Psychiatrist Dr. Eric Hollander says the hygiene hypothesis - the idea that by eliminating some harmful organisms we are weakening our immune systems - may be a reason to study the use of ingesting the eggs of parasitic worms to treat autism.
He gets to jump on a few hot button cultural topics that way, autism and a medical idea that has caught on with the usual anti-science hippies and the more normal crowd who got sold the idea that anti-bacterial soaps were necessary if they care about kids.
The kicker is that the psychiatrist got the idea when he noticed one of his patients’ behavior improve while self-medicating with Trichuris suis ova (TSO), the eggs of a whipworm. That passes for a journal paper in the social sciences.
Hollander, a clinical professor of psychiatry at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and director of Autism and Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum Program at Montefiore Medical Center, is leading a trial that will see if TSO can treat the symptoms of autism.
TSO therapy is not legal in the USA but other self-medicating people can purchase it online or get it by traveling to another country - or enroll in Hollander's trial.
Study looks at worm therapy to treat autism By Jessica Ryen Doyle, FOX News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- Vladimir Putin Thinks The World Of Sepp Blatter
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- "Oregon has some interesting laws for instance though you may elect to kill yourself you can't pump..."
- "Hi ThorYou said:This explanation seems to say that the doppler shift would be the same for large..."
- "Uh, Hank is our president now. And we see eye to eye on just about everything. I was responding..."
- "The cause of hangovers is not known. Let me suggest the most likely, and something none of you..."
- "Like ethanol, but with only one carbon instead of two, methanol even more readily enters every..."
- Genetic tug of war in the brain influences behavior
- New method to predict the amount of nicotine emitted from e-cigarettes
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control