The anti-Occupy Wall Street movement, styling themselves Occupy Occupy D.C., held a rally today at Freedom Plaza to call for a “Cease Fire in Obama's War on Nature.” They came out today to protest “the Obama Administration's new policy to kill the barred owl in deference to the spotted owl in the Pacific Northwest.”
If that makes no sense, welcome to politics. If you've never witnessed taxpayer money being spent on lawyers to get around the federal Wilderness Act law in order to comply with the federal Endangered Species Act, you have not been around for long.
The latest goofiness is because of the Obama administration's plans to start shooting barred owls to protect the northern spotted owl - the pesky bird that killed logging in the Pacific Northwest two decades ago and led to massive wildfires while government lawyers spent taxpayer money in court against other government lawyers over the right to clear brush and dead trees.
"Obama has picked winners and losers when it comes to bailouts, handouts and where we can get our energy. Now he's playing God by favoring one animal over another. What arrogance," said
the director of the Occupy Occupy D.C. movement, David Almasi.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Out Of Africa: What They Do Not Tell Us
- Pubic Hair Grooming Common Among Some US Women
- Brain Cancer: Why Glioblastoma Is So Difficult To Treat
- Little To No Association Between Butter Consumption And Chronic Disease Or Total Mortality
- Thinking 'I Can Do Better' Really Can Improve Performance, Study Finds
- " Media Silent as Concealed Carrier Stops Mass Shooting in Progress at a South Carolina Nightclub..."
- "Thank you for your support - but since the comment you refer to was advocating the shutting down..."
- "Instead of ND, substitute DD, and you have a whole other basket of charlatans - and that comment..."
- " Some parts from my second response to Nina Teicholz article ( http://www.bmj.com/content/351/bmj..."
- "Science researchers did the CARET study, to see if vitamin A could chemo-prevent lung cancer (it..."
- Study finds that plant growth responses to high carbon dioxide depend on symbiotic fungi
- Telomere length is indicator of blood count recovery in treatment of Acute Myeloid Leukemia
- Natural metabolite can suppress inflammation
- New technology helps ID aggressive early breast cancer
- US needs greater preparation for next severe public health threats, panel finds