James Hansen, head of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, was arrested outside the White House as he joined protesters in urging President Barack Obama to reject TransCanada Corp. (TRP)’s $7 billion pipeline.
It's all fine to protest but we have to find out if he took yet another leave of absence to engage in advocacy work. If climate scientists want to be regarded as trusted guides for complex science issues, they need to stop being kooky shills. Hansen goes to all of these things because he leverages the NASA brand - he isn't a climate scientist by degree, he is an astrophysicist.
Environmentalists oppose the Keystone pipeline project because they would apparently rather continue giving money to misogynist, human rights-violating dictatorships than add 120,000 jobs in North America and have fewer greenhouse gas emissions by lowering transport needs significantly.
A State Department report last week said that the pipeline across six U.S. states to carry oil from Alberta, Canada, to the Gulf Coast has low environmental risks provided TransCanada complies with U.S. law and follows recommended safeguards. A final decision will be made by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton this year, based on whether the project is in the U.S. national interest.
More: NASA’s Hansen Arrested Outside White House at Pipeline Protest - Mark Drajem, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- IQ: Why 1904 Testing Shouldn't Be Used Today
- " She identifies as dyke and I identify(ed?) as anti-fascist. There is nothing offending or..."
- " It was the National Academy of Sciences in a 1970 report who said DDT had probably saved more..."
- "In which country is 40000 euros *not* high? :-)..."
- "it is really disturbing to see that teaching doesn't learn from it's own best practices.... I found..."
- " What makes this time around more significant than 2003? or 2008? or 2012? Again, what are your..."