New York environmental activists, including those employed by the state of New York, said Indian Point nuclear power plant should close for 42 days this summer to protect fish.
Since New York is already concerned about brownouts and blackouts, closing a reliable source of clean energy is one of the stranger environmental plans this year.
Nuclear plants recycle water, of course, and environmentalists are worried fish will die in warm water. Engineers proposed putting up screens to keep fish away but that made too much sense for the Department of Environmental Conservation, which thinks overpaying for fracking-derived energy from neighboring Pennsylvania at high spot market prices is better for its citizens when they run out of electricity.
Activists were, as expected, a little unhinged. Sunny Amrer of Croton-on-Hudson, a member of the Raging Grannies organization, brought a fish hand puppet, for which she provided the voice, in a song that went, in part: "Bring us solar, bring us hydro, bring us wind. Bring us energy from sources that won't end. Because we could trust uranium, we'd need holes in our cranium. We haven't yet gone that far round the bend."
Proposal to shut Indian Point in summer sparks protest by Ken Valenti, lohud.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A 3 TeV Dielectron Event By CMS !
- When It Comes To Tobacco Beliefs, What You Don't Know Can Kill You Sooner
- Neuron Responsible For Alcoholism Found
- Science: Public/Private Partnership Under Attack
- Copters, Drones - Location Data Is Changing The World
- Bel's Temple in Palmyra Is No More
- Is Failure To Reproduce Psychology Papers A Sign They Are Invalid?
- "Thank you for this comment. Precisely, one of my research subjects is pre-Big Bang cosmologies..."
- "The Amazon caffeine link is to Creatine, which is a completely different supplement. ..."
- "That certainly looks interesting. I'll look forward to seeing how this develops. :-)..."
- "I'd love to even know what an industry front group is - the rest of the world calls them scientists..."
- "I’ve just read this present article, a day or two after reading Bel's Temple In Palmyra Is No..."
- DC’s Needle Exchange: Infections Down, Savings Up
- Are You An Old Soul? You May Just Have An Old Heart
- Prescribing Caution with Precautionary Principle
- FDA’s Welcome Action: Caffeine Is a Drug
- Over Bt Spraying, Anti-GMO Folks Undone by Own Argument
- E-Cigarettes Are Safer Than Smoking – But Aldehydes Need To Go