Organic food is a $29 billion industry, clearly Big Ag, but they have managed to convince believers that they are small farms that use no pesticides and are nutritionally, structurally and morally better for humanity.
But the glow has been fading. Framing organic food ethically now creates a backlash, according to surveys by Cornell University and the University of Michigan, which asked 371 test persons about their perceptions of food products with and without an organic label.
Even among consumers who expressed a high interest in environmental issues, the impact of ethical framing was dependent on personal values and the product. Just slapping an organic label on things doesn't work any more.
Organic marketers will claim that organic food tastes better for example, but the surveys showed the perception was otherwise; people believed organic food would be less tasty and yet more nutritional. And that perception of taste quality dropped as concern about organic food did. So much for the 'halo effect' marketers have enjoyed.
Citation: Jonathon P. Schuldt, Mary Hannahan, 'When good deeds leave a bad taste: Negative inferences from ethical food claims', Appetite, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2012.11.004
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- NRDC Says Your Xbox Is Causing Global Warming - But It Isn't
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- New Autism-causing Genetic Variant Identified
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Spring Flukes: New 3-Sigma Signals From LHCb And ATLAS
- "Thanks for the post to let us know more about herpes...."
- " Fermi's Paradox seems to be assuming advanced civilizations would be biologic lifeforms instead..."
- "Ginger ale may be as close to salty as I can go...."
- "Hi Hank - lots of good comments - some I agree with - others not so much, LOL. The old saying of..."
- "It is a science site, which is why absolutely no one reading here agrees with your conclusion ..."