In 1999, a Swedish medical student brought ancient wizardry and horror fiction to life - despite being dead for three hours, Anna Bagenholm was revived and has made a nearly full recovery.
It sounds cooler than D&D. Well, science often is - and what was happening in her body on a cellular level during the hours she went without a heartbeat, and what we can learn about how long it takes cells to die, may allow science to really push the boundaries of what it means to be dead.
As Miracle Max said in "The Princess Bride", there might be a difference between dead and mostly dead.
If your cells hunker down in their outer membrane long enough for you to be "reanimated", then you will be - but the most vulnerable cells are those ones in the brain, which could be another mystery for science to pursue.
Read a terrifically fun piece, Is It Possible to Reanimate the Dead?, by Eli MacKinnon on LiveScience.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- President Elect Trump - Why Climate Change Is No Longer A Political Issue Outside The US
- Australopithecus Afarensis: ‘Lucy’ Was A Tree Climber?
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- Vector Boson Scattering: ATLAS Tests SM Unitarity
- "http://www.snopes.com/photos/supernatural/strangesounds.asp#! People have been 'hearing' things..."
- "About the article on theLADbible, the author have an overall sarcastic tone. For example, he calls..."
- "What about these new trumpet sounds that everyone is hearing?..."
- "There is nothing to worry about. It is all complete nonsense and BS. An astronomer would just LOL..."
- "So there really is nothing to worry about then i don't want to be told there isn't if there is..."
- Annoying Studies’ Series: Newborn Weight Gain (Again!)
- Five PM? Time for Breakfast!
- Include Aerobic Fitness in Physical Exams, Heart Association Recommends
- Female Vervet Monkeys Assault Males that Do Not Participate in Fights
- Vaginal Ring Effective for HIV Infection Prevention
- Winter is No Wonderland