Linhenykus monodactylus has been identified as the first dinosaur with just one finger.
The new dinosaur belongs to the Alvarezsauroidea, a branch of the carnivorous dinosaur group Theropoda. Theropods gave rise to modern birds and include such famous dinosaurs as Tyrannosaurus Rex and Velociraptor.
This specimen is the only known dinosaur with one finger, and highlights the wide variety of evolutionary modifications of the hand that existed in different theropods.
Artist's impression of Linhenykus monodactylus, © Julius T. Csotonyi
Most theropod dinosaurs have three fingers on each hand, but in most alvarezsauroids other than Linhenykus the two outer fingers are reduced to tiny, apparently useless structures. The presence of only one finger in Linhenykus, which is hypothesized to be a relatively primitive alvarezsauroid, shows that these vestigial fingers were not present in all members of the group.
The reasons for the loss of the two outer fingers in Linhenykus are unclear, and their disappearance may simply reflect the fact that they were no longer being actively maintained by natural selection
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- New Results From The LHC At 13 TeV!
- How Did Mexico Eliminate Breast Cancer Deaths?
- Half Of Biomedical Studies Aren't Reproducible – And What We Need To Do About That
- The Science Behind Distillation
- No other way
- 3D Printed ‘Smart Cap’ Can Detect Spoiled Food
- "Gori- Thanks much. I try. I am patiently skeptical about the biota concept. This..."
- "Great article Josh. Hopefully your continued sunshine on the toxicity of artificial sweeteners..."
- "I mean wait. Let me take that back. Are you saying it is getting heavier? From 2tev to 3.2tev?..."
- "You may choose to believe me, or not. I've been doing this for five years, during which time I..."
- "I've never even gotten a free Coke so I am a little jealous if he got paid to write this. Did Pepsi..."