What a strange condition to be visited by your perfect double, your doppelganger. Dr. Oliver Sacks, in his new book on hallucinations, calls these episodes "autoscopic doubles," and he cites a number of cases from medical history.
Luckily, autoscopic doubles obey certain rules. "The autoscopic double is literally a mirror image of oneself, with right transposed to left and vice versa, mirroring one's positions and actions," says Sacks.
So when Linnaeus hallucinated and a second, phantom Carl Linnaeus would appear, like when he was in his garden, checking out a plant or plucking a flower, and he could see, at a respectful distance, the Other Carl stooping and plucking the same way at the same time, Linnaeus didn't fear his phantom; in fact he got used to it.
When You're Visited By A Copy Of Yourself, Stay Calm by Charles Michelet and Robert Krulwich, NPR
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To The Solar System - Open Ended Exploration With Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Mindfulness Is Not A Waste Of Time
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Arctic Ocean Methane Does Not Reach The Atmosphere
- Voluntary Birth Control To Stop Climate Change - Or Else
- Italian Food Scientists Are Tired Of Phony Cheese
- "this must be mystery, Cat Mystery. lol..."
- "Vampire are not real, and can never be. This stuff is limited to movies only...."
- "Milk is so tasty. Soy, Oy! CO2 is fertilizer for plants. We need more of it. Meat is tasty too..."
- "Both the Pacific Salmon Forum and the Cohen Commission agree there is scant evidence farming salmon..."
- "If interested in an electromagnetic model of the photon structure and its absorption process, as..."
- The Name Game: How Unethical Environmental Groups and Toxic Fanatics Scare You With Words
- Naturopathy: A Pre-holiday Rant
- Misdiagnosis of Dehydration in Older Folks
- The Amazing Things Poo Can Tell Us About Health
- This Dinner Plate Sucks—Literally
- Gwynn’s Appeal to Jury Could Overshadow Medical Science
- New meta-analysis shows ketamine effective against persistent post-surgical pain and could provide major cost-savings globally
- Refusing access to surgery recovery area at a UK hospital unless WHO Safe Surgery Checklist is fully complete
- Investment in energy storage vital if renewables to achieve full potential
- The Lancet Oncology: Teenagers and young adults still fare worse than children for many common cancers, according to Europe-wide
- Coping with active surveillance anxiety in prostate cancer