What would you say if you had been in a vegetative state for 12 years?
39-year-old Scott Routley has been able to communicate to doctors that he is not in any pain, marking the first time an uncommunicative, severely brain-damaged patient has been able to give direct answers regarding their care and treatment.
The communication was done with doctors who are monitoring his brain activity through Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) scans.
Traditional tests have continued to indicate that Routley is in a vegetative state, with no relevant brain activity. Owen and other doctors say this means medical text books will literally need to be re-written when it comes to evaluating patients suffering from severe brain injuries.
Vegetative man tells doctors ‘I’m not in pain’ via MRI communication - Yahoo News, BBC
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Pseudoscience Creeping Into Your Conference? A Case In GMOs And Glyphosate
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Are Dark Matter Scientists About To Prove Its Existence?
- Beyond Diamonds And Gems: The World's Rarest Minerals
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- The power of GW150914
- "It's to be remembered that the Irish had small kingdoms in Wales and Cornwall as well as Scotland..."
- "Thank you for this comment.Raymond Poincaré (1860-1934) was the first cousin of Henri Poincaré..."
- "I like the argument on how evolving the entertainment technology are, the human being still enjoy..."
- "The power flux (power per unit area) of plane gravitational waves can be derived from Einstein's..."
- "Thanks for your helpful remark. I would appreciate a specific answer to my question,relating to..."
- Fluorine: The Element From Hell.
- Beard Microbiology: Grubby Hipsters May Be On To Something
- Water Tops the List of Health Concerns for Competitive Eaters
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- Stan Riddell, Fred Hutch cancer immunotherapy innovator, to present at AAAS Annual Meeting
- Progress in fighting cancer and infections with T cell therapy
- Detective scientists discover ancient clues in mummy portraits
- Educator challenges AAAS to join the search for Next Einstein
- UK science leads the way in nuclear research