I would like to start a new column of mathematical puzzles. Scientific American has one; New Scientist has one; so I hope Science 2.0 will be happy to host one!
Preamble over, here's your "started for 10".
The diagram shows five circles, each with integer radius, all touching the base of the large triangle. The four smaller circles all touch their two neighbouring circles, with the large circle touching all four. The two sides of the triangle each touch two of the circles.
Let the radii of the circles be a, b and c, such that a > b > c.
Given that c has a length of 4 units, find the area of the large triangle. You may leave it as an exact solution.
Using the relationship between a, b and c, found in the first question, we can set the value of c to any square number and this will generate values for a and b.
However, if we set c=9 the triangle that encloses the circles flips over. The horizontal line used to construct the circles is now no longer the base of the whole triangle. We can redefine the triangle: the two equal sides are still the tangents of circles A and B, but the base is now the horizontal tangent to A so that the triangle still encloses the five circles.
What are the values of a and b for c=9 and why does the triangle flip over?
What happens for higher values of c, such as c=16, 25, 36 and so on?
Do the areas of the sequence of triangles generated by setting c as a sequence of squares tend towards a fixed vaue, or continue to increase indefinitely?
Full solution will be posted when a new question is published. There are, already, solutions below.
Update 7 March: have edited the above question for clarity and to include the extension problems discussed in the comments. Thanks to all participants.
11 March: a solution has now been published.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hubble Spots Europa Geysers Again - How They Did It - And What Next? Flyby? Lander?
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- Global Warming Has Made Global Warming Harder To Show
- How Did Early Earth Stay Warm? Greenhouse Gases
- Petition To Youtube To Halt Ads On Doomsday Videos - They Make The Vulnerable Suicidal
- Is Corbyn Right About The Bomb?- Op Ed
- California Methane Caps Could Hurt Organic Farming Most
- "So your honestly saying that nothing is going to happen at all by this.Casey ..."
- "The left bases a persons dedication to science strictly on how many of their beliefs you wholeheartedly..."
- "I know someone who has sent to a zeta talkers (a website, which promoted, back in the early 2000s..."
- "Oh that's an example of how they muddle everything together and ignore inconvenient differences..."
- "I think uve also got to take into account as well tho mr walker that there is also alot of people..."
- A Cocktail of Wild Viruses Treats Bacterial Wound Infections in Mice
- The Scientific Advisors at Theranos Won't (or Can't) Talk
- Suppressing Coughs at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- Suppressing Cough at Tonight's Presidential Debate
- How Smoking Causes Heartaches
- Flu Vaccine Updates for 2016-2017