Hate compact fluorescent bulbs? Outside lobbyists for billion-dollar bulb companies and Treehugger, we can't find anyone who likes the things. Heck, as long as the government bans alternatives, their ad campaign could be "Want a fragile box of toxic mercury in your child's bedroom? Buy our CFLs!" and people would still dutifully buy them if someone slapped "green" on the label.
But Texas, being the independent sort of state Texas is - essentially the anti-California - is challenging the law by reaffirming that the federal government can only really regulate interstate commerce. They contend any incandescent light bulb manufactured in Texas and sold there avoids the authority of the federal government and the repeal of the 2007 energy independence act that starts phasing out incandescent light bulbs next year.
Will the fed send in armed troops to insure CFL bulbs get bought? No, if they are letting California sell marijuana in defiance of federal law they can't really complain about Texas. Though Texas does tend to vote Republican, so maybe...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Case For Moon: Gateway To Open Ended Human Exploration, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Italian Food Scientists Are Tired Of Phony Cheese
- Ancient DNA Study Finds Phoenician From Carthage Had European Ancestry
- The Politics Of Antibiotic Resistance Factor MCR
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- Current Atmospheric Models Underestimate The Dirtiness Of Arctic Air
- "If interested in an electromagnetic model of the photon structure and its absorption process, as..."
- "I agree with you in theory, but in the case of this particular salmon, I do not think it will turn..."
- "Homeopathy is based on the ‘like cures like’ principle: if a substance causes a set of symptoms..."
- "scuentific ?????????..."
- "Irrefutable evidence? This is not in agreement with the falsability criteria. Is dogmatism...."
- The taste or smell of foods can affect aging, say scientists
- New malaria drugs kill by promoting premature parasite division
- How prions kill neurons: New culture system shows early toxicity to dendritic spines
- The brain needs cleaning to stay healthy
- In brain-injured patients, a way to measure awareness or its impending return