The American Museum of Natural History is displaying the "Exosuit", a next-generation atmospheric diving system capable of taking a diver down 1,000 feet at surface pressure.
1,000 feet down is 30X the surface pressure. That's...scary. Give me a submarine instead and I will just wave at the fish.
The Exosuit is 6.5 feet tall, weighs 530 pounds, and is hard metal, but it still gives divers the maneuverability to sample or image marine life. It is the only one in existence, and on display at AMNH courtesy of J.F. White Contracting Company in Framingham, Massachusetts.
The Exosuit. Credit: AMNH
Its first big live test will happen this summer off the coast of New England, when a team led by project coordinator Michael Lombardi, the Museum’s dive safety officer, and chief scientist Vincent Pieribone of Yale University will use the Exosuit to investigate an area called “The Canyons.”
This underwater geographic region marks a precipitous drop from the continental shelf to depths of more than 10,000 feet. The Exosuit will allow the science team to conduct studies at depths up to 1,000 feet in the mid-water, or mesopelagic, zone.
Many animals, including those that bioluminesce—that is, generate visible light through a chemical reaction—migrate vertically through this zone at night as they move from the abyss to shallower waters. Previously, these organisms have primarily been studied after coming up in trawl nets or via remote instruments.
See it today until March 5th.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Anomaly! Book Of The Week At Times Higher Education
- Random Thoughts Of A Physicist In Honeymoon
- Climate Change Made The Sahara Green - Then Took It Away Again
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- How Viruses Leave Messages For Descendants On How To 'Infect'
- It's Been Another Record Year For Agriculture - When Do Climate Change Forecasts Come True?
- How Wind Turbines Work - A Legal Perspective
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- A Drug 85 Times More Potent than THC Caused 'Zombie Outbreak' in New York City
- Doubt Cast Over Sunscreen-Vs.-Shade Study
- ABCD: Obesity Has A New Name, Will It Stop The Epidemic?
- President George H. W. Bush in ICU, Wife Barbara in Same Hospital
- Media Think World of Science and Health Will End on Inauguration Day 2017
- And Then There Were Three: A New Trivalent Herpes Vaccine Enters The Scene