It's not easy to get a tenured professor to leave his job - unless he is caught dog-fighting or saying girls might be different than boys, there isn't a lot off-limits, especially at a progressive bastion like Harvard.
But bad press is not always good press and Harvard evolutionary psychology Professor Marc D. Hauser has announced his resignation. A three-year investigation said he fudged data in his research on monkey cognition and he was on the wrong side a Psychology Department vote in February to disallow him from teaching in the upcoming academic year.
Science loves the oppressed underdog so when an internal Harvard investigation found Hauser “solely responsible for eight counts of scientific misconduct”, apologists in academia immediately began rationalizing that slap in a way we haven't seen since the IAC slapped the IPCC for publishing old magazine interviews and calling them data.
With Satoshi Kanazawa and Marc Hauser no longer writing the sort of popular tripe that makes media headlines for science looking silly, the evil zombie of evolutionary psychology may finally undergo a final death.
Hauser says he has a lot of opportunities in the private sector and that may be a good thing - the only thing academia loves more than getting someone fired is campaigning to bring them back, so Hauser may not be out of the university scene for long. And Larry Summers had to resign from Harvard for believing he could have an intellectual discourse about gender differences but a short while later he was on Pres. Obama's transition team. You never know where life will take you.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- A Racist On The Jews: Let The Donald Trump!
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the a$$ today.
- Perception: The Forgotten Psychology of Holographic Universe Simulations 1/2
- Microbiome: 'Emerging Medical Science' Is The New Term For Chasing A Fad
- What If The Moon Had Blue Skies? One Small Change To Apollo Photos
- "Thanks Dr. Durig, for this article. I am very much interested in the topic of Self-awareness and..."
- "The only people who are in for a shock are the people who believe in it, when nothing happens...."
- "Oh, okay, you need to understand a bit about how solar systems form. It starts with a condensing..."
- "Are we gonna be in for a shock with this nibiru planet mr walker also if you had the chance to..."
- "The thing that gets me mr walker is planets can collide so why all of a sudden is this now impossible..."
- The Math of Hunting and Fishing: When to Work Together
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?