Think sodas and other drinks are too sweet? You are not alone.
Barry Nalebuff, professor of economics and strategy at Yale School of Management, thought that too and so 14 years ago he started Honest Tea Inc. with one of his students. They make tea that tastes like tea and it has fewer than 100 calories each. They will have sold 100 million bottles this year.
But not in New York City. Because Honest Tea comes in 500 milliliter bottles, it will be banned. 500 milliliters is 16.9 ounces and, because New York City wants to mimic the social authoritarian, anti-science quackery of San Francisco, it will be outlawed to cure obesity.
Is eliminating low-calorie tea helping anyone? Well, no. But we have to do something. It's for the children. When social authoritarians invoke children, you should reach for your wallet.
A 16-ounce bottle of SoBe No Fear has 260 calories and 70 grams of sugar, almost four times the sugar and calories of Honest Tea, yet the lower calorie one is being banned because of size.
Nalebuff is at Yale, so he is fine with social authoritarianism and the super-nanny state (and he is rich, having sold Honest Tea to Coca-Cola), he just thinks size is the wrong metric. Ban calories instead, he claims. Obviously, banning neither makes the most sense, but once the government can force you to buy health insurance, they can tell you what to consume too.
Ban Calories, Not Ounces, to Regulate Sugary Beverages by Barry Nalebuff, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- Spring Flukes: New 3-Sigma Signals From LHCb And ATLAS
- Age reversing drugs found from Mayo Clinic And Scripps Research Institute
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- "Who are we kidding our education systems (worldwide) are designed for the average child? Yes there..."
- "Thanks for the post to let us know more about herpes...."
- " Fermi's Paradox seems to be assuming advanced civilizations would be biologic lifeforms instead..."
- "Ginger ale may be as close to salty as I can go...."
- "Hi Hank - lots of good comments - some I agree with - others not so much, LOL. The old saying of..."