Organic food is a $29 billion industry, clearly Big Ag, but they have managed to convince believers that they are small farms that use no pesticides and are nutritionally, structurally and morally better for humanity.
But the glow has been fading. Framing organic food ethically now creates a backlash, according to surveys by Cornell University and the University of Michigan, which asked 371 test persons about their perceptions of food products with and without an organic label.
Even among consumers who expressed a high interest in environmental issues, the impact of ethical framing was dependent on personal values and the product. Just slapping an organic label on things doesn't work any more.
Organic marketers will claim that organic food tastes better for example, but the surveys showed the perception was otherwise; people believed organic food would be less tasty and yet more nutritional. And that perception of taste quality dropped as concern about organic food did. So much for the 'halo effect' marketers have enjoyed.
Citation: Jonathon P. Schuldt, Mary Hannahan, 'When good deeds leave a bad taste: Negative inferences from ethical food claims', Appetite, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2012.11.004
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Bitcoin And Anonymity: User's Identity Can Be Revealed Much Easier Than Thought
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Volunteer-Based Peer Review: A Success
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- Not Neonics: Parasites Are Bad For Honey Bees
- Diversity Fatigue: Why Businesses Struggle To Close The Gender Gap
- "French and American studies indicate that traces of neonicotinoids make bees more susceptible to..."
- "Hi Vladimir,thanks - I was unaware of that. Looks like a very good idea!Cheers,T...."
- "Answer: yes. Read the papers...."
- "Tommaso, there is a Review section here http://www.physicsoverflow.org/activity/refereeingI do..."
- "im sorry but this article is junk. i have worked in land care and environment for over 20 years..."