The American Museum of Natural History is displaying the "Exosuit", a next-generation atmospheric diving system capable of taking a diver down 1,000 feet at surface pressure.
1,000 feet down is 30X the surface pressure. That's...scary. Give me a submarine instead and I will just wave at the fish.
The Exosuit is 6.5 feet tall, weighs 530 pounds, and is hard metal, but it still gives divers the maneuverability to sample or image marine life. It is the only one in existence, and on display at AMNH courtesy of J.F. White Contracting Company in Framingham, Massachusetts.
The Exosuit. Credit: AMNH
Its first big live test will happen this summer off the coast of New England, when a team led by project coordinator Michael Lombardi, the Museum’s dive safety officer, and chief scientist Vincent Pieribone of Yale University will use the Exosuit to investigate an area called “The Canyons.”
This underwater geographic region marks a precipitous drop from the continental shelf to depths of more than 10,000 feet. The Exosuit will allow the science team to conduct studies at depths up to 1,000 feet in the mid-water, or mesopelagic, zone.
Many animals, including those that bioluminesce—that is, generate visible light through a chemical reaction—migrate vertically through this zone at night as they move from the abyss to shallower waters. Previously, these organisms have primarily been studied after coming up in trawl nets or via remote instruments.
See it today until March 5th.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- TSCA Reform Casualties Likely Start with Asbestos
- Is Corbyn Right About The Bomb?- Op Ed
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- March Against Monsanto Claims Vaccines Cause Cancer
- Are There Two Higgses ? No, And I Won Another Bet!
- "So what your saying is then that hes not right and nibiru is not real yet space is hugh very hugh..."
- "No he doesn't need to know anything to say this. There's a very long list of people who have predicted..."
- "That prediction mr walker is by the rabbi who if i remember rightly stated at the beginning of..."
- "I went through Guido's book this summer and I found that really entertaining. The style is not..."
- "No, it's not real, it's just a hoax or myth. I haven't seen that prediction but that's how they..."
- Suppressing Cough at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- How Smoking Causes Heartaches
- Vagina: Inanimate Objects in Orifices
- Synthetic Cannabis: Why Is Spice So Dangerous?
- US News Tackles The War On Fun, And Other Ways Media Linked To Us Last Week
- Social Orangutans Are More Intelligent than Solitary Orangutans
- Chemical weapons are still being used in Iraq but the Obama administration doesn't talk about it
- Why psychology lost its soul - science replaced it
- Jim Crow internet is pushing back against Black Lives Matter
- Ben & Jerry's: Global warming is changing the flavor of ice cream
- Laterality: Finding out about the human mind through stone