What would you say if you had been in a vegetative state for 12 years?
39-year-old Scott Routley has been able to communicate to doctors that he is not in any pain, marking the first time an uncommunicative, severely brain-damaged patient has been able to give direct answers regarding their care and treatment.
The communication was done with doctors who are monitoring his brain activity through Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) scans.
Traditional tests have continued to indicate that Routley is in a vegetative state, with no relevant brain activity. Owen and other doctors say this means medical text books will literally need to be re-written when it comes to evaluating patients suffering from severe brain injuries.
Vegetative man tells doctors ‘I’m not in pain’ via MRI communication - Yahoo News, BBC
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- What May Be Missing From Quantum Computing - A Quantum Middle Man
- AMVA4NewPhysics Logo
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- Radiation Detectors Click By Design
- Patients With Recurrent Depression Have Smaller Hippocampi
- Phase IIb Pivotal Clinical Study Of P2B001 For The Treatment Of Early Stage Parkinson's Disease
- "Apologizing for a hiatus due to vacations, I am posting today.... Yes Tommaso, how dare you allow..."
- "Tommaso, I understand the message, and I 100% agree that more women in science is always better..."
- "Thanks for your thoughtful comments, Herne.And sharing your story, which has a lot of wrinkles..."
- "I think it's awesome that you kicked it three times and I do hope it stays off.I do think individuals..."
- "Hi Martin,I don't know if women appreciate pink, but it is indeed a stereotype - so a means for..."