James Hansen, head of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, was arrested outside the White House as he joined protesters in urging President Barack Obama to reject TransCanada Corp. (TRP)’s $7 billion pipeline.
It's all fine to protest but we have to find out if he took yet another leave of absence to engage in advocacy work. If climate scientists want to be regarded as trusted guides for complex science issues, they need to stop being kooky shills. Hansen goes to all of these things because he leverages the NASA brand - he isn't a climate scientist by degree, he is an astrophysicist.
Environmentalists oppose the Keystone pipeline project because they would apparently rather continue giving money to misogynist, human rights-violating dictatorships than add 120,000 jobs in North America and have fewer greenhouse gas emissions by lowering transport needs significantly.
A State Department report last week said that the pipeline across six U.S. states to carry oil from Alberta, Canada, to the Gulf Coast has low environmental risks provided TransCanada complies with U.S. law and follows recommended safeguards. A final decision will be made by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton this year, based on whether the project is in the U.S. national interest.
More: NASA’s Hansen Arrested Outside White House at Pipeline Protest - Mark Drajem, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Science Behind Distillation
- New Results From The LHC At 13 TeV!
- How Did Mexico Eliminate Breast Cancer Deaths?
- 3D Printed ‘Smart Cap’ Can Detect Spoiled Food
- Epigenetics: Quackery Or Phenomenon?
- No other way
- Kepler 452b - Things That Could Go Wrong With Habitability & If It Is - Could We Detect Intelligent Life There?
- "Question: Are there 2 data points missing in the mT plot? and surely the high mT 'excess' has got..."
- "I think Omoo is a fine word. But Pluto may not like it regardless, because 2% of astronomers may..."
- "Not cool Tommaso. :) I take that means the excess disappeared at 13 tev. ..."
- "Ah, that - I guess at 13 TeV it will become a 3.2 TeV excess ;-)Cheers,T...."
- "This is way off topic, but Bush tried to fix the problem about 15 years ago for my generation and..."
- Research grasps how the brain plans gripping motion
- Clinical validation for LOXO-101 against TRK fusion cancer
- It don't mean a thing if the brain ain't got that swing
- Very early birth correlated to introversion, neuroticism, and risk aversion in adulthood
- Personality disorders drive psychiatric patients to euthanasia