Citing a lack of revenue, the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California has shut down the Allen Telescope Array of radio dishes that have been scanning the skies for signals from extraterrestrial life for decades.
And that's the problem, isn't it? As optimistic as it sounds to laypeople, the success metric was that a civilization more than 400 years away - because we know there are none closer - would have to have sent low-tech radio signals to a planet that lacked the technology to receive radio signals when they sent them. The aliens basically would have needed to know the future, which means they didn't need radio waves.
SETI Institute CEO Tom Pierson cited 'inadequate government support' as the reason the system was put into hibernation. I know, I know, if it's a great idea yet has no profit motive, no one except the government will fund it. In one sense that is true, government funds a lot of stupid things because it isn't their money, but in another sense if the idea is good and you do the work, private donors will fund it, provided it is a good idea and the books show the money is used responsibly.
It's easy, really. The number one job - the only job - of a non-profit CEO is to be out there pressing the flesh to make sure you have enough money. That's it. SETI insists that the timing is awful because over 1,200 possible new planets have been detected even farther away, meaning alien civilizations would have had to have sent radio signals thousands of years before they even knew we would invent radio. And only if they invented radio.
SETI had its day but the notion that all projects need to be perpetual is a silly one. Hey, even the ESP lab at Princeton had to shut down after 28 years, and a lot more people believe in that than aliens sending us FM signals.
But still going strong, incontrovertible proof that my non-participatory stance is working, is the WETI program. Success rate so far: 100%
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sorry Star Trek Fans, Tau Ceti Is Not The Next Earth
- We Don't Hear Much About The 10,000 French Deaths At Gallipoli
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- Arginine Deprivation May Be A Potential Cause For Alzheimer's
- Yellowstone Volcanic System Four Times Bigger Than Thought
- Offenbach in Athens
- The Evolutionary Psychology Reason Some People Will Be Anti-GMO
- "Wonderful Offenbach! I remember that particular tune from my schooldays. This performance..."
- "I am just gob smacked that Oz has not been reined in by your authorities. Don't take this..."
- "I am just gob smacked that Oz has not been reined in by your authorities. He airs here in Australia..."
- "Agreed. There was a very famous runner named Jim Fixx, entirely ignorant of medical genetics..."
- "I'm a concert pianist. Should I be giving flute lessons? ..."