As I said in our earlier piece outlining how perhaps SETI had outlived its usefulness given modern knowledge, the success metric was that a civilization more than 400 years away - because we know there are none closer - would have to have sent low-tech radio signals to a planet that lacked the technology to receive radio signals when they sent them. The aliens basically would have needed to know the future, which means they didn't need radio waves.
They cited inadequate government funding as the reason for the shutdown but, really, this thing shouldn't be government funded at all. If Paul Allen and Jodie Foster and other rich people want to fund it, and they do, that is cool, it just isn't science.
Writing at TG Daily, Starr Keshet has a different take on why SETI is a waste of time - namely that we're too goofy as a species to have alien civilizations want to contact us.
Though the idea that alien civilizations will be less goofy is an awfully anthropic principle concept, Keshet may have a point, as the popularity of Lady Gaga can attest.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Pseudoscience Creeping Into Your Conference? A Case In GMOs And Glyphosate
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Are Dark Matter Scientists About To Prove Its Existence?
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Beyond Diamonds And Gems: The World's Rarest Minerals
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- The power of GW150914
- "I like the argument on how evolving the entertainment technology are, the human being still enjoy..."
- "The power flux (power per unit area) of plane gravitational waves can be derived from Einstein's..."
- "Thanks for your helpful remark. I would appreciate a specific answer to my question,relating to..."
- "It had no evidence, just a one-page paper claiming a mitochondrial hypothesis on aging and the..."
- "With your statistics background I would really be interested in hearing your opinion on something..."
- Beard Microbiology: Grubby Hipsters May Be On To Something
- Water Tops the List of Health Concerns for Competitive Eaters
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- BRCA Tests Increasing for Younger Breast Cancer Patients