Hate the captcha that Science 2.0 uses when you want to leave a comment? So do we.
But spammers make money spamming and there is no money at all in preventing it, so many media companies are a lot more annoying than us. They make you create a proprietary account just to leave a comment, some allow third party general tools, like Disqus or Facebook. We don't want anonymous people here so we are stuck with captcha.
Maybe not for long. The minteye startup has created a “no-type solution” which utilizes a slider that tasks users to straighten out a contorted image.
Link: The Next Web
Will it work? Maybe, but probably not. The reason is because a whole lot of spam we get is not automated. Crazy, right? Yes, but in Russia and China some poor little kid is being paid a penny every time they manually bypass captcha. I can see everything that happens on this site and it is not automated spam. Minteye is impossible to bypass for a computer but even easier than captcha for a person.
The part I think is clever for the company is that the image you have to solve with the slider is an ad. We've raised an entire generation of Internet users on the notion that they are entitled to free everything, but those days are quickly coming to an end. So this is a rather elegant way to keep the lights on for a company.
But they have a technical hurdle to overcome. Adblock tools seem to cause it to not work at all.
Minteye wants to put an end to the CAPTCHA as we know it - The Next Web
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- IPhone Lab Detects Cancer, May Lead To Instant Diagnosis
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- Physics Outreach With Music
- Nitrate-Reducing Microbes Linked To Migraine Headaches
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- Soil Moisture Could Help Predict 'Flash Droughts'
- "Oh, sounds as if you meant to post to my article: Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos..."
- "Ok im going to reason with you hear the reason i ask is because i have trust issues and on this..."
- "Astronomers don't say it's real. The Nibiru people cite articles that are talking about different..."
- " They continue spreading this lie of the magnetic polar flip and jesus return and they won´t stop..."
- "I just dont get how so many say its real including astronomers yet so little saying its not nobody..."