New BaBar results are a strong verification of the predictions of the Standard Model of particles, demonstrating that—at least for some elementary particle processes—the direction of time matters.
Unlike our daily experience, the world of elementary particle physics is mostly symmetrical in time. Run the clock backward on your day and it won't work; run the clock backward on a process in particle physics and things are just fine. However, to preserve certain fundamental aspects of space-time the Standard Model predicts that certain reversible events nevertheless have different probabilities, depending on which way they go.
Finding a direction of time in exotic particle transformations: Entangled B mesons show that time has an arrow on the smallest scales by Matthew Francis, Ars Technica
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The World Is NOT Ending Today! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story In Telegraph
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- "Ian, nothing is going to happen, not now, not in September, none of these predictions is based..."
- "To be honest with u mr walker i dont really no the whole concept of this nibiru but one thing i..."
- "No nothing is going to happen then either Ian. BTW thanks for signing your comment. It's a great..."
- "Ok so nothing happens today then what about the date thats set for September whats your take on..."
- "David: My previous comment on your previous comment together fit in one screen. So, one can see..."
- Acute kidney injury identifiable in preterm infants
- Teens who smoke daily are more likely to report health complaints
- Lab method sheds light on how genetic mutations cause inherited Parkinson's disease
- Abundant and diverse ecosystem found in area targeted for deep-sea mining
- Portable device produces biologic drugs on demand