Hate the captcha that Science 2.0 uses when you want to leave a comment? So do we.
But spammers make money spamming and there is no money at all in preventing it, so many media companies are a lot more annoying than us. They make you create a proprietary account just to leave a comment, some allow third party general tools, like Disqus or Facebook. We don't want anonymous people here so we are stuck with captcha.
Maybe not for long. The minteye startup has created a “no-type solution” which utilizes a slider that tasks users to straighten out a contorted image.
Link: The Next Web
Will it work? Maybe, but probably not. The reason is because a whole lot of spam we get is not automated. Crazy, right? Yes, but in Russia and China some poor little kid is being paid a penny every time they manually bypass captcha. I can see everything that happens on this site and it is not automated spam. Minteye is impossible to bypass for a computer but even easier than captcha for a person.
The part I think is clever for the company is that the image you have to solve with the slider is an ad. We've raised an entire generation of Internet users on the notion that they are entitled to free everything, but those days are quickly coming to an end. So this is a rather elegant way to keep the lights on for a company.
But they have a technical hurdle to overcome. Adblock tools seem to cause it to not work at all.
Minteye wants to put an end to the CAPTCHA as we know it - The Next Web
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Getting Married
- The Three Cubes Problem
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- Eugene Cernan, Hometown Astronaut of Bellwood Illinois dead at 82.
- Debunked: World To End After Two Snowy Days In Salento, Puglia, Southern Italy, Tears On Macedonia Icon
- Electromagnetic Mayhem
- Biomarkers Predict How Well People Age
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- Stink Bugs Add the Flavor of Cilantro to Red Wine
- When Mating, an Insect That Makes Rational Choices
- If You Think Fentanyl Is Bad...
- Let's Learn a Lesson from Theranos
- Guardians of Truth: Mike Huckabee Lauds Us, We Ruin Things for RFK Jr., And More Media Links
- Massachusetts Becomes the 20th State Where Naturopaths Can Hurt You