New York environmental activists, including those employed by the state of New York, said Indian Point nuclear power plant should close for 42 days this summer to protect fish.
Since New York is already concerned about brownouts and blackouts, closing a reliable source of clean energy is one of the stranger environmental plans this year.
Nuclear plants recycle water, of course, and environmentalists are worried fish will die in warm water. Engineers proposed putting up screens to keep fish away but that made too much sense for the Department of Environmental Conservation, which thinks overpaying for fracking-derived energy from neighboring Pennsylvania at high spot market prices is better for its citizens when they run out of electricity.
Activists were, as expected, a little unhinged. Sunny Amrer of Croton-on-Hudson, a member of the Raging Grannies organization, brought a fish hand puppet, for which she provided the voice, in a song that went, in part: "Bring us solar, bring us hydro, bring us wind. Bring us energy from sources that won't end. Because we could trust uranium, we'd need holes in our cranium. We haven't yet gone that far round the bend."
Proposal to shut Indian Point in summer sparks protest by Ken Valenti, lohud.com
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- New GHOST Technology Leaps Out Of The Screen
- True Weight Loss Is Rare
- New Mars Colony Mission Crowdfunds its Way to the Red Planet
- Genetic Testing In Kids - The Science Isn't Complicated But The Psychology Is
- Dementia Sufferers Benefit From GPS
- Milk-Based Paint Of 47,000 B.C.
- Radiation Detectors Click By Design
- "not an oops, an actual mistake: get to choose an overall scaling I didn't think that through. That..."
- "oops... I meant The image of the mapping f(q) = q q*, is isomorphic to the non-negative reals...."
- "That is one very busy logo. A logo is just a shorthand symbol. It doesn't need to tell an entire..."
- "This article acts like people don't have free will. If you happen to make enough money to be able..."
- "Quick side comment: tuple appears in the introductory paragraph of the coordinate system page on..."
- What bee-killing mites can teach us about parasite evolution
- Autism - measured in a sniff
- Opera is deadly - but The Tarantino influence in modern opera is killing it
- Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis shows encouraging trial results
- Prion trials and tribulations: Finding the right tools and experimental models
Books By Writers Here