To suggest genetically modified ingredients pose a threat to consumers is scientifically precipitous. Most studies that draw this conclusion are either methodologically unsound or contain flawed data sets. Thus far, science has demonstrated that products containing GMOs are perfectly safe for human consumption. Since they have only been on the market since 1994, however, more research is obviously warranted.
Unlike Canada, California has the economic power to be a trendsetter. Proposition 37 was filled with loopholes and special exemptions that would have made the legislation very costly to implement. Still, we should take note and engage Canadian consumers on this very important issue. A collective discussion on GMO labelling is not just about labelling, but more importantly about food democracy: giving consumers a chance to make well-informed choices.
'Frankenfoods' not a threat to consumers By Sylvain Charlesbois, Winnipeg Free Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- Study Explains Mechanisms Behind Glioblastoma Influence On The Immune System
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Paleo: In A Clinical Trial, Bread Made With Ancient Grains Could Benefit Heart Health
- Brown Adipose Tissue Can Secrete Factors That Activate Fat And Carbohydrate Metabolism
- New Score Seeks To Expand Pool Of Kidneys Available For Transplant
- "Right, good thoughts :). On replicators, yes if a species can make robust self replicating spaceships..."
- "Nope, only Italian for now.Cheers,T...."
- "Is the book available also in English?..."
- "Oh, had to look it up, that's the first asteroid to be detected with a tiny 1 in a million chance..."
- "Robert hey you know the asteroid called 2002 NT7? I know that NASA already ruled out the possibility..."
- San Francisco Soda Tax: A Feel-Good Policy Based on Junk Science
- Watson and Crick did not discover DNA
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Diabetes: MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin System Is A Waypoint To An Artificial Pancreas
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- Littlest Consumers Doing Well, Nutrition-wise
- How would you like a kitchen surface that cleans itself?
- Vitamin D could help control TB in animals
- Antipsychotic medications linked to increased risk of pneumonia in persons with Alzheimer's disease
- Multiple sclerosis misdiagnosis shows need for improved education of clinicians
- Brown adipose tissue can secrete factors that activate fat and carbohydrate metabolism