among the left, Jon Entine notes, is "enabled by advocacy NGOs and campaigning journalists who, ironically, took the lead in debunking the pseudo-science of the right."
Entine specifically takes to task Tom Phillpott, blogger for Mother Jones, who was recruited from Grist and basically rewrites every press release from Greenpeace, Environmental Working Group or Union of Concerned Scientists, when they are on their anti-biology kick. Obviously, anti-food readers conflate partisan framing with serious journalism, it's one of the readers why science journalism is on its death bed.
He is not the only one, of course. When it comes to making the political connection among common science interests, the bulk of science media can only see one party's problem children.
Turning point from the French maize study: GM Opponents look like climate deniers by Jon Entine, Genetic Literacy Project
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- Lichen: Apparently Happy Couple Really A Threesome
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- US Could Feed Twice As Many People - If Only Elites Eat Meat
- The Daily Physics Problem - 3
- People Estimate Their Own Abilities Based On Others' Performance
- "Based on credible assumptions about the system, a possible theory is that some not-very-good physicist..."
- "Well, if the simple enough comments above are already too hard for you and a mile-long, I am sure..."
- "You are so clearly delusional about what an experimental physicist should know, that I don't feel..."
- "I do this mainly because people get so scared about the idea, and I had one person post to the..."
- "Dear Tommaso, your order to consider all thinkable things is even more wrong and *especially* wrong..."
- Conservationists should be worried about Pokémon Go
- That time the Mafia almost fixed the Democratic National Convention
- The history of attitudes toward public breastfeeding
- Unusual new zoantharian species is the first described solitary species in over 100 years
- Scientists develop painless and inexpensive microneedle system to monitor drugs