There are four caffeine-induced psychiatric disorders recognized by the DSM-IV, the diagnosis manual of the American Psychiatric Association: caffeine intoxication, caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, caffeine-induced sleep disorder, and caffeine-related disorder not otherwise specified.
And, as you know if you have ever had to walk low-Starbucks-density wastelands, withdrawal can result in nausea, lethargy and depression. But what of the classic, washed-up-child-star-style overdose?
The Mallinckrodt Baker Material Safety Data Sheet describes the lethal dose of caffeine as 192mg/kg in rats (note: does this imply study of multiple-kilogram rats? Potentially capybaras? Maybe Norwegian browns from the Bronx?).
In humans, lethal toxicity is estimated at between 150 and 200 mg/kg, meaning that an average adult would have to consume between 80 and 100 cups of coffee in a very short period of time to induce extreme badness.
Forensic Science International reports a couple deaths from caffeine toxicity, all resulting from overdose of caffeine pills.
The moral seems clear: once you reach your 70th cup of the afternoon, consider switching to Benzedrine, methamphetamines or another similar stimulant.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page. (A wise person once said, "One cannot eat a blog nor can one shelter beneath it. But a book! A book made of delicious and rain repellent wood pulp! That is another thing entirely!")
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Wild Rabbits Genetically Became Tame Ones
- Junk Food Rats Ditch Balanced Diet To Eat Just Like Obese People
- China's R&D Budget Surpasses The Entire EU - But Applied Research Has Plummeted
- High Dietary Salt Linked To Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms
- Why I Believe We’ll Find Aliens - Seth Shostak
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- E-Cigarettes Versus Cigarettes: 10X Decrease In Second-Hand Smoke
- "Getting energy by oxidizing hydrogen? So could we describe these bacteria as little “fuel..."
- "This is accelerated adaptive genetics at work. It involves 'ram genes' which function much like..."
- "It is a pity that, although a French group is signing the article with a reference to several institutions..."
- "I thought that some humor is necessary here: ..."
- Medication shows mixed results in reducing complications from cardiac surgery
- Transvenous lead extraction clinically successful in 98 percent of cases
- First multidisciplinary recommendations on management of arrhythmias in ACS patients
- First expert consensus on ventricular arrhythmias published
- First comprehensive ESC Guidelines on aortic diseases published