What a strange condition to be visited by your perfect double, your doppelganger. Dr. Oliver Sacks, in his new book on hallucinations, calls these episodes "autoscopic doubles," and he cites a number of cases from medical history.
Luckily, autoscopic doubles obey certain rules. "The autoscopic double is literally a mirror image of oneself, with right transposed to left and vice versa, mirroring one's positions and actions," says Sacks.
So when Linnaeus hallucinated and a second, phantom Carl Linnaeus would appear, like when he was in his garden, checking out a plant or plucking a flower, and he could see, at a respectful distance, the Other Carl stooping and plucking the same way at the same time, Linnaeus didn't fear his phantom; in fact he got used to it.
When You're Visited By A Copy Of Yourself, Stay Calm by Charles Michelet and Robert Krulwich, NPR
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Determining Prostate Cancer Risk With A DNA Methylation Biomarker
- Are Marijuana Warning Labels Needed? Users Say Yes
- "More info on Arctic warming -..."
- "That article is worrying reading. One way that religions expand is by encouraging high childbirth..."
- "Summary It is a good one actually to show why a large star or brown dwarf like Nibiru can’t..."
- "Yes she may well believe what she says. But it is easy to find patterns - it is a very enigmatic..."
- "So it would turn out that nibiru is real then after all there has been a leaked video from nasa..."
- A Very Cool Way To Treat Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- It’s not brain surgery, but do you know what is? Brain Surgery!
- Four New Superheavy Elements Have Official Names
- Dear UN Convention on Biological Diversity, Don't Drive 'Gene Drives' Into a Ditch
- No Surprise: Parents' Screen Times Worse Than Kids
- Genetically Engineered Yeast Is Resistant to Caffeine