I went to an old link to the Kids Science Zone ("Awesome Science for Kids"), kidssciencezone.com/astronomy. It said "Nothing found!" Oh, wait, the top-level structure had changed, so I clicked on the "Space" link: kidssciencezone.com/category/space, empty. kidssciencezone.com/category/space-travel, empty. In fact, all the top-level sections were empty, even when their sublevels were populated.
Which leads to the idea that we could simply add tumbleweeds, and make it like a ghost town. Intentionally, I mean, not as it is now.
But what really amused me were the entries that were on the site, at the http://kidssciencezone.com level. "Model for managing asthma in preschoolers leads to dramatic drop in ER visits and hospitalizations" (full of stats, too.) "Stress and tension do not stop fertility treatments from working." Both were in the category 'Anthropology'.
So while I'm not sure what's up, I do find it tremendously amusing but not very kid-centric.
Which led me to thinking, what would it take to make a kick-ass kid's science site? Besides from refraining from using the words "kick-ass", that is-- you'd be surprised what parents complain about.
The answer is... an editor. Something often missing in dialogs about Web2.0, new media, and transmedia. That would be a fun job-- spend the day trolling Science20.com for stories relevant to K-12 kids, then write 1-paragraph lead-ins to improve access for the under-12 set, followed by the full stories as written.
And, a pony.
Disclaimer: Kid's Science Zone is part of the Science20.com network, so I am risking ninja assassins coming and eliminating me for bringing this up.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- Inhibiting Inflammatory Enzyme After Heart Attack Does Not Reduce Risk Of Subsequent Event
- Antarctic Sea Level Rising Faster Than Elsewhere
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- You Are Ready To Eat Insects If You Have These Characteristics
- MOOCs: Learning About Online Learning, One Click At A Time
- "Fresh example - how to make worthless pseudoscience by using meta-analysis:42. Jian Jin..."
- "To some degree the author's point about the use of brain research is true - particularly for some..."
- "I have bought edible insects a couple of times from Eat Grub and they've been great to serve at..."
- "What you describe is classical wave physics. However, photons are not classical objects, they are..."
- "god is dead i am god news flash you never had a soul if you did i own it now. its true most people..."
- Can action movies make you fat?
- Family dinners reduce effects of cyberbullying in adolescents
- Quality of US diet shows modest improvement, but overall remains poor
- Research letter: Viewers ate more while watching Hollywood action flick on TV
- Quality of US diet improves, gap widens for quality between rich and poor