New BaBar results are a strong verification of the predictions of the Standard Model of particles, demonstrating that—at least for some elementary particle processes—the direction of time matters.
Unlike our daily experience, the world of elementary particle physics is mostly symmetrical in time. Run the clock backward on your day and it won't work; run the clock backward on a process in particle physics and things are just fine. However, to preserve certain fundamental aspects of space-time the Standard Model predicts that certain reversible events nevertheless have different probabilities, depending on which way they go.
Finding a direction of time in exotic particle transformations: Entangled B mesons show that time has an arrow on the smallest scales by Matthew Francis, Ars Technica
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- IPhone Lab Detects Cancer, May Lead To Instant Diagnosis
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- Physics Outreach With Music
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- Nitrate-Reducing Microbes Linked To Migraine Headaches
- Following Speech In Background Noise - The Problem May Not Be Your Ears
- "Oh, sounds as if you meant to post to my article: Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos..."
- "Ok im going to reason with you hear the reason i ask is because i have trust issues and on this..."
- "Astronomers don't say it's real. The Nibiru people cite articles that are talking about different..."
- " They continue spreading this lie of the magnetic polar flip and jesus return and they won´t stop..."
- "I just dont get how so many say its real including astronomers yet so little saying its not nobody..."