New BaBar results are a strong verification of the predictions of the Standard Model of particles, demonstrating that—at least for some elementary particle processes—the direction of time matters.
Unlike our daily experience, the world of elementary particle physics is mostly symmetrical in time. Run the clock backward on your day and it won't work; run the clock backward on a process in particle physics and things are just fine. However, to preserve certain fundamental aspects of space-time the Standard Model predicts that certain reversible events nevertheless have different probabilities, depending on which way they go.
Finding a direction of time in exotic particle transformations: Entangled B mesons show that time has an arrow on the smallest scales by Matthew Francis, Ars Technica
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Serious Physics Of Super Balls
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Numenta And IBM To Build Biologically Inspired Intelligent Machines.
- Traditional Medicine: Thunder God Vine As Potential Obesity Treatment
- Grading The President's Strategy To Promote Bee Health
- Will Female Viagra Be An FDA Boner?
- Enjoy Sugar Again: High Carb Diet On Par With Caloric Restriction In Boosting Health
- "I am more concerned about women eating genetically modified corn and then breast feeding.  ..."
- "As a Christian I've always believed that there are no true atheists. We are created in God's image..."
- "The math realities are that the President's Strategy cannot possibly increase the amount of honeybee..."
- "Yes for sure. I'm at firstname.lastname@example.org. It's on loads of websites as that's my support..."
- "Good points, yes I think that's the way of it. I know it's rather long, some of the wikipedia articles..."