Think sodas and other drinks are too sweet? You are not alone.
Barry Nalebuff, professor of economics and strategy at Yale School of Management, thought that too and so 14 years ago he started Honest Tea Inc. with one of his students. They make tea that tastes like tea and it has fewer than 100 calories each. They will have sold 100 million bottles this year.
But not in New York City. Because Honest Tea comes in 500 milliliter bottles, it will be banned. 500 milliliters is 16.9 ounces and, because New York City wants to mimic the social authoritarian, anti-science quackery of San Francisco, it will be outlawed to cure obesity.
Is eliminating low-calorie tea helping anyone? Well, no. But we have to do something. It's for the children. When social authoritarians invoke children, you should reach for your wallet.
A 16-ounce bottle of SoBe No Fear has 260 calories and 70 grams of sugar, almost four times the sugar and calories of Honest Tea, yet the lower calorie one is being banned because of size.
Nalebuff is at Yale, so he is fine with social authoritarianism and the super-nanny state (and he is rich, having sold Honest Tea to Coca-Cola), he just thinks size is the wrong metric. Ban calories instead, he claims. Obviously, banning neither makes the most sense, but once the government can force you to buy health insurance, they can tell you what to consume too.
Ban Calories, Not Ounces, to Regulate Sugary Beverages by Barry Nalebuff, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Highlights From ICNFP 2015
- Most Idiotic Rejection Of Course From Philosopher Of Science Not Grasping Relativity
- Artificial Intelligence: It's Time To Talk About What Emotions We Want AI To Have
- Supertranslations And Eternal Ghosts: Black Holes No Closer To Being Understood
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- Alpha Lipoic Acid Dietary Supplement Slows Aging In Mice
- "The wavelength of the exiting radiation from the iguana asymptotically becomes zero, so I can't..."
- "The other thing that is weirdly suspicious is the picture mocking Hilarry Putnam. Now, the brains..."
- "My question is, exactly what was in this paper? He complains about the paper being rejected and..."
- "I wouldn't take it too hard buddy. Suppose they did publish it- then what, 20 more people might..."
- "I had some problems with Dr. Vongehr's short essay. One of them is the broken English. Now I am..."
- “Shock Therapy” – Not a Cuckoo’s Nest, a Valid Depression Rx
- Innate: Simplot genetically engineered potato gets USDA nod for deregulation
- Sorry, AIDS Deniers, It’s Only a Headline
- Mission Not Yet Accomplished on Vaccines
- Cigarettes, Now With An Organic Health Halo
- Bee Wary of Tales of the ‘Beepocalypse’
- Study reveals human body has gone through four stages of evolution
- Estimate claims plastic in 99 percent of seabirds by 2050 - but accuracy of the baseline is unknown
- Pollution and weather influence heart attack outcomes?
- Fish oil diet versus gut microbes
- Naps linked to reduced blood pressure and fewer medications