New BaBar results are a strong verification of the predictions of the Standard Model of particles, demonstrating that—at least for some elementary particle processes—the direction of time matters.
Unlike our daily experience, the world of elementary particle physics is mostly symmetrical in time. Run the clock backward on your day and it won't work; run the clock backward on a process in particle physics and things are just fine. However, to preserve certain fundamental aspects of space-time the Standard Model predicts that certain reversible events nevertheless have different probabilities, depending on which way they go.
Finding a direction of time in exotic particle transformations: Entangled B mesons show that time has an arrow on the smallest scales by Matthew Francis, Ars Technica
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Brief History Of Exo-Earths And The Search For Extraterrestrial Life
- Mad Goat? Scrapie Pathogens Could Breach The Human Species Barrier
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- 5 Food Tips That Could Save Your Life After A Heart Attack
- Falsifiability And The Integrity Of Physics
- Will China Dominate The Wine Industry Too?
- Hair Growth With A Little Help From Macrophages - And Skin Regeneration
- "Using the term 'denier' immediately reveals the belligerence at work in the writer of this article..."
- "Is this compound going to be made available to the general public, if so, from what type of outlets..."
- "I love your well-written Post,your article help me to get some ideas Thanks for you Share This..."
- "Try this instead http://www.investigatemagazine.co.nz/Investigate/14207/10-ways-deal-climate-change..."
- "It’s Ukraine that has gained a large nature reserve.Since it’s now past the Western Christmas..."