What would you say if you had been in a vegetative state for 12 years?
39-year-old Scott Routley has been able to communicate to doctors that he is not in any pain, marking the first time an uncommunicative, severely brain-damaged patient has been able to give direct answers regarding their care and treatment.
The communication was done with doctors who are monitoring his brain activity through Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) scans.
Traditional tests have continued to indicate that Routley is in a vegetative state, with no relevant brain activity. Owen and other doctors say this means medical text books will literally need to be re-written when it comes to evaluating patients suffering from severe brain injuries.
Vegetative man tells doctors ‘I’m not in pain’ via MRI communication - Yahoo News, BBC
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Questions a Surface Pro 3 user has about Windows 10.
- Epigenetics Of Being Without Electricity For A Few Days
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- Multiple Sclerosis Patients Benefit From Exercise
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Why Japan’s Deadly Ontake Eruption Could Not Be Predicted
- Mutational Robustness: Why Duplicate Genes Remain In The Genome
- "Lol, I don't have any problem with that...."
- "There is only one scientific understanding of the neuron-behavior linkage: Kandel et al spent 30..."
- "No wonder you have a problem comprehending climate change!..."
- "There are many truths of which the full meaning cannot be realized until personal experience has..."
- "Ha ha ha ROFL!..."
- Delayed introduction to gluten appears not to prevent celiac disease in at-risk infants
- Teen pregnancies, abortions plunge with free birth control
- B and T cell-targeting drug ameliorates chronic graft-versus-host disease in mice
- Clinical trial evaluates heterologous prime/boost regimens in preventative HIV vaccination
- Montmorency tart cherry juice lowered blood uric acid levels and a marker for inflammation
Books By Writers Here