As I said in our earlier piece outlining how perhaps SETI had outlived its usefulness given modern knowledge, the success metric was that a civilization more than 400 years away - because we know there are none closer - would have to have sent low-tech radio signals to a planet that lacked the technology to receive radio signals when they sent them. The aliens basically would have needed to know the future, which means they didn't need radio waves.
They cited inadequate government funding as the reason for the shutdown but, really, this thing shouldn't be government funded at all. If Paul Allen and Jodie Foster and other rich people want to fund it, and they do, that is cool, it just isn't science.
Writing at TG Daily, Starr Keshet has a different take on why SETI is a waste of time - namely that we're too goofy as a species to have alien civilizations want to contact us.
Though the idea that alien civilizations will be less goofy is an awfully anthropic principle concept, Keshet may have a point, as the popularity of Lady Gaga can attest.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Prenatal BPA Exposures (Don’t) Affect Birth Weight
- What Do EU Countries Give Up When They Opt-out Of GMO Crops? And For Whom?
- An Easy Problem
- Nobel Prize Validates Chinese Medicine? Nope.
- Another Mainstream Science Publication Calls Out USRTK And Its Media Enablers
- Mother Jones Hates Scientists - And Their Bias Shows
- Difficulty Processing Speech May Be An Effect Of Dyslexia, Not A Cause
- "This is a bit of irony: Mother Jones, which can never be bothered with facts or truth and got sued..."
- "Great piece Steve. While the potential for suffering and death in Africa especially thanks to this..."
- "I look forward to more threats and libel from you in the very near future. It's your stock in trade..."
- "Dear Mr. Campbell: Again you spin and dissemble. It was quite clear from the many tweets between..."
- "One of us does not know what libel means (hint: It is you). Calling me a felon and a fraud is libel..."
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation
- Counter-Point: Activists Operate By Outrage, Not Fear
- Whole Foods Recalls Organic Roquefort Cheeses After Listeria Found
- Suicide Tries Linked to Weight-Loss Surgery? Study Doesn’t Show
- Following Rules, Refreezing Thawed Meat is Safe
- Beetles provide clues about the genetic foundations of parenthood
- Trees to power: McMaster engineers build better energy storage device
- High dose chemo & stem cell transplantation results in long-term survival for amyloid patients
- 'Blind analysis' could reduce bias in social sciences papers
- Adoption of streamlined breast cancer treatment has stagnated, study finds