Psychiatrist Dr. Eric Hollander says the hygiene hypothesis - the idea that by eliminating some harmful organisms we are weakening our immune systems - may be a reason to study the use of ingesting the eggs of parasitic worms to treat autism.
He gets to jump on a few hot button cultural topics that way, autism and a medical idea that has caught on with the usual anti-science hippies and the more normal crowd who got sold the idea that anti-bacterial soaps were necessary if they care about kids.
The kicker is that the psychiatrist got the idea when he noticed one of his patients’ behavior improve while self-medicating with Trichuris suis ova (TSO), the eggs of a whipworm. That passes for a journal paper in the social sciences.
Hollander, a clinical professor of psychiatry at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and director of Autism and Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum Program at Montefiore Medical Center, is leading a trial that will see if TSO can treat the symptoms of autism.
TSO therapy is not legal in the USA but other self-medicating people can purchase it online or get it by traveling to another country - or enroll in Hollander's trial.
Study looks at worm therapy to treat autism By Jessica Ryen Doyle, FOX News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Could You See Moon City Lights Or A Greenhouse From Earth? Just For Fun
- The Alleged Perversion of Geoff Marcy and Sexual Harassment.
- Hand And Arm Movement To Quadriplegic Patients Restored
- Mother Jones Hates Scientists - And Their Bias Shows
- The Plot Of The Week: Light New Bosons Below The J/Psi
- To Make EU Food Sector Renewable Energy Viable, Less Meat And More...organic Veggies?
- 'Blind Analysis' Used In Physics Could Reduce Bias In Social And Life Sciences Papers
- "The events are not statistically independent! My definition of (statistical) dependence is the..."
- "Hi,sorry but saying the events are independent is different from saying as you imply above the..."
- "With five increases in magnitude, they are dimmer by a factor of 100. I just looked up the..."
- "Quite the contrary - my reasoning is that of a statistician and yours that of a physicist. That..."
- "So cinnabar is non-toxic, because it's natural, when processed in the magical TCM way? Interesting..."
- ACSH Talks Science Outreach At The Western Plant Health Association Meeting
- OxyContin-for-Kids Debate, Now National, Intensifies
- Golden Rice Moves Closer to Reality in Asia
- C. Diff. Can Be Controlled, With Relative Ease
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation