New York environmental activists, including those employed by the state of New York, said Indian Point nuclear power plant should close for 42 days this summer to protect fish.
Since New York is already concerned about brownouts and blackouts, closing a reliable source of clean energy is one of the stranger environmental plans this year.
Nuclear plants recycle water, of course, and environmentalists are worried fish will die in warm water. Engineers proposed putting up screens to keep fish away but that made too much sense for the Department of Environmental Conservation, which thinks overpaying for fracking-derived energy from neighboring Pennsylvania at high spot market prices is better for its citizens when they run out of electricity.
Activists were, as expected, a little unhinged. Sunny Amrer of Croton-on-Hudson, a member of the Raging Grannies organization, brought a fish hand puppet, for which she provided the voice, in a song that went, in part: "Bring us solar, bring us hydro, bring us wind. Bring us energy from sources that won't end. Because we could trust uranium, we'd need holes in our cranium. We haven't yet gone that far round the bend."
Proposal to shut Indian Point in summer sparks protest by Ken Valenti, lohud.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Cruithne: Earth's Other 'Moon' Could Reveal Mysteries Of The Solar System
- Big Data Tackles How Urban Movement Is Linked To Social Activity
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- What Does Your Gut Microbiome Have To Do With Your Immune System?
- Creepy IBM AI toy coming for Christmas—the Continuum paradox. Eerie IBM video link below.
- CRISPR: Bacterial Viral Defense Targets Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy
- What Antidepressants Do To Healthy People
- "I am not in a position to doubt one center's results nor is this the place to make comparisons..."
- "I was particularly taken with the Venera missions, sending probes into such a hostile environment..."
- "Maybe the Russian Revolution isn't such a good example. The Bolsheviks had something even more..."
- "As to self-incrimination, people cannot invoke the Fifth Amendment now to withhold certain purely..."
- "Face it, news in America took a death blow with the 2002-2003 war media love fest, The layman can't..."
- Experts warn of stem cell underuse as transplants reach 1 million worldwide
- Feast or famine diet could extend longevity
- Interaction of Atlantic and Pacific oscillations caused 'false pause' in warming
- Embrace unknowns, opt for flexibility in environmental policies
- Newly discovered algal species helps corals survive in the hottest reefs on the planet