There is an obvious demographic thread that connects anti-science groups in food, in medicine, in research and pharmacy too, but most science media pundits are incapable of seeing it or flat out deny it.
Yet it is hard to deny. Meanwhile, every science media outlet publishes articles claiming the entire Republican party must be anti-science because more of them deny global warming and slightly more Republicans than Democrats deny evolution.
The anti-biology movement among the left, Jon Entine notes, is "enabled by advocacy NGOs and campaigning journalists who, ironically, took the lead in debunking the pseudo-science of the right."
Entine specifically takes to task Tom Phillpott, blogger for Mother Jones, who was recruited from Grist and basically rewrites every press release from Greenpeace, Environmental Working Group or Union of Concerned Scientists, when they are on their anti-biology kick. Obviously, anti-food readers conflate partisan framing with serious journalism, it's one of the readers why science journalism is on its death bed.
He is not the only one, of course. When it comes to making the political connection among common science interests, the bulk of science media can only see one party's problem children.
Turning point from the French maize study: GM Opponents look like climate deniers by Jon Entine, Genetic Literacy Project
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Serious Physics Of Super Balls
- Will Female Viagra Be An FDA Boner?
- Grading The President's Strategy To Promote Bee Health
- Enjoy Sugar Again: High Carb Diet On Par With Caloric Restriction In Boosting Health
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Machine Learning And Big Data Is Changing Sports
- Could Better Psychology Tests Have Predicted The Germanwings Suicide Crash?
- "Let's expand the papers you read, and pay less attention to talks where perhaps there were no critics..."
- "I've sent the email, look forward to hearing from you...."
- "Just to say, there's a lot of criticism of using impact factors of journals to judge the value..."
- "If she could do the tests herself, and it was beyond reproach, she'd probably have been published..."
- "A huge problem most of us are facing is being unable to find a doctor that will go against cdc..."