Psychiatrist Dr. Eric Hollander says the hygiene hypothesis - the idea that by eliminating some harmful organisms we are weakening our immune systems - may be a reason to study the use of ingesting the eggs of parasitic worms to treat autism.
He gets to jump on a few hot button cultural topics that way, autism and a medical idea that has caught on with the usual anti-science hippies and the more normal crowd who got sold the idea that anti-bacterial soaps were necessary if they care about kids.
The kicker is that the psychiatrist got the idea when he noticed one of his patients’ behavior improve while self-medicating with Trichuris suis ova (TSO), the eggs of a whipworm. That passes for a journal paper in the social sciences.
Hollander, a clinical professor of psychiatry at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and director of Autism and Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum Program at Montefiore Medical Center, is leading a trial that will see if TSO can treat the symptoms of autism.
TSO therapy is not legal in the USA but other self-medicating people can purchase it online or get it by traveling to another country - or enroll in Hollander's trial.
Study looks at worm therapy to treat autism By Jessica Ryen Doyle, FOX News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Mr. Spock Changed Our Perception Of Science
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- How Would Life Develop If Fundamental Physics Constants Were Different?
- 7 Ways To Make Your Science Video Popular On YouTube
- Nanophysics meets Medical Science: One contrast agent for six imaging techniques
- Cruithne: Earth's Other 'Moon' Could Reveal Mysteries Of The Solar System
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- ".He got invoked yesterday also. He is having a good week on Science 2.0...."
- "If I scroll down so that only the top fourth of the picture is on-screen, the dress appears to..."
- "You're an idiot. Ma Bell was protected by the ICC. Regulations protected Ma Bell’s monopoly by..."
- "Everything you just said was false...."
- "Anthropogenic climate change has become more local in Australia anyway over the last three decades..."