There is an obvious demographic thread that connects anti-science groups in food, in medicine, in research and pharmacy too, but most science media pundits are incapable of seeing it or flat out deny it.
Yet it is hard to deny. Meanwhile, every science media outlet publishes articles claiming the entire Republican party must be anti-science because more of them deny global warming and slightly more Republicans than Democrats deny evolution.
The anti-biology movement among the left, Jon Entine notes, is "enabled by advocacy NGOs and campaigning journalists who, ironically, took the lead in debunking the pseudo-science of the right."
Entine specifically takes to task Tom Phillpott, blogger for Mother Jones, who was recruited from Grist and basically rewrites every press release from Greenpeace, Environmental Working Group or Union of Concerned Scientists, when they are on their anti-biology kick. Obviously, anti-food readers conflate partisan framing with serious journalism, it's one of the readers why science journalism is on its death bed.
He is not the only one, of course. When it comes to making the political connection among common science interests, the bulk of science media can only see one party's problem children.
Turning point from the French maize study: GM Opponents look like climate deniers by Jon Entine, Genetic Literacy Project
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- New GHOST Technology Leaps Out Of The Screen
- AMVA4NewPhysics Logo
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- Radiation Detectors Click By Design
- Patients With Recurrent Depression Have Smaller Hippocampi
- "Dr I think being obese is a mixture of the culture we grow up and lifestlye we choose to leave..."
- "Thank you for your words of encouragement. And, I agree that when it comes to weight control, the..."
- "Hi Bill, thanks for your message - I am considering your input. Maybe some more concept and less..."
- "Thanks for the tips - well indeed the internet is a complex place. But I did want some pink and..."
- "Apologizing for a hiatus due to vacations, I am posting today.... Yes Tommaso, how dare you allow..."
- What bee-killing mites can teach us about parasite evolution
- Autism - measured in a sniff
- Opera is deadly - but The Tarantino influence in modern opera is killing it
- Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows encouraging trial results
- Prion trials and tribulations: Finding the right tools and experimental models