Lou Gehrig, "The Iron Horse" first baseman for the New York Yankees, had played for 2,130 consecutive games and endured any number of sprains, bumps, bruises and illness. It was a shock when it finally ended, with him telling his coach, in his understated way, he wasn't "feeling well."
Actually, he had Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), commonly known now as Lou Gehrig's Disease, a disease of the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement. Death often occurs within 5 years of diagnosis and Gerhig died June 2, 1941 so he likely had played through it for some time.
The Yankees designated July 4, 1939 as "Lou Gehrig Appreciation Day" and he made his famous "...today, I consider myself, the luckiest man on the face of the earth" farewell speech, later featured in the film "Pride of the Yankees" (which included actual player from his teammates alongside Gary Cooper as Lou Gehrig).
A Liberty ship was named after Gehrig and it landed at Normandy on his birthday in 1944 but Gehrig is most remembered now for bringing ALS to prominence. Baltimore Orioles shortstop Cal Ripken surpassed Gehrig's consecutive games played streak and now holds the record with 2,632.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is Corbyn Right About The Bomb?- Op Ed
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- TSCA Reform Casualties Likely Start with Asbestos
- March Against Monsanto Claims Vaccines Cause Cancer
- "The left bases a persons dedication to science strictly on how many of their beliefs you wholeheartedly..."
- "I know someone who has sent to a zeta talkers (a website, which promoted, back in the early 2000s..."
- "Oh that's an example of how they muddle everything together and ignore inconvenient differences..."
- "I think uve also got to take into account as well tho mr walker that there is also alot of people..."
- "Another definite equation (a relation between the neutrino reactor angle and the neutrino mass..."