Organic food is a $29 billion industry, clearly Big Ag, but they have managed to convince believers that they are small farms that use no pesticides and are nutritionally, structurally and morally better for humanity.
But the glow has been fading. Framing organic food ethically now creates a backlash, according to surveys by Cornell University and the University of Michigan, which asked 371 test persons about their perceptions of food products with and without an organic label.
Even among consumers who expressed a high interest in environmental issues, the impact of ethical framing was dependent on personal values and the product. Just slapping an organic label on things doesn't work any more.
Organic marketers will claim that organic food tastes better for example, but the surveys showed the perception was otherwise; people believed organic food would be less tasty and yet more nutritional. And that perception of taste quality dropped as concern about organic food did. So much for the 'halo effect' marketers have enjoyed.
Citation: Jonathon P. Schuldt, Mary Hannahan, 'When good deeds leave a bad taste: Negative inferences from ethical food claims', Appetite, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2012.11.004
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wind Turbine Or Tree? Bats Can't Tell
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Epigenetics Of Being Without Electricity For A Few Days
- Science Graduates Are Not Good At Math – But Why?
- Depression Surveys Linked To Unnecessary Antidepressant Prescriptions
- The Glaciers Of Mars
- "Thank you for your answer!There's indeed a threshold at about 350 MeV, with a decrease afterwards..."
- "I also infer your existence from the nice picture on the right and the fact that you seem to have..."
- "Thanks for the correction!No, the top-antitop system is usually coloured as a whole too, as it..."
- "Hi Sebastien,the top pair production cross section is mostly a threshold production process (with..."
- "John you are almost invariably a negative nelly when responding on various blogs. Surprise us sometime..."
- Study shows how chimpanzees share skills
- Boys and girls who've had a traumatic brain injury differ in rates of harmful behavior
- Depression increasing across the country
- Disease decoded: Gene mutation may lead to development of new cancer drugs
- New guidelines for treatment of hypothyroidism endorse current therapy