Organic food is a $29 billion industry, clearly Big Ag, but they have managed to convince believers that they are small farms that use no pesticides and are nutritionally, structurally and morally better for humanity.
But the glow has been fading. Framing organic food ethically now creates a backlash, according to surveys by Cornell University and the University of Michigan, which asked 371 test persons about their perceptions of food products with and without an organic label.
Even among consumers who expressed a high interest in environmental issues, the impact of ethical framing was dependent on personal values and the product. Just slapping an organic label on things doesn't work any more.
Organic marketers will claim that organic food tastes better for example, but the surveys showed the perception was otherwise; people believed organic food would be less tasty and yet more nutritional. And that perception of taste quality dropped as concern about organic food did. So much for the 'halo effect' marketers have enjoyed.
Citation: Jonathon P. Schuldt, Mary Hannahan, 'When good deeds leave a bad taste: Negative inferences from ethical food claims', Appetite, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2012.11.004
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- NO End Of World Today! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- I am Sorry Retractions and First Ever Book Recommendation
- In France, There Is STEM Bias Too - Against Men
- This House Is Crap
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "Is 1950 DA bigger than chicxclub meteor sorry that I butchered the word ..."
- "I don't think iran wants nuclear weapons.and they are signatories of NPT.if they desire nuclear..."
- "hello mark! if you mean Ms. Wilhemina Pelegrina, I really like her name. very beautiful name. I..."
- "Not sure how we switched from discussing no-existent Golden Rice to inherently unsafe Nuclear Power..."
- "Great glad I helped to calm you down :). Okay, it's a matter of probabilities, you can't say that..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes