If you eat meat you "easily cheat, lie, forget promises and commit sex crimes", according to a controversial school textbook called New Healthway, which is on hygiene and health for 11 and 12 year-olds and is printed by one of India's leading publishers.
"The strongest argument that meat is not essential food is the fact that the Creator of this Universe did not include meat in the original diet for Adam and Eve. He gave them fruits, nuts and vegetables," reads a chapter entitled Do We Need Flesh Food?
One chapter refers to Eskimos (Inuit) as "lazy, sluggish and short-lived", because they live on "a diet largely of meat". It adds: "The Arabs who helped in constructing the Suez Canal lived on wheat and dates and were superior to the beef-fed Englishmen engaged in the same work."
It is not known which Indian schools have bought the book for their students, but correspondents say what is worrying is that such a book is available to students.
India textbook says meat-eaters lie and commit sex crimes - BBC
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Eosinophilic Esophagitis: Genetic Clues Of Severe Food Allergy
- Is Religion A Consolation Worth Having?
- 3X Saturated Fat In The Diet Doesn't Increase It In Blood
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- Education: Stop New Age Thinking, Chalk And Talk Might Be The Best Way After All
- Extraordinary Claims: Review My Paper For $10
- "If one is a fan of the FireFly franchise they could take this movie as a sort of rip off of the..."
- "Ha! Like I said, Democrats are a lot better about PR than Republican groups are. Corporations have..."
- "From your response, you seem totally incapable of addressing anything I wrote.Experience has taught..."
- "It is a fact that throughout history much evil has been done for the sake of the believers' godsAnd..."
- "You seem to believe that reality depends or one's viewpoint rather than vice versa.Nope.  ..."
- Suicide risk falls substantially after talk therapy
- The Lancet: Universal health coverage for US militar veterans within reach, but many still lack coverage
- Modified DNA backbone enables success of existing and novel oligonucleotide therapeutics
- Gene in kidney may play role in high blood pressure
- Panel-based genetic diagnostic testing for inherited eye disease proves highly accurate