To suggest genetically modified ingredients pose a threat to consumers is scientifically precipitous. Most studies that draw this conclusion are either methodologically unsound or contain flawed data sets. Thus far, science has demonstrated that products containing GMOs are perfectly safe for human consumption. Since they have only been on the market since 1994, however, more research is obviously warranted.
Unlike Canada, California has the economic power to be a trendsetter. Proposition 37 was filled with loopholes and special exemptions that would have made the legislation very costly to implement. Still, we should take note and engage Canadian consumers on this very important issue. A collective discussion on GMO labelling is not just about labelling, but more importantly about food democracy: giving consumers a chance to make well-informed choices.
'Frankenfoods' not a threat to consumers By Sylvain Charlesbois, Winnipeg Free Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- 2004 BL86 - 'Near Miss' Asteroid Even Has Its Own Moon
- Reviews In Physics - A New Journal
- Wiggles: Inconsistencies Undermine Model Reliability For Projecting Decade-To-Decade Warming
- If Abortion Is A Choice Then Sex Selection Abortion Should Remain Legal
- Planet With Rings Found Outside Solar System - And They Are Bigger Than Saturn
- Partly Wrong With A Chance Of Being Right: Why Are Weather Forecasts Still So Inaccurate?
- Happy 150th Birthday To Maxwell's Theory Of Electromagnetism
- "I first thought of asking “Could you please enlighten us?”, but in a posh-ish Anglo accent..."
- "Hi T, Thanks for the note on the CMS result on Majorana neutrinos. However this is not surprising..."
- "Excellent Article, sugar has no nutritional value whatsoever, never has & never will. We had fat..."
- "It looks to me like an alien spacecraft. ..."
- "Hello Sven,good questions. Let me give you some possible answers below.1 - the main advantage of..."