There are four caffeine-induced psychiatric disorders recognized by the DSM-IV, the diagnosis manual of the American Psychiatric Association: caffeine intoxication, caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, caffeine-induced sleep disorder, and caffeine-related disorder not otherwise specified.
And, as you know if you have ever had to walk low-Starbucks-density wastelands, withdrawal can result in nausea, lethargy and depression. But what of the classic, washed-up-child-star-style overdose?
The Mallinckrodt Baker Material Safety Data Sheet describes the lethal dose of caffeine as 192mg/kg in rats (note: does this imply study of multiple-kilogram rats? Potentially capybaras? Maybe Norwegian browns from the Bronx?).
In humans, lethal toxicity is estimated at between 150 and 200 mg/kg, meaning that an average adult would have to consume between 80 and 100 cups of coffee in a very short period of time to induce extreme badness.
Forensic Science International reports a couple deaths from caffeine toxicity, all resulting from overdose of caffeine pills.
The moral seems clear: once you reach your 70th cup of the afternoon, consider switching to Benzedrine, methamphetamines or another similar stimulant.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page. (A wise person once said, "One cannot eat a blog nor can one shelter beneath it. But a book! A book made of delicious and rain repellent wood pulp! That is another thing entirely!")
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer
- Early Human Ancestor Did Not Have The Jaws Of A Nutcracker
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- "I must disagree with the physics of what this author has written. I may have some basis for..."
- "Those are the same arguments for progressives. Scientists are playing God and thwarting the will..."
- "Okay, this is easy to check, just go here: Current Impact Risks. Everything is shown..."
- "Jeez, don't you guys spell check or proofread your articles?..."
- "Faunus was the god of shepherds and planet nine is the shepherd of the trans-NeptunIan objects..."
- Pertussis Booster Protection Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Unapproved Stem Cell Therapies – A Menace to Public Health
- Enjoying the Sun’s Vitamin D, While Blocking Skin Cancer
- Norovirus: From Satan’s Biohazard Lab To Your Duodenum
- Health Briefs: What You Missed Over the Weekend
- Florida Declares Zika Virus State of Emergency
- VA health system faces significant challenges, studies find
- Millennials say one thing but do another when choosing chocolate, study finds
- NREL explains the higher cellulolytic activity of a vital microorganism
- 200,000 fish bones suggest ancient Scandinavian people were more complex than thought
- Claims for solar cell efficiency put to test at NREL