A dedicated vegan has to make a difficult choice.
She realizes, as most culturally neutral people knew, that nutrition is a shockingly inexact science and that the human body may react to a strict vegan style for one person but moralizing and posturing that therefore everyone else is unethical if they aren't vegan is not an evidence-based claim, it is simply one of good fortune that they don't get sick.
She isn't going all Texas barbecue about it, just eating a small bit of fish or an egg each day to achieve a little more balance than she had before, but says both her spirits and her physical health are better.
It's a cautionary tale. By all means, try it, but if it is not working for you don't suffer 3.5 years under the artificial notion that's it's 'wrong' to eat animals. Humans evolved to process nutrients a certain way and, sure, there is variation among individuals, but anyone insisting their way is the only way is probably selling you something.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Gut Bacteria Ensure A Healthy Brain – and Could Play A Role In Treating Depression
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- Erupting Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Sits On A Massive Magma Hot Spot
- The Strange Organic Molecules In Titan's Atmosphere
- We're Too Late To Prevent 137,000 More Ebola Cases, Says Epidemiology Paper
- ASTEROIDS Act: Who Owns Space?
- Genetically Modified Stem Cells Kill Brain Tumors
- "/* Science advances as much by mistakes as by plans. */ Apparently the mainstream physicists are..."
- "Part of being a theorist in any subfield is trying to explain the results that we have in hand..."
- "This essay interested me immensely. My father claimed to be an 'atheist' all his life but..."
- "Not all of us are explorers, much less pioneers. The author is certainly not the latter and too..."
- " Obviously 300% more fish farming means more illnesses and more antibiotic use.Is it really..."
- How to sell a toxic pesticide the smart way–call it organic
- Leftist dystopia? Anti-technology fever animates opposition to GMOs and other ‘disruptive’ technologies
- CDC faced a nearly impossible balancing act with Ebola, and failed
- Why Chobani reversed course, making yoghurt only from milk from cows not fed GMO grain
- Monterey, California, hotbed of anti-GMO activism, home to new GMO corn farm
- Evolution is sometimes messy or even outright ridiculous