The American Museum of Natural History is displaying the "Exosuit", a next-generation atmospheric diving system capable of taking a diver down 1,000 feet at surface pressure.
1,000 feet down is 30X the surface pressure. That's...scary. Give me a submarine instead and I will just wave at the fish.
The Exosuit is 6.5 feet tall, weighs 530 pounds, and is hard metal, but it still gives divers the maneuverability to sample or image marine life. It is the only one in existence, and on display at AMNH courtesy of J.F. White Contracting Company in Framingham, Massachusetts.
The Exosuit. Credit: AMNH
Its first big live test will happen this summer off the coast of New England, when a team led by project coordinator Michael Lombardi, the Museum’s dive safety officer, and chief scientist Vincent Pieribone of Yale University will use the Exosuit to investigate an area called “The Canyons.”
This underwater geographic region marks a precipitous drop from the continental shelf to depths of more than 10,000 feet. The Exosuit will allow the science team to conduct studies at depths up to 1,000 feet in the mid-water, or mesopelagic, zone.
Many animals, including those that bioluminesce—that is, generate visible light through a chemical reaction—migrate vertically through this zone at night as they move from the abyss to shallower waters. Previously, these organisms have primarily been studied after coming up in trawl nets or via remote instruments.
See it today until March 5th.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- WHO Reports: Obesity Crisis In Europe
- Nuclear Power Isn't Really Zero-emission, But Neither Is Anything Else
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Jelly And Lasers Lead To Discovering New Trigger For Volcanic Eruptions
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- X-linked Gene Mutations Cause Some Cases Of Male Infertility
- "ah yes absolutely right, very clever view on the subject indeed, its for people like you the Nation..."
- "1) N. How could Tommaso know if I read my local paper. 2) N. Chance is minuscule. Never been detected..."
- "Grundy was charged with felony counts of identity theft and using computers to commit a crime...."
- "Anybody who is afraid of radiation just because it is radiation is afraid of nature itself because..."
- "Not to minimize your excellent and very informative article, but I think much of this can be explained..."
- Time is muscle in acute heart failure
- American Indian students disproportionately disciplined compared to white students
- What's the best, most effective way to take notes?
- Phase 2 Clinical Trial of TPX-100 Therapeutic for Knee Osteoarthritis Subject Enrollment Complete
- Memories influence choice of food
Books By Writers Here