Think sodas and other drinks are too sweet? You are not alone.
Barry Nalebuff, professor of economics and strategy at Yale School of Management, thought that too and so 14 years ago he started Honest Tea Inc. with one of his students. They make tea that tastes like tea and it has fewer than 100 calories each. They will have sold 100 million bottles this year.
But not in New York City. Because Honest Tea comes in 500 milliliter bottles, it will be banned. 500 milliliters is 16.9 ounces and, because New York City wants to mimic the social authoritarian, anti-science quackery of San Francisco, it will be outlawed to cure obesity.
Is eliminating low-calorie tea helping anyone? Well, no. But we have to do something. It's for the children. When social authoritarians invoke children, you should reach for your wallet.
A 16-ounce bottle of SoBe No Fear has 260 calories and 70 grams of sugar, almost four times the sugar and calories of Honest Tea, yet the lower calorie one is being banned because of size.
Nalebuff is at Yale, so he is fine with social authoritarianism and the super-nanny state (and he is rich, having sold Honest Tea to Coca-Cola), he just thinks size is the wrong metric. Ban calories instead, he claims. Obviously, banning neither makes the most sense, but once the government can force you to buy health insurance, they can tell you what to consume too.
Ban Calories, Not Ounces, to Regulate Sugary Beverages by Barry Nalebuff, Bloomberg
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- It's Life, Jim, But Not As We Know It
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- Cruithne: Earth's Other 'Moon' Could Reveal Mysteries Of The Solar System
- What Antidepressants Do To Healthy People
- Whole Food Diet Linked To Greater Cognitive Dysfunction In Alzheimer’s
- Creepy IBM AI toy coming for Christmas—the Continuum paradox. Eerie IBM video link below.
- "I appreciate that climate scientists are now beginning to recognize an element of natural variation..."
- "Doug:What do you mean by R in your graphs, and the circle with a radius arrow?If, as in the case..."
- "Of course there's one possible explanation for the lack of warming - one that is so obvious, but..."
- "I guess the reason FC persists is that it works! Under appropriate conditions large numbers of..."
- "The researchers conclude that given past historical patterns of variation in the AMO and PMO, this..."
- Robust scientific evidence that chronic fatigue syndrome is a biological illness
- Life 'not as we know it' possible on Saturn's moon Titan?
- For patients with brain tumors, insurance status linked to differences in patient safety and quality of care
- Anti-stroke drugs, minus the side effects
- Local media coverage positive toward local businesses