Hate compact fluorescent bulbs? Outside lobbyists for billion-dollar bulb companies and Treehugger, we can't find anyone who likes the things. Heck, as long as the government bans alternatives, their ad campaign could be "Want a fragile box of toxic mercury in your child's bedroom? Buy our CFLs!" and people would still dutifully buy them if someone slapped "green" on the label.
But Texas, being the independent sort of state Texas is - essentially the anti-California - is challenging the law by reaffirming that the federal government can only really regulate interstate commerce. They contend any incandescent light bulb manufactured in Texas and sold there avoids the authority of the federal government and the repeal of the 2007 energy independence act that starts phasing out incandescent light bulbs next year.
Will the fed send in armed troops to insure CFL bulbs get bought? No, if they are letting California sell marijuana in defiance of federal law they can't really complain about Texas. Though Texas does tend to vote Republican, so maybe...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- How Would You Like A Kitchen Surface That Cleans Itself?
- Wetlands And Agriculture, Not Fossil Fuels, Behind The Global Rise In Methane
- Vitamin D Could Help Control TB In Animals
- The Social Psychology of Presidential Election Polls, Part 1 of 2
- "No, no cause for concern at all :). It's just a new moon, such as happens once a month. When the..."
- "Nice quote! I googled around for this a bit more and stumbled on a graph that showed earth's energy..."
- "hey robert you ta knowing that tomorrow will be a phenomenon on the moon called black moon ???..."
- "Oh, that's a really interesting point, hadn't thought of that. I agree! Perhaps the most advanced..."
- "Yes that's what I'm saying :). If you want more reassurance do message me on quora, quite a few..."
- ACSH Performs #22PushUps Challenge
- American Horror Story: First Ebola, Then Zika. Is Chagas Next?
- Kratom Is A Drug By Any Measure - Treat It Like One
- San Francisco Soda Tax: A Feel-Good Policy Based on Junk Science
- Watson and Crick did not discover DNA
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Single-celled fungi multiply, alien-like, by fusing cells in host
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal