James Hansen, head of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, was arrested outside the White House as he joined protesters in urging President Barack Obama to reject TransCanada Corp. (TRP)’s $7 billion pipeline.
It's all fine to protest but we have to find out if he took yet another leave of absence to engage in advocacy work. If climate scientists want to be regarded as trusted guides for complex science issues, they need to stop being kooky shills. Hansen goes to all of these things because he leverages the NASA brand - he isn't a climate scientist by degree, he is an astrophysicist.
Environmentalists oppose the Keystone pipeline project because they would apparently rather continue giving money to misogynist, human rights-violating dictatorships than add 120,000 jobs in North America and have fewer greenhouse gas emissions by lowering transport needs significantly.
A State Department report last week said that the pipeline across six U.S. states to carry oil from Alberta, Canada, to the Gulf Coast has low environmental risks provided TransCanada complies with U.S. law and follows recommended safeguards. A final decision will be made by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton this year, based on whether the project is in the U.S. national interest.
More: NASA’s Hansen Arrested Outside White House at Pipeline Protest - Mark Drajem, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Could You See Moon City Lights Or A Greenhouse From Earth? Just For Fun
- Mother Jones Hates Scientists - And Their Bias Shows
- The Alleged Perversion of Geoff Marcy and Sexual Harassment.
- The Plot Of The Week: Light New Bosons Below The J/Psi
- Hand And Arm Movement To Quadriplegic Patients Restored
- To Make EU Food Sector Renewable Energy Viable, Less Meat And More...organic Veggies?
- 'Blind Analysis' Used In Physics Could Reduce Bias In Social And Life Sciences Papers
- "You don't know me, you don't know anything about me - but if you were not reflexively defending..."
- "Yes, it's a unfortunate place for that event. The problem is that the dimuon mass cannot be smaller..."
- "And this author thinks he's a superior voice for truth when he writes this total BS?: Unlike Mother..."
- "Thanks for sharing. It seems with each new result, the window for new physics gets smaller. By..."
- "The events are not statistically independent! My definition of (statistical) dependence is the..."
- ACSH Talks Science Outreach At The Western Plant Health Association Meeting
- OxyContin-for-Kids Debate, Now National, Intensifies
- Golden Rice Moves Closer to Reality in Asia
- C. Diff. Can Be Controlled, With Relative Ease
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation