Linhenykus monodactylus has been identified as the first dinosaur with just one finger.
The new dinosaur belongs to the Alvarezsauroidea, a branch of the carnivorous dinosaur group Theropoda. Theropods gave rise to modern birds and include such famous dinosaurs as Tyrannosaurus Rex and Velociraptor.
This specimen is the only known dinosaur with one finger, and highlights the wide variety of evolutionary modifications of the hand that existed in different theropods.
Artist's impression of Linhenykus monodactylus, © Julius T. Csotonyi
Most theropod dinosaurs have three fingers on each hand, but in most alvarezsauroids other than Linhenykus the two outer fingers are reduced to tiny, apparently useless structures. The presence of only one finger in Linhenykus, which is hypothesized to be a relatively primitive alvarezsauroid, shows that these vestigial fingers were not present in all members of the group.
The reasons for the loss of the two outer fingers in Linhenykus are unclear, and their disappearance may simply reflect the fact that they were no longer being actively maintained by natural selection
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Case For Moon: Gateway For Open Ended, Exploraton, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Why We Get Tired When We Stay Up Too Late
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- Even Light Drinkers Should Watch For Fatty Liver Disease
- Deep Learning Enters The Beauty Industry
- When It Comes To Replicating Psychology Studies, Good Luck
- "Climate change has been affected by Al-Nino...."
- "And: Comparative efficacy of homeopathic and allopathic systems of medicine in the management of..."
- "It is not nonsense, it is fact. Do some research. If you and others were correct there should,..."
- "Thank you for the reply. Your comments are thought provoking. However, you make it clear I could..."
- "never in all of the years i have used Google News as a source have i come upon such written trash..."
- New method gives scientists a better look at how HIV infects and takes over its host cells
- Current screening methods miss worrisome number of persons with mild cognitive impairment
- Couples study ties anger to heart problems, stonewalling to back pain
- Northern invaders threaten Antarctic marine life
- Even light drinkers should watch for fatty liver disease