The American Museum of Natural History is displaying the "Exosuit", a next-generation atmospheric diving system capable of taking a diver down 1,000 feet at surface pressure.
1,000 feet down is 30X the surface pressure. That's...scary. Give me a submarine instead and I will just wave at the fish.
The Exosuit is 6.5 feet tall, weighs 530 pounds, and is hard metal, but it still gives divers the maneuverability to sample or image marine life. It is the only one in existence, and on display at AMNH courtesy of J.F. White Contracting Company in Framingham, Massachusetts.
The Exosuit. Credit: AMNH
Its first big live test will happen this summer off the coast of New England, when a team led by project coordinator Michael Lombardi, the Museum’s dive safety officer, and chief scientist Vincent Pieribone of Yale University will use the Exosuit to investigate an area called “The Canyons.”
This underwater geographic region marks a precipitous drop from the continental shelf to depths of more than 10,000 feet. The Exosuit will allow the science team to conduct studies at depths up to 1,000 feet in the mid-water, or mesopelagic, zone.
Many animals, including those that bioluminesce—that is, generate visible light through a chemical reaction—migrate vertically through this zone at night as they move from the abyss to shallower waters. Previously, these organisms have primarily been studied after coming up in trawl nets or via remote instruments.
See it today until March 5th.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Questions a Surface Pro 3 user has about Windows 10.
- Epigenetics Of Being Without Electricity For A Few Days
- Wind Turbine Or Tree? Bats Can't Tell
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Science Graduates Are Not Good At Math – But Why?
- Depression Surveys Linked To Unnecessary Antidepressant Prescriptions
- "Which would you rather people abuse, marijuana or alcohol?..."
- "SSD is a solid state drive. HDD is a hard disk drive. No one knows what an SDD is so it's better..."
- "Thanks! That's helpful. I should have trusted QCD to find a way to make life difficult. Crossing..."
- "Of course it matters. You're talking about creating a synthetic silicon neuron, but then you don't..."
- "Looking at that it ask you if you want to switch from tablet mode to desktop mode every time you..."
- The wake-up call that sent hearts racing
- Minimum alcohol pricing would be up to 50 times more effective than below cost selling ban
- Healthy lifestyle could prevent nearly half of all diabetic pregnancies
- Damaging legacy: Mothers who smoke affect the fertility of their sons
- Geneticists solve 40-year-old dilemma to explain why duplicate genes remain in the genome