To suggest genetically modified ingredients pose a threat to consumers is scientifically precipitous. Most studies that draw this conclusion are either methodologically unsound or contain flawed data sets. Thus far, science has demonstrated that products containing GMOs are perfectly safe for human consumption. Since they have only been on the market since 1994, however, more research is obviously warranted.
Unlike Canada, California has the economic power to be a trendsetter. Proposition 37 was filled with loopholes and special exemptions that would have made the legislation very costly to implement. Still, we should take note and engage Canadian consumers on this very important issue. A collective discussion on GMO labelling is not just about labelling, but more importantly about food democracy: giving consumers a chance to make well-informed choices.
'Frankenfoods' not a threat to consumers By Sylvain Charlesbois, Winnipeg Free Press
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- A Racist On The Jews: Let The Donald Trump!
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- Was Euclid A Black Woman? Sorting Through The False History And Bad Philosophy Of Mathematics
- "Hi Robert! This has to be one of the best articles i have read in a very long time. I live in Norway..."
- "Mr walker i got on the nibiru hoax if it was real would be visible like the death star on the rogue..."
- "You are of course welcome to talk to me and if it helps to contact me via pm you can contact me..."
- "Oh, okay. It's definitely worth seeing your doctor if you haven't already. As an example of the..."
- "Im just panaking like mad dont no what to do who to turn to who to talk to. Zack..."
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: 'IN UTERO' in Hollywood Q&A
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Dr. Halford Answers "the Big Question"
- The media is not helping in the battle against SIDS
- Busted Breast Cancer Myths
- SIDS Recommendations Evolving Beyond 'Back to Sleep'
- SIDS recommendations are evolving beyond 'Back to Sleep'