James Hansen, head of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, was arrested outside the White House as he joined protesters in urging President Barack Obama to reject TransCanada Corp. (TRP)’s $7 billion pipeline.
It's all fine to protest but we have to find out if he took yet another leave of absence to engage in advocacy work. If climate scientists want to be regarded as trusted guides for complex science issues, they need to stop being kooky shills. Hansen goes to all of these things because he leverages the NASA brand - he isn't a climate scientist by degree, he is an astrophysicist.
Environmentalists oppose the Keystone pipeline project because they would apparently rather continue giving money to misogynist, human rights-violating dictatorships than add 120,000 jobs in North America and have fewer greenhouse gas emissions by lowering transport needs significantly.
A State Department report last week said that the pipeline across six U.S. states to carry oil from Alberta, Canada, to the Gulf Coast has low environmental risks provided TransCanada complies with U.S. law and follows recommended safeguards. A final decision will be made by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton this year, based on whether the project is in the U.S. national interest.
More: NASA’s Hansen Arrested Outside White House at Pipeline Protest - Mark Drajem, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Top Scientists Chastise Greenpeace
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- "I try this one... I am a bit rusty, so my solution can be dramatically wrong. Given that B is uniform..."
- "wow! with a name like Wilhelmina Pelegrina, she can't do no wrong. also,some of the problems in..."
- "This is the best you could do? Golden Rice is in the public domain - the lack of any corporate..."
- "Dylan, okay first TL:DR, the answer is that for anything of 10 km upwards, months or a year or..."
- "Some more citations to work into the text later on:Eric Christensen, director of the UA's Catalina..."
- Cancer As Modern Lifestyle Disease? Only If There Was Processed Food 2 Million Years Ago
- Blood Test for Alzheimer’s: Close Or Hype?
- The Flavor Enhancing Molecule in Roasted Garlic Powder
- Pediatricians Should Provide Sex Ed, But Many Don’t
- Calico Cats Are A Walking Genetics Lesson
- Statins Could Help Prevent Some Pregnancy Ills
- An extraordinary standard: New NIST protein could spur biopharmaceutical innovation
- Early detection of leukemia patients' resistance to therapy
- Research reveals restorative justice reduces recidivism
- Recovery of dopamine function emerges with recovery from smoking
- Scientists call for increased federal investment in sustainable agriculture