James Hansen, head of NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies, was arrested outside the White House as he joined protesters in urging President Barack Obama to reject TransCanada Corp. (TRP)’s $7 billion pipeline.
It's all fine to protest but we have to find out if he took yet another leave of absence to engage in advocacy work. If climate scientists want to be regarded as trusted guides for complex science issues, they need to stop being kooky shills. Hansen goes to all of these things because he leverages the NASA brand - he isn't a climate scientist by degree, he is an astrophysicist.
Environmentalists oppose the Keystone pipeline project because they would apparently rather continue giving money to misogynist, human rights-violating dictatorships than add 120,000 jobs in North America and have fewer greenhouse gas emissions by lowering transport needs significantly.
A State Department report last week said that the pipeline across six U.S. states to carry oil from Alberta, Canada, to the Gulf Coast has low environmental risks provided TransCanada complies with U.S. law and follows recommended safeguards. A final decision will be made by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton this year, based on whether the project is in the U.S. national interest.
More: NASA’s Hansen Arrested Outside White House at Pipeline Protest - Mark Drajem, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Yawunik Kootenayi - Lobster With Two Sets Of Eyes From 500,000,000 B.C.
- Spring Flukes: New 3-Sigma Signals From LHCb And ATLAS
- Dark Matter - Now With More Darkness
- Bee Colonies In 2014 Increase Another 4 Percent
- "Terrence- I just don't get curling. The guys with the brooms look like lunatics. And you..."
- "Mr Bloom Yes you have made your Point. Have you ever watched curling? As an active sport, point..."
- "Terence- Thanks for your comments. Although I am pretty good at spotting quacks, I cannot say the..."
- "Greetings Mr Bloom Thank you for your work. I currently reside in Boise Idaho. Looking at the Pewforum..."
- "I am reminded of the Australian children’s sci-fi serial, Tomorrow’s End. It is the year..."