I went to an old link to the Kids Science Zone ("Awesome Science for Kids"), kidssciencezone.com/astronomy. It said "Nothing found!" Oh, wait, the top-level structure had changed, so I clicked on the "Space" link: kidssciencezone.com/category/space, empty. kidssciencezone.com/category/space-travel, empty. In fact, all the top-level sections were empty, even when their sublevels were populated.
Which leads to the idea that we could simply add tumbleweeds, and make it like a ghost town. Intentionally, I mean, not as it is now.
But what really amused me were the entries that were on the site, at the http://kidssciencezone.com level. "Model for managing asthma in preschoolers leads to dramatic drop in ER visits and hospitalizations" (full of stats, too.) "Stress and tension do not stop fertility treatments from working." Both were in the category 'Anthropology'.
So while I'm not sure what's up, I do find it tremendously amusing but not very kid-centric.
Which led me to thinking, what would it take to make a kick-ass kid's science site? Besides from refraining from using the words "kick-ass", that is-- you'd be surprised what parents complain about.
The answer is... an editor. Something often missing in dialogs about Web2.0, new media, and transmedia. That would be a fun job-- spend the day trolling Science20.com for stories relevant to K-12 kids, then write 1-paragraph lead-ins to improve access for the under-12 set, followed by the full stories as written.
And, a pony.
Disclaimer: Kid's Science Zone is part of the Science20.com network, so I am risking ninja assassins coming and eliminating me for bringing this up.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- How Wild Rabbits Genetically Became Tame Ones
- Coastal Regions Need To Worry About Non-Climate Change Sea Level Rise Now
- Junk Food Rats Ditch Balanced Diet To Eat Just Like Obese People
- Will We Meet ET Microbes On Mars? Why We Should Care Deeply About Them - Like Tigers
- Anger Face Is Universal, And It Evolved Because Of Psychology
- Meet BPA-Free, The New BPA
- "Hiding behind pseudo science in order to throw stones at straw man progressives and liberals makes..."
- "from TOLSTOY AND THE CULT OF SIMPLICITY..."
- "If we don't have animal studies, we are left with anecdotes as evidence. I agree organic foods..."
- "Am I the only one who is concerned about the usage of the animals for such experiments? I'm really..."
- "No Hank, You put words in my mouth. The environment of domestication that the rabbit was thrust..."
- Medication shows mixed results in reducing complications from cardiac surgery
- Transvenous lead extraction clinically successful in 98 percent of cases
- First multidisciplinary recommendations on management of arrhythmias in ACS patients
- First expert consensus on ventricular arrhythmias published
- First comprehensive ESC Guidelines on aortic diseases published