Everyone has heard of the politicization of science - that is when various government agencies seek to insure that science is guided by the whims of the current administration. Obama does it, Bush did it (both 43 and 41) Clinton did it, Reagan did it - every president in the post-World War II era has done it, that was the whole reason to take over basic and applied research from the private sector. The atomic bomb showed what science could do when properly guided by political motivations. It's nothing new.
The evil twin of politicization of science is the scientization of politics - that is coming up with a science-y sounding reason to frame a political decision as anything but political. And there is no greater example of the scientization of politics than the ugly story of Yucca Mountain. Yucca Mountain, despite decades of study by thousands of scientists, was torpedoed by Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, who happens to be a key supporter of President Barack Obama. It was a partisan hijacking, plain and simple, and has set back the fight against global warming by decades.
In case you thought that science might be 'restored to its rightful place' by the departure of former Congressional aide and current talking hand puppet Gregory Jaczko from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, think again - Obama has named as his successor the person who framed the entire scientization of politics decision for Reid; Allison Macfarlane, from George Mason University.
The score on this appointment: Politics:1 - Science:0
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Case For Moon: Gateway For Open Ended Exploration, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Why We Get Tired When We Stay Up Too Late
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- When It Comes To Replicating Psychology Studies, Good Luck
- We’re Not In Europe Any More: BfR Statement On EDCs Embraces The Risk-Based Approach
- Prescaled Jet Triggers: The Rationale Of Randomly Picking Events
- "Okay, that may be true, but we never hear from them. Instead we hear from Environmental Working..."
- "You lost me at: Environmental groups, who ordinarily love centralized government and social authoritarian..."
- "Mi Cro, I happened upon your global temperature charts recently, and want to be sure I understand..."
- "You make good points. I thank you for them. I am enjoying reading your work. I agree that asteroid..."
- "Oh, okay, glad you aren't worried about little asteroids. Yes I agree, I haven't come across that..."
- Ketamine Better than Haloperidol for Sedation Onset But Not Much Else
- TIps & Tricks To Ward Off Ticks
- What is CRISPR-Cas9 and why do we need to know about it?
- Pancreatic Cancer: Surgery Improves Survival in One-third
- Intervention Decreases Adolescents’ Obesity
- What Organic and Chemical Actually Mean: A Glossary of Hijacked Terms
- Science instruments of NASA's James Webb Space Telescope successfully installed
- Tiny wasp sniffs out, picks up 'good vibrations' to battle ash borer
- Abundance inequality in freshwater communities has an ecological origin
- Family size and education levels: The right support could reverse long-held theory
- New water-quality data on impact of corn, soybeans on nitrate in Iowa streams