In the mid-1980s something odd occurred in Scandinavia that would be mirrored throughout the western world. Pediatricians in Sweden started reporting an increase in babies and toddlers with celiac disease.
Better diagnosis, right? Maybe. Or maybe, says new research, it was how babies were fed. Not mote gluten as a problem, less. In 1996, gluten diagnoses began to drop again, after quadrupling from 1984 to 1996.
What changed? In 1982 Swedish authorities recommended holding off on any glutens until a child was 6 months old and suddenly celiac disease went up. Anna Myléus of the University of Umeå, Sweden and colleagues studied this Swedish epidemic and concluded that the change in the infants’ diet to protect against celiac disease was actually causing more of it. It’s also possible to guard against the disease by introducing gluten in the proper way, Myléus argues in her doctoral thesis.
People with celiac disease can't consume the protein gluten, found in wheat, rye and barley, it is like poison to them and causes an inflammatory reaction in the intestines. Myléus determined it was the combination of holding off until gluten later and that babies were getting more of it that led to the surge in diagnoses. Mothers had been told to breastfeed longer and to hold off on gluten until later. Meanwhile, major baby food manufacturers increased the amounts of glutenous flour in powdered porridges. The strongest link in the 13,000 occurred in mothers who stopped breastfeeding and introduced more gluten later.
So introducing small amounts of gluten earlier may be the solution to at least some cases.
Myléus also checked for celiac disease links to vaccines but did not find any. Sorry, Mercola.com anti-science cranks.
Counter coeliac disease with early glutens by Ingrid Spilde ScienceNordic.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 2/3
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- "Your argument sounds very seductive, although it falls under the category of an appeal to authority..."
- "I just wanted to clarify your statement, When he went into space it was on top of a converted ICBM..."
- "Hi mr walker quick question is nibiru real alot of people saying it is sorry to bother you im just..."
- "Anybody else having problems trying to see comments ..."
- "Anybody else having problems reading comments on here ..."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!