Citing a lack of revenue, the SETI Institute in Mountain View, California has shut down the Allen Telescope Array of radio dishes that have been scanning the skies for signals from extraterrestrial life for decades.
And that's the problem, isn't it? As optimistic as it sounds to laypeople, the success metric was that a civilization more than 400 years away - because we know there are none closer - would have to have sent low-tech radio signals to a planet that lacked the technology to receive radio signals when they sent them. The aliens basically would have needed to know the future, which means they didn't need radio waves.
SETI Institute CEO Tom Pierson cited 'inadequate government support' as the reason the system was put into hibernation. I know, I know, if it's a great idea yet has no profit motive, no one except the government will fund it. In one sense that is true, government funds a lot of stupid things because it isn't their money, but in another sense if the idea is good and you do the work, private donors will fund it, provided it is a good idea and the books show the money is used responsibly.
It's easy, really. The number one job - the only job - of a non-profit CEO is to be out there pressing the flesh to make sure you have enough money. That's it. SETI insists that the timing is awful because over 1,200 possible new planets have been detected even farther away, meaning alien civilizations would have had to have sent radio signals thousands of years before they even knew we would invent radio. And only if they invented radio.
SETI had its day but the notion that all projects need to be perpetual is a silly one. Hey, even the ESP lab at Princeton had to shut down after 28 years, and a lot more people believe in that than aliens sending us FM signals.
But still going strong, incontrovertible proof that my non-participatory stance is working, is the WETI program. Success rate so far: 100%
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Microevolutionary Evidence: The Eyes Have It
- Human Have Been Using Beeswax For 8,000 Years
- Asymptomatic People Transmit Dengue Virus To Mosquitoes
- New Open-access Data On Paleofloods
- "A single cryptic link to this by John Derbyshire on why educrats cannot handle black affirmative..."
- " I'm gonna call you out on a source for that. I haven't heard anything about this. I've read nonsense..."
- "On government bunkers, forgot to answer. Not my special subject :). But in the cold war there was..."
- "The reason I needed to do an article is because so many of you are so scared by it. I wouldn't..."
- "You have nothing to worry about or scared about by way of mythical bullshit planets :). I don't..."
- Reduced blood flow seen in brain after clinical recovery of acute concussion
- MRI reveals weight loss protects knees
- Imaging identifies cartilage regeneration in long-distance runners
- Medicaid expansion improves breast cancer screening for low-income women
- Parental absence affects brain development in children