What a strange condition to be visited by your perfect double, your doppelganger. Dr. Oliver Sacks, in his new book on hallucinations, calls these episodes "autoscopic doubles," and he cites a number of cases from medical history.
Luckily, autoscopic doubles obey certain rules. "The autoscopic double is literally a mirror image of oneself, with right transposed to left and vice versa, mirroring one's positions and actions," says Sacks.
So when Linnaeus hallucinated and a second, phantom Carl Linnaeus would appear, like when he was in his garden, checking out a plant or plucking a flower, and he could see, at a respectful distance, the Other Carl stooping and plucking the same way at the same time, Linnaeus didn't fear his phantom; in fact he got used to it.
When You're Visited By A Copy Of Yourself, Stay Calm by Charles Michelet and Robert Krulwich, NPR
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- An Astronaut Gardener On The Moon - Summits Of Sunlight And Vast Lunar Caves In Low Gravity
- "Nothing new here...."
- "Tellingly it's been removed from it's original source. ..."
- "Unlike men, women don't seem to be able to do much without support. As for the equality gap, that's..."
- "Hi Dan!Thanks, glad you like it. I'm in the UK so I know what you mean about tensions between the..."
- "Oh if it was real, astronomers would have been tracking it for several decades. It would have been..."
- Is Modern Feminism Incompatible with Science?
- When All Else Fails, Bribing Kids to Eat Better
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: 'IN UTERO' in Hollywood Q&A
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Dr. Halford Answers 'the Big Question'
- The media is not helping in the battle against SIDS
- Busted Breast Cancer Myths