If you eat meat you "easily cheat, lie, forget promises and commit sex crimes", according to a controversial school textbook called New Healthway, which is on hygiene and health for 11 and 12 year-olds and is printed by one of India's leading publishers.
"The strongest argument that meat is not essential food is the fact that the Creator of this Universe did not include meat in the original diet for Adam and Eve. He gave them fruits, nuts and vegetables," reads a chapter entitled Do We Need Flesh Food?
One chapter refers to Eskimos (Inuit) as "lazy, sluggish and short-lived", because they live on "a diet largely of meat". It adds: "The Arabs who helped in constructing the Suez Canal lived on wheat and dates and were superior to the beef-fed Englishmen engaged in the same work."
It is not known which Indian schools have bought the book for their students, but correspondents say what is worrying is that such a book is available to students.
India textbook says meat-eaters lie and commit sex crimes - BBC
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Bitcoin And Anonymity: User's Identity Can Be Revealed Much Easier Than Thought
- Not Neonics: Parasites Are Bad For Honey Bees
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- Volunteer-Based Peer Review: A Success
- Diversity Fatigue: Why Businesses Struggle To Close The Gender Gap
- "Typical blame the victim comment by a fan girl. The point is that the quality of crossfit trainers..."
- "Happy Thanksgiving, Hank.http://youtu.be/5u0v24rissM?list=UUPu_mODE4FGtKcACHH57kvg..."
- "Which papers? Did I miss something? It seemed like your claim was based on those two papers (Lu..."
- "Pike squares, infantry squares, and other tactical formations are obsolete, but phalanxes and testudo..."
- "Revolutions are not funded by their own government. If it were a revolution, investment in the..."
- DNA may survive suborbital spaceflight, re-entry
- Post-medieval Polish buried as potential 'vampires' were likely local
- Arctic conditions may become critical for polar bears by end of 21st century
- Blistering skin disease may be treatable with 'therapeutic reprogramming,' researchers say
- Carnegie Mellon researchers identify brain regions that encode words, grammar, story