New BaBar results are a strong verification of the predictions of the Standard Model of particles, demonstrating that—at least for some elementary particle processes—the direction of time matters.
Unlike our daily experience, the world of elementary particle physics is mostly symmetrical in time. Run the clock backward on your day and it won't work; run the clock backward on a process in particle physics and things are just fine. However, to preserve certain fundamental aspects of space-time the Standard Model predicts that certain reversible events nevertheless have different probabilities, depending on which way they go.
Finding a direction of time in exotic particle transformations: Entangled B mesons show that time has an arrow on the smallest scales by Matthew Francis, Ars Technica
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Standards needed for post-conviction review of scientific evidence
- We've Forgotten The Trial Of Socrates: Excellence And Winning Aren’t The Same Thing
- Can Moons Have Moonlets? Or Rings? Moonlets Of Pluto's Moons?
- James Hansen: To Mitigate Climate Change, Nuclear Energy Should Be Included
- The Era Of The Atom
- Patrick Matthew, The Overlooked Third Man Of Natural Selection
- Cardiovascular Risk Factors And Alzheimer's Disease Genetic Overlap
- "It should tell you all you need to know about vaccine safety when those who manufacture vaccines..."
- "I used to think the same. Internal Combustion Engines are part of a group known as Heat Engines..."
- "The linear range of an alpha particle is very small in materials, typically measured in microns..."
- "Right good point :). I wonder if Pluto will have irregular moons also :).Here is a plot of the..."
- "BTW several of the other KBOs have moons Indeed, counting Pluto, then amongst the 8 largest, five..."
- Dutch doctors withhold/withdraw treatment in many elderly patients
- New guidelines for how to treat a first seizure
- Soil can limit ability of plants to slow climate change
- Women who smoke more likely to give birth to twins
- It shouldn't be there: Black hole hunters use Henize 2-10 to tackle a cosmic conundrum