I went to an old link to the Kids Science Zone ("Awesome Science for Kids"), kidssciencezone.com/astronomy. It said "Nothing found!" Oh, wait, the top-level structure had changed, so I clicked on the "Space" link: kidssciencezone.com/category/space, empty. kidssciencezone.com/category/space-travel, empty. In fact, all the top-level sections were empty, even when their sublevels were populated.
Which leads to the idea that we could simply add tumbleweeds, and make it like a ghost town. Intentionally, I mean, not as it is now.
But what really amused me were the entries that were on the site, at the http://kidssciencezone.com level. "Model for managing asthma in preschoolers leads to dramatic drop in ER visits and hospitalizations" (full of stats, too.) "Stress and tension do not stop fertility treatments from working." Both were in the category 'Anthropology'.
So while I'm not sure what's up, I do find it tremendously amusing but not very kid-centric.
Which led me to thinking, what would it take to make a kick-ass kid's science site? Besides from refraining from using the words "kick-ass", that is-- you'd be surprised what parents complain about.
The answer is... an editor. Something often missing in dialogs about Web2.0, new media, and transmedia. That would be a fun job-- spend the day trolling Science20.com for stories relevant to K-12 kids, then write 1-paragraph lead-ins to improve access for the under-12 set, followed by the full stories as written.
And, a pony.
Disclaimer: Kid's Science Zone is part of the Science20.com network, so I am risking ninja assassins coming and eliminating me for bringing this up.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "Not to worry. This happens all the time. It is difficult to pick the right person to respond to..."
- "I'm arrogant? Oh, my sides!So, you think that because there are a whole bunch of diseases that..."
- "I am not an attorney, nor have I ever worked in the Justice Department, so I don't run around threatening..."
- "I'm a bit worried there's some confusion about who I found funny - it was the commenter with the..."
- "When 'western medicine' can cure cancer, your arrogant tone won't grate so much. But it can't...."
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation
- Counter-Point: Activists Operate By Outrage, Not Fear
- Whole Foods Recalls Organic Roquefort Cheeses After Listeria Found
- Suicide Tries Linked to Weight-Loss Surgery? Study Doesn’t Show
- Following Rules, Refreezing Thawed Meat is Safe
- Beetles provide clues about the genetic foundations of parenthood
- Trees to power: McMaster engineers build better energy storage device
- High dose chemo & stem cell transplantation results in long-term survival for amyloid patients
- 'Blind analysis' could reduce bias in social sciences papers
- Adoption of streamlined breast cancer treatment has stagnated, study finds