In 1999, a Swedish medical student brought ancient wizardry and horror fiction to life - despite being dead for three hours, Anna Bagenholm was revived and has made a nearly full recovery.
It sounds cooler than D&D. Well, science often is - and what was happening in her body on a cellular level during the hours she went without a heartbeat, and what we can learn about how long it takes cells to die, may allow science to really push the boundaries of what it means to be dead.
As Miracle Max said in "The Princess Bride", there might be a difference between dead and mostly dead.
If your cells hunker down in their outer membrane long enough for you to be "reanimated", then you will be - but the most vulnerable cells are those ones in the brain, which could be another mystery for science to pursue.
Read a terrifically fun piece, Is It Possible to Reanimate the Dead?, by Eli MacKinnon on LiveScience.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Journalists Be Aware - Your Unverified "Doomsday" News Terrifies Children And Vulnerable People
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the ass today.
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- Michael Pollan Doesn't Just Hate Agriculture, He Hates All Scientists
- Plastic: There's Value In Marine Waste
- "NIBIRU HERE NIBIRU THERE NIBIRU BEING SPOTTED EVERYWHERE now tell me im wrong in fact i will go..."
- "Ok so what about the JESSE VENTURE person you ever heard of him like i said its called conspiracy..."
- "Hallelujah, HEP is saved!..."
- "Yes, some of them Nancy Lieder doesn't have a clue about astronomy, she claims the most absurd..."
- "Any of these names mean anything to you Zechariah stitchin,nancy lieder,gill boussard,steve olsen..."
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?
- Scientists Should Fight Postmodern Public Values
- Stupid Health Scare For Hep C Drugs