If you eat meat you "easily cheat, lie, forget promises and commit sex crimes", according to a controversial school textbook called New Healthway, which is on hygiene and health for 11 and 12 year-olds and is printed by one of India's leading publishers.
"The strongest argument that meat is not essential food is the fact that the Creator of this Universe did not include meat in the original diet for Adam and Eve. He gave them fruits, nuts and vegetables," reads a chapter entitled Do We Need Flesh Food?
One chapter refers to Eskimos (Inuit) as "lazy, sluggish and short-lived", because they live on "a diet largely of meat". It adds: "The Arabs who helped in constructing the Suez Canal lived on wheat and dates and were superior to the beef-fed Englishmen engaged in the same work."
It is not known which Indian schools have bought the book for their students, but correspondents say what is worrying is that such a book is available to students.
India textbook says meat-eaters lie and commit sex crimes - BBC
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Giddings: The 750 GeV Diphoton Resonance Is A Graviton
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- Social Media Is Looking Old, Tired And Grumpy
- Inconvenient Truth: There Are Synthetic Pesticide Residues On Organic
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- No Higgs Needed: 5 Ways Particle Accelerators Have Changed The World
- Starting Age Of Marijuana Use May Have Long-term Effects On Brain Development
- "The USA is not a democracy it is a federal republic based on a combination of Native American and..."
- "There are recent longitudinal studies, with well over 100 sets of twins included. The studies disclosed..."
- "Hi Tommaso,There are by now many possibilities to explain possible new particles, and one must..."
- "It may... Or it may not! THAT'S SCIENCE!!! ..."
- "(sarc on) Nice try! (sarc off) Typical reply from an uninformed ditto-head alarmist, that is, to..."
- National Academy of Medicine Supports Replacing Faulty Mitochondrial DNA
- Pregnant & Still Smoking: Better Way Needed To Quit
- ‘Healthy Obesity’ May Be an Oxymoron, Study Says
- Keeping the PBJ, While Chasing NBA Immortality
- The Public Toilet Seat’s Place on the ‘Ick Scale’
- Moms-to-Be: Take Chocolate Benefits With Grain of Salt