Psychiatrist Dr. Eric Hollander says the hygiene hypothesis - the idea that by eliminating some harmful organisms we are weakening our immune systems - may be a reason to study the use of ingesting the eggs of parasitic worms to treat autism.
He gets to jump on a few hot button cultural topics that way, autism and a medical idea that has caught on with the usual anti-science hippies and the more normal crowd who got sold the idea that anti-bacterial soaps were necessary if they care about kids.
The kicker is that the psychiatrist got the idea when he noticed one of his patients’ behavior improve while self-medicating with Trichuris suis ova (TSO), the eggs of a whipworm. That passes for a journal paper in the social sciences.
Hollander, a clinical professor of psychiatry at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and director of Autism and Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum Program at Montefiore Medical Center, is leading a trial that will see if TSO can treat the symptoms of autism.
TSO therapy is not legal in the USA but other self-medicating people can purchase it online or get it by traveling to another country - or enroll in Hollander's trial.
Study looks at worm therapy to treat autism By Jessica Ryen Doyle, FOX News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Bitcoin And Anonymity: User's Identity Can Be Revealed Much Easier Than Thought
- Is The Micropower Revolution Here?
- Not Neonics: Parasites Are Bad For Honey Bees
- Chronic Pain Isn't All In The Brain
- On integrating out short-distance physics
- "I have always thought that that formulas like (1) are not clear . If G(u) is a primitive of f(u)..."
- "I am indeed checking with vanEnglesdorp even though the matter seems quite clear cut to me: showing..."
- "Hi, the comics linked below seems to deal with a similar stuff. http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=3554#comi..."
- "they don't see how it damages the economic system that made America great in the past. Huh? Empirical..."
- "Hank, any experiment/study can test any thesis. If Lu's goal was to test field realistic doses..."
- Two studies identify a detectable, pre-cancerous state in the blood
- Nervous system may play bigger role in infections than previously known
- NIAID/GSK experimental Ebola vaccine appears safe, prompts immune response
- Heat-conducting plastic developed at U-Michigan
- Trial shows new imaging system may cut X-ray exposure for liver cancer patients