Everyone has heard of the politicization of science - that is when various government agencies seek to insure that science is guided by the whims of the current administration. Obama does it, Bush did it (both 43 and 41) Clinton did it, Reagan did it - every president in the post-World War II era has done it, that was the whole reason to take over basic and applied research from the private sector. The atomic bomb showed what science could do when properly guided by political motivations. It's nothing new.
The evil twin of politicization of science is the scientization of politics - that is coming up with a science-y sounding reason to frame a political decision as anything but political. And there is no greater example of the scientization of politics than the ugly story of Yucca Mountain. Yucca Mountain, despite decades of study by thousands of scientists, was torpedoed by Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, who happens to be a key supporter of President Barack Obama. It was a partisan hijacking, plain and simple, and has set back the fight against global warming by decades.
In case you thought that science might be 'restored to its rightful place' by the departure of former Congressional aide and current talking hand puppet Gregory Jaczko from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, think again - Obama has named as his successor the person who framed the entire scientization of politics decision for Reid; Allison Macfarlane, from George Mason University.
The score on this appointment: Politics:1 - Science:0
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Microwave Electron Guns: A Field-Emission Plug-And-Play Solution
- Ancient Buried Canyon In South Tibet Rules Out Tectonic Aneurysm
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- In A Snowstorm, Do You Want Salt Or Vegetable Juice On Your Road?
- Extraordinary Claims: Review My Paper For $10
- "It's not just the city of Seattle. The state Dept of Ecoterrorism finds excuses to slaughter the..."
- "Possibly not so far fetched; Humans seem to prefer funding space exploration on nationalistic rather..."
- "With a MacBook less. Good thing aliens had also spontaneously developed HyperTalk or Taligent or..."
- "That's probably just your American Exceptionalism Privilege talking. Other countries are less imperialistic..."
- "Thanks for reading and offering some generally thoughtful comments, which are often absent in controversial..."
- Clipping proteins that package genes may limit abnormal cell growth in tumors
- Investigational drug reduces high potassium levels in chronic kidney disease patients
- Study: Doubling saturated fat in the diet does not increase saturated fat in blood
- Women with serious mental illness less likely to receive cancer screenings
- Only half of patients take their medications as prescribed