New BaBar results are a strong verification of the predictions of the Standard Model of particles, demonstrating that—at least for some elementary particle processes—the direction of time matters.
Unlike our daily experience, the world of elementary particle physics is mostly symmetrical in time. Run the clock backward on your day and it won't work; run the clock backward on a process in particle physics and things are just fine. However, to preserve certain fundamental aspects of space-time the Standard Model predicts that certain reversible events nevertheless have different probabilities, depending on which way they go.
Finding a direction of time in exotic particle transformations: Entangled B mesons show that time has an arrow on the smallest scales by Matthew Francis, Ars Technica
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Quantum mechanics in 1834?
- Why This New "Planet X" Is No Threat To Earth :).
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- Native Americans Aren't More Prone To Alcoholism
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- The Doctor-Less Hospital Future
- "Thanks, didn't know about those. But it could also be a shower of hail stones, using the wikipedia..."
- "Are you saying that the sea level data are wrong? I'm just quoting it. If so, please note your data...."
- "For a good place to start, concerning causality as it relates to physics and the mathematics of..."
- "We are also biologically programmed to avoid death for as long as possible. Depends on what you..."
- " This is blatantly a false statement. Contrary to popular belief, CO2 is NOT the cause of temperature..."