What would you say if you had been in a vegetative state for 12 years?
39-year-old Scott Routley has been able to communicate to doctors that he is not in any pain, marking the first time an uncommunicative, severely brain-damaged patient has been able to give direct answers regarding their care and treatment.
The communication was done with doctors who are monitoring his brain activity through Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) scans.
Traditional tests have continued to indicate that Routley is in a vegetative state, with no relevant brain activity. Owen and other doctors say this means medical text books will literally need to be re-written when it comes to evaluating patients suffering from severe brain injuries.
Vegetative man tells doctors ‘I’m not in pain’ via MRI communication - Yahoo News, BBC
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "It is unlikely anyone did anything to you. And most of the slaves - before importation was outlawed..."
- "Yes, the war on guns will be about as successful as the war on drugs. Just say No! 3D-printed guns..."
- "Yes, we people of color need mental health care; we hallucinated white-perpetrated slavery, segregation..."
- "I am betting you need mental health care. You are trying to contend that the color of skin - but..."
- "Indeed, the name of the article is This Is the Lamest Defense of GMO Foods Ever and he false equivalences..."
- Why Is Mother Jones So Afraid Of Science? And Journalism?
- Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Health of Some Diabetics
- Ben Carson Bungles Again, Treating Cancer with Supplements
- No Vax, No School: US Supreme Court Backs NY State
- Remaking the Peanut to Make Schools Safer
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Not Magical, Nobel Prize or Not