If you eat meat you "easily cheat, lie, forget promises and commit sex crimes", according to a controversial school textbook called New Healthway, which is on hygiene and health for 11 and 12 year-olds and is printed by one of India's leading publishers.
"The strongest argument that meat is not essential food is the fact that the Creator of this Universe did not include meat in the original diet for Adam and Eve. He gave them fruits, nuts and vegetables," reads a chapter entitled Do We Need Flesh Food?
One chapter refers to Eskimos (Inuit) as "lazy, sluggish and short-lived", because they live on "a diet largely of meat". It adds: "The Arabs who helped in constructing the Suez Canal lived on wheat and dates and were superior to the beef-fed Englishmen engaged in the same work."
It is not known which Indian schools have bought the book for their students, but correspondents say what is worrying is that such a book is available to students.
India textbook says meat-eaters lie and commit sex crimes - BBC
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Radical Rethink: Sugars Are The Only Cause Of Tooth Decay
- Being Too Analytical Could Push Ethics Out The Door
- Keytruda: FDA Approves Melanoma Drug That Uses Immune System To Fight Cancer
- It's Almost 2015 - So Where Is My Hoverboard?
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- This Type Of Baldness By Age 45 Linked To More Aggressive Prostate Cancer
- Meet Graphene's Sexy New Cousin Germanene
- "I doubt she read it far enough to see the details of the proposal. You are welcome to recommend..."
- "I do hope Hontas actually read your proposal (bet) before deleting it, since I truly hope she takes..."
- "I think it's far from anything like a good compromise. (I can think of many things—even..."
- "Pretty much. It's a compromise between the ebook and the traditional book. I am hoping..."
- "So what is the complaint? There are a lot more partisan cranks framing papers through the politics..."
- Imaging identifies asymptomatic people at risk for stroke
- Researchers debunk myth about Parkinson's disease
- Dental and nutrition experts call for radical rethink on free sugars intake
- Study shows consumption of high-fat dairy products is associated with a lower risk of developing diabetes
- Study adds to cancer-fighting promise of combined immunotherapy-radiation treatment
Books By Writers Here