Hate compact fluorescent bulbs? Outside lobbyists for billion-dollar bulb companies and Treehugger, we can't find anyone who likes the things. Heck, as long as the government bans alternatives, their ad campaign could be "Want a fragile box of toxic mercury in your child's bedroom? Buy our CFLs!" and people would still dutifully buy them if someone slapped "green" on the label.
But Texas, being the independent sort of state Texas is - essentially the anti-California - is challenging the law by reaffirming that the federal government can only really regulate interstate commerce. They contend any incandescent light bulb manufactured in Texas and sold there avoids the authority of the federal government and the repeal of the 2007 energy independence act that starts phasing out incandescent light bulbs next year.
Will the fed send in armed troops to insure CFL bulbs get bought? No, if they are letting California sell marijuana in defiance of federal law they can't really complain about Texas. Though Texas does tend to vote Republican, so maybe...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- The Quote Of The Week - Shocked And Disappointed
- As Seen on TV: Advertising’s Influence on Alcohol Abuse
- Type 1 Diabetes Surges In White Kids
- "On the luminosity leveling : my limited understanding is that at hl-lhc, the beam lifetime is completely..."
- "The “non-negotiable mathematical reasons” for raising the height of flood defences are in a..."
- "For background, look at Paul Bloom’s 2004 book Descartes’ Baby. This has interesting material..."
- " It is possible that survival of Ebola virus victims would be much improved if an artificial fever..."
- "Priceless! I really needed a kick in the pants to get me to laugh at myself and this post did it..."
- US Ebola hysteria and money pit highlight lack of resources to confront diseases that kill far more people
- Addiction can be measured by epigenetics
- Coffee grounds turned biofuel can heat your home
- Bill and Melinda Gates on GMOs: ‘Poor farmers should not be denied choice of life-saving tools’
- Why do foodies love organics? Because they taste like McDonald’s!
- GMO milk? An enviros dream innovation that most enviros oppose
- Global boom in hydropower expected this decade
- For brain hemorrhage, risk of death is lower at high-volume hospitals
- Roman-Britons had less gum disease than modern Britons
- 'Swingers' multiple drug use heightens risk of sexually transmitted diseases
- Were clinical trial practices in East Germany questionable?