New York environmental activists, including those employed by the state of New York, said Indian Point nuclear power plant should close for 42 days this summer to protect fish.
Since New York is already concerned about brownouts and blackouts, closing a reliable source of clean energy is one of the stranger environmental plans this year.
Nuclear plants recycle water, of course, and environmentalists are worried fish will die in warm water. Engineers proposed putting up screens to keep fish away but that made too much sense for the Department of Environmental Conservation, which thinks overpaying for fracking-derived energy from neighboring Pennsylvania at high spot market prices is better for its citizens when they run out of electricity.
Activists were, as expected, a little unhinged. Sunny Amrer of Croton-on-Hudson, a member of the Raging Grannies organization, brought a fish hand puppet, for which she provided the voice, in a song that went, in part: "Bring us solar, bring us hydro, bring us wind. Bring us energy from sources that won't end. Because we could trust uranium, we'd need holes in our cranium. We haven't yet gone that far round the bend."
Proposal to shut Indian Point in summer sparks protest by Ken Valenti, lohud.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Smoking, Drinking And Eating: It's Not About Your Freedom
- Big Data Engineering - Now With More Neuroscience
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Coffee Lowers Risk Of Alzheimer's Up To 20 Percent
- Like Collaboration And Intelligence In Humans? Thank War
- Science Enters The Brown Versus White Bread Battle
- "Liz, See my reply below for a brief listing of why Steve there is not more than a troll.  ..."
- "Your review was nothing more than a hit and run hurl of an insult. Which would have remained..."
- "Steve, just to respond to your last point. There are two resources that do just what you suggest..."
- "many will say - oh g-o-d, not that again - does not change the fact that social engineering via..."
- "No intelligent person believes tobacco controls' santimonious twaddle anymore. This is the purvey..."
- A billion holes can make a battery
- Behavioral interventions to prevent progression to diabetes equally effective in men and women
- Gender differences in adaptation to space flight
- Long-term complication rate low in nose job using patient's own rib cartilage
- Survival differences seen for advanced-stage laryngeal cancer