I would like to start a new column of mathematical puzzles. Scientific American has one; New Scientist has one; so I hope Science 2.0 will be happy to host one!
Preamble over, here's your "started for 10".
The diagram shows five circles, each with integer radius, all touching the base of the large triangle. The four smaller circles all touch their two neighbouring circles, with the large circle touching all four. The two sides of the triangle each touch two of the circles.
Let the radii of the circles be a, b and c, such that a > b > c.
Given that c has a length of 4 units, find the area of the large triangle. You may leave it as an exact solution.
Using the relationship between a, b and c, found in the first question, we can set the value of c to any square number and this will generate values for a and b.
However, if we set c=9 the triangle that encloses the circles flips over. The horizontal line used to construct the circles is now no longer the base of the whole triangle. We can redefine the triangle: the two equal sides are still the tangents of circles A and B, but the base is now the horizontal tangent to A so that the triangle still encloses the five circles.
What are the values of a and b for c=9 and why does the triangle flip over?
What happens for higher values of c, such as c=16, 25, 36 and so on?
Do the areas of the sequence of triangles generated by setting c as a sequence of squares tend towards a fixed vaue, or continue to increase indefinitely?
Full solution will be posted when a new question is published. There are, already, solutions below.
Update 7 March: have edited the above question for clarity and to include the extension problems discussed in the comments. Thanks to all participants.
11 March: a solution has now been published.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- "Quark colors are considered in the framework of the SM weak interactions for the first time. In..."
- "Yes absolutely. Nobody has predicted any astronomical event successfully from the Bible. And it..."
- "so this vídeo armageddon News is fake???..."
- "...not tracking donaldtrump2. The above piece is a fictionalized scenario of Iran testing an atomic..."
- "Yes, they can, fake, hoax, or misunderstandings. The thing is that this Nibiru idea is so general..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes