Lou Gehrig, "The Iron Horse" first baseman for the New York Yankees, had played for 2,130 consecutive games and endured any number of sprains, bumps, bruises and illness. It was a shock when it finally ended, with him telling his coach, in his understated way, he wasn't "feeling well."
Actually, he had Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), commonly known now as Lou Gehrig's Disease, a disease of the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement. Death often occurs within 5 years of diagnosis and Gerhig died June 2, 1941 so he likely had played through it for some time.
The Yankees designated July 4, 1939 as "Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day" and he made his famous "...today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth" farewell speech, later featured in the film "Pride of the Yankees" (which included actual player from his teammates alongside Gary Cooper as Lou Gehrig).
A Liberty ship was named after Gehrig and it landed at Normandy on his birthday in 1944 but Gehrig is most remembered now for bringing ALS to prominence. Baltimore Orioles shortstop Cal Ripken surpassed Gehrig's consecutive games played streak and now holds the record with 2,632.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Dandelions Could Be A Sustainable Source Of Rubber
- Avoid Showing The Jacksonville Jaguars And Other Ways To Optimize Monday Night Football
- Odds of Intelligent life on the TRAPPIST-1 planets : NOT Great.
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- "hey Alex,yeah ok...."
- "You mean, is it edible?Yes it is. Though the digestibility of the oil has not yet been studied..."
- "Quark colors are considered in the framework of the SM weak interactions for the first time. In..."
- "Yes absolutely. Nobody has predicted any astronomical event successfully from the Bible. And it..."
- "so this vídeo armageddon News is fake???..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes