Hate compact fluorescent bulbs? Outside lobbyists for billion-dollar bulb companies and Treehugger, we can't find anyone who likes the things. Heck, as long as the government bans alternatives, their ad campaign could be "Want a fragile box of toxic mercury in your child's bedroom? Buy our CFLs!" and people would still dutifully buy them if someone slapped "green" on the label.
But Texas, being the independent sort of state Texas is - essentially the anti-California - is challenging the law by reaffirming that the federal government can only really regulate interstate commerce. They contend any incandescent light bulb manufactured in Texas and sold there avoids the authority of the federal government and the repeal of the 2007 energy independence act that starts phasing out incandescent light bulbs next year.
Will the fed send in armed troops to insure CFL bulbs get bought? No, if they are letting California sell marijuana in defiance of federal law they can't really complain about Texas. Though Texas does tend to vote Republican, so maybe...
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Early Human Ancestor Did Not Have The Jaws Of A Nutcracker
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- A Long, Hot View: Climate Change Likely To Extend Across Next 10,000 Years
- "This is all just fear-mongering, clap-trap! If things go according to these prediction, but no..."
- "like the sages of israel say g-d created the rules and he dont owe anyone anything weather this..."
- "This is not surprising. In fact in a cohort with autism in general who did not have this specific..."
- "Or Genius or Juventas......"
- Here’s Why Surge in Hepatitis B Cases is No Surprise
- Whooping Cough Booster Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Unapproved Stem Cell Therapies, a Public Health Menace
- Enjoying the Sun’s Vitamin D, While Blocking Skin Cancer
- Norovirus: From Satan’s Biohazard Lab To Your Duodenum
- Health Briefs: What You Missed Over the Weekend
- Expanding use of vaccines could save up to $44 for every dollar spent, study suggests
- Will more states ban nonmedical exemptions for childhood vaccination?
- Researchers find that antiretroviral therapy reduces HIV in the female reproductive tract
- Zika, mosquitoes and how to not get bitten (video)
- A disposable, highly sensitive biosensing system