Organic food is a $29 billion industry, clearly Big Ag, but they have managed to convince believers that they are small farms that use no pesticides and are nutritionally, structurally and morally better for humanity.
But the glow has been fading. Framing organic food ethically now creates a backlash, according to surveys by Cornell University and the University of Michigan, which asked 371 test persons about their perceptions of food products with and without an organic label.
Even among consumers who expressed a high interest in environmental issues, the impact of ethical framing was dependent on personal values and the product. Just slapping an organic label on things doesn't work any more.
Organic marketers will claim that organic food tastes better for example, but the surveys showed the perception was otherwise; people believed organic food would be less tasty and yet more nutritional. And that perception of taste quality dropped as concern about organic food did. So much for the 'halo effect' marketers have enjoyed.
Citation: Jonathon P. Schuldt, Mary Hannahan, 'When good deeds leave a bad taste: Negative inferences from ethical food claims', Appetite, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2012.11.004
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- What Does Your Gut Microbiome Have To Do With Your Immune System?
- What Antidepressants Do To Healthy People
- Do Anesthetics Have Long-Term Impact On Child Brains?
- Rats Know How To Repay Kindness
- Buy New Textbooks Again? Pluto May Go Back To Planet Status
- CRISPR: Bacterial Viral Defense Targets Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- Not Just Vitamin D - The Radiation In Sunshine May Be Healthy
- "I was particularly taken with the Venera missions, sending probes into such a hostile environment..."
- "Maybe the Russian Revolution isn't such a good example. The Bolsheviks had something even more..."
- "As to self-incrimination, people cannot invoke the Fifth Amendment now to withhold certain purely..."
- "Face it, news in America took a death blow with the 2002-2003 war media love fest, The layman can't..."
- "Some interesting research out of Sweden noted that the composition of the microbiome greatly affects..."