James Hansen, head of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, was arrested outside the White House as he joined protesters in urging President Barack Obama to reject TransCanada Corp. (TRP)’s $7 billion pipeline.
It's all fine to protest but we have to find out if he took yet another leave of absence to engage in advocacy work. If climate scientists want to be regarded as trusted guides for complex science issues, they need to stop being kooky shills. Hansen goes to all of these things because he leverages the NASA brand - he isn't a climate scientist by degree, he is an astrophysicist.
Environmentalists oppose the Keystone pipeline project because they would apparently rather continue giving money to misogynist, human rights-violating dictatorships than add 120,000 jobs in North America and have fewer greenhouse gas emissions by lowering transport needs significantly.
A State Department report last week said that the pipeline across six U.S. states to carry oil from Alberta, Canada, to the Gulf Coast has low environmental risks provided TransCanada complies with U.S. law and follows recommended safeguards. A final decision will be made by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton this year, based on whether the project is in the U.S. national interest.
More: NASA’s Hansen Arrested Outside White House at Pipeline Protest - Mark Drajem, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Robot Tongue Identifies The Correct Beer Every Time
- Why Does The Public Worry About GM Foods But Embrace Biotech Medicine?
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Did The Scottish Settle Iceland A Century Before The Norse?
- Highest Energy Collisions ? Not In My Book
- Editorial Independence Or Extortion? Frontiers Sacks 31 Editors
- 2nd law of thermodynamics
- "Hank,I am not sure if you were the reason for the PNAS thing. I remember learning about the..."
- "64. Combo of Overweight, High Sodium Intake Speeds Cell Aging in Teens. March 20th, 2014 http://blog..."
- " This pretty well destroys the Myth of second hand smoke: Lungs from pack-a-day smokers safe for..."
- "This is a good start, but describing the waste stream of nuclear power in terms of carbon production..."
- "Knowing this would a mitochondrial superoxide like MitoQ be beneficial or harmful?..."