James Hansen, head of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, was arrested outside the White House as he joined protesters in urging President Barack Obama to reject TransCanada Corp. (TRP)’s $7 billion pipeline.
It's all fine to protest but we have to find out if he took yet another leave of absence to engage in advocacy work. If climate scientists want to be regarded as trusted guides for complex science issues, they need to stop being kooky shills. Hansen goes to all of these things because he leverages the NASA brand - he isn't a climate scientist by degree, he is an astrophysicist.
Environmentalists oppose the Keystone pipeline project because they would apparently rather continue giving money to misogynist, human rights-violating dictatorships than add 120,000 jobs in North America and have fewer greenhouse gas emissions by lowering transport needs significantly.
A State Department report last week said that the pipeline across six U.S. states to carry oil from Alberta, Canada, to the Gulf Coast has low environmental risks provided TransCanada complies with U.S. law and follows recommended safeguards. A final decision will be made by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton this year, based on whether the project is in the U.S. national interest.
More: NASA’s Hansen Arrested Outside White House at Pipeline Protest - Mark Drajem, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Pseudoscience Creeping Into Your Conference? A Case In GMOs And Glyphosate
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Beyond Diamonds And Gems: The World's Rarest Minerals
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- The 10 catastrophic mistakes virtual reality firms are making
- When Machines Can Do Any Job, What Will Humans Do?
- "That reminds me of the chemiosmotic war that followed Peter Mitchell's publication of his theory..."
- "The American Physical Society (APS) has allowed physics crackpots to attend conferences for years..."
- "A further comment on the meaning of Poincaré's prediction about gravitational waves : the classical..."
- "Dear Tomasso I have a simple question: What is the probability of a chirped wave train of 20ms..."
- "Ciao Giulio - I work on the LIGO and Virgo instruments, I can try to explain. The arms in LIGO..."
- Beard Microbiology: Grubby Hipsters May Be On To Something
- Water Tops the List of Health Concerns for Competitive Eaters
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- BRCA Tests Increasing for Younger Breast Cancer Patients
- Dark matter scientists on brink of discovering elusive particles
- Science responds to globalized disease threat to farms and food systems
- Americans' support for science remains strong
- Loss of sleep during adolescence may be a diabetes danger
- Study of cognitive development in deaf children revisits longstanding debate