Psychiatrist Dr. Eric Hollander says the hygiene hypothesis - the idea that by eliminating some harmful organisms we are weakening our immune systems - may be a reason to study the use of ingesting the eggs of parasitic worms to treat autism.
He gets to jump on a few hot button cultural topics that way, autism and a medical idea that has caught on with the usual anti-science hippies and the more normal crowd who got sold the idea that anti-bacterial soaps were necessary if they care about kids.
The kicker is that the psychiatrist got the idea when he noticed one of his patients’ behavior improve while self-medicating with Trichuris suis ova (TSO), the eggs of a whipworm. That passes for a journal paper in the social sciences.
Hollander, a clinical professor of psychiatry at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and director of Autism and Obsessive Compulsive Spectrum Program at Montefiore Medical Center, is leading a trial that will see if TSO can treat the symptoms of autism.
TSO therapy is not legal in the USA but other self-medicating people can purchase it online or get it by traveling to another country - or enroll in Hollander's trial.
Study looks at worm therapy to treat autism By Jessica Ryen Doyle, FOX News
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Early Human Ancestor Did Not Have The Jaws Of A Nutcracker
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- "This is not surprising. In fact in a cohort with autism in general who did not have this specific..."
- "Or Genius or Juventas......"
- "I must disagree with the physics of what this author has written. I may have some basis for..."
- "Those are the same arguments for progressives. Scientists are playing God and thwarting the will..."
- Surge in Hep B Cases Should Not Be A Surprise
- Pertussis Booster Protection Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Unapproved Stem Cell Therapies, a Public Health Menace
- Enjoying the Sun’s Vitamin D, While Blocking Skin Cancer
- Norovirus: From Satan’s Biohazard Lab To Your Duodenum
- Health Briefs: What You Missed Over the Weekend