Think sodas and other drinks are too sweet? You are not alone.
Barry Nalebuff, professor of economics and strategy at Yale School of Management, thought that too and so 14 years ago he started Honest Tea Inc. with one of his students. They make tea that tastes like tea and it has fewer than 100 calories each. They will have sold 100 million bottles this year.
But not in New York City. Because Honest Tea comes in 500 milliliter bottles, it will be banned. 500 milliliters is 16.9 ounces and, because New York City wants to mimic the social authoritarian, anti-science quackery of San Francisco, it will be outlawed to cure obesity.
Is eliminating low-calorie tea helping anyone? Well, no. But we have to do something. It's for the children. When social authoritarians invoke children, you should reach for your wallet.
A 16-ounce bottle of SoBe No Fear has 260 calories and 70 grams of sugar, almost four times the sugar and calories of Honest Tea, yet the lower calorie one is being banned because of size.
Nalebuff is at Yale, so he is fine with social authoritarianism and the super-nanny state (and he is rich, having sold Honest Tea to Coca-Cola), he just thinks size is the wrong metric. Ban calories instead, he claims. Obviously, banning neither makes the most sense, but once the government can force you to buy health insurance, they can tell you what to consume too.
Ban Calories, Not Ounces, to Regulate Sugary Beverages by Barry Nalebuff, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- ASTEROIDS Act: Who Owns Space?
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- Type 1 Diabetes Surges In White Kids
- "thermocamera caught surface temperatire, as discovered out by Giancarlo here. ..."
- "I would like to believe that the E-Cat really produces a lot of excess heat energy, but I ran across..."
- "Because there are only 2?..."
- "I found the AMO/PDO charts to be very broad, and hard to tell (at least with the limited knowledge..."
- "I have dabbled with AMO and PDO, but it really needs to be more of a comparison to SST's, at which..."
- How to sell a toxic pesticide the smart way–call it organic
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous