Psychiatrist Dr. Eric Hollander says the hygiene hypothesis - the idea that by eliminating some harmful organisms we are weakening our immune systems - may be a reason to study the use of ingesting the eggs of parasitic worms to treat autism.
He gets to jump on a few hot button cultural topics that way, autism and a medical idea that has caught on with the usual anti-science hippies and the more normal crowd who got sold the idea that anti-bacterial soaps were necessary if they care about kids.
The kicker is that the psychiatrist got the idea when he noticed one of his patients’ behavior improve while self-medicating with Trichuris suis ova (TSO), the eggs of a whipworm. That passes for a journal paper in the social sciences.
Hollander, a clinical professor of psychiatry at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and director of Autism and Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum Program at Montefiore Medical Center, is leading a trial that will see if TSO can treat the symptoms of autism.
TSO therapy is not legal in the USA but other self-medicating people can purchase it online or get it by traveling to another country - or enroll in Hollander's trial.
Study looks at worm therapy to treat autism By Jessica Ryen Doyle, FOX News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- Apollo Astronauts And Cardiovascular-Related Deaths
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- Street Norco Looks Like The Real Thing But Really, Really Isn't
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- "Zoran:I didn't say I can't see any bearing. Instead, I unequivocally said Nothing you have written..."
- "Sorry for perhaps being not clear again: I always revise stuff if I find out that I have written..."
- "Essentially you are saying Mark these Nobel Laureates are wrong and you are right. This is commendable..."
- "So what was the precipitating event which caused your re-evaluation?..."
- "I try this one... I am a bit rusty, so my solution can be dramatically wrong. Given that B is uniform..."
- Happy World Hepatitis Day!
- Ovarian Cancer: Are We Choosing Wisely?
- New York Is Second In Health Care Premiums, Last In Hospital Quality
- USPSTF Advisory on Skin Cancer Screening Provokes Concerns from Docs
- Cancer As Modern Lifestyle Disease? Only If There Was Processed Food 2 Million Years Ago
- Was Dr. Oz Selling An Endocrine Disruptor?
- New research adds evidence on potential treatments targeting amyloid beta in Alzheimer's
- In France, hiring biases slightly favor women in male-dominated STEM fields
- Tomatoes resist a parasitic vine by detecting its peptide
- Twisted optics: Seeing light from a new angle
- No dream: Electric brain stimulation during sleep can boost memory