There are four caffeine-induced psychiatric disorders recognized by the DSM-IV, the diagnosis manual of the American Psychiatric Association: caffeine intoxication, caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, caffeine-induced sleep disorder, and caffeine-related disorder not otherwise specified.
And, as you know if you have ever had to walk low-Starbucks-density wastelands, withdrawal can result in nausea, lethargy and depression. But what of the classic, washed-up-child-star-style overdose?
The Mallinckrodt Baker Material Safety Data Sheet describes the lethal dose of caffeine as 192mg/kg in rats (note: does this imply study of multiple-kilogram rats? Potentially capybaras? Maybe Norwegian browns from the Bronx?).
In humans, lethal toxicity is estimated at between 150 and 200 mg/kg, meaning that an average adult would have to consume between 80 and 100 cups of coffee in a very short period of time to induce extreme badness.
Forensic Science International reports a couple deaths from caffeine toxicity, all resulting from overdose of caffeine pills.
The moral seems clear: once you reach your 70th cup of the afternoon, consider switching to Benzedrine, methamphetamines or another similar stimulant.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page. (A wise person once said, "One cannot eat a blog nor can one shelter beneath it. But a book! A book made of delicious and rain repellent wood pulp! That is another thing entirely!")
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Ignorance Of Math And Physics Is No Excuse
- Mars Lost An Ocean’s Worth Of Water
- Quantum Cryptography Core Question At The Heart Of Quantum Information Theory Answered?!?
- Science Debunks Fad Ideas About Autism, But That Doesn't Dissuade Believers
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- Unregulated Genetic Testing Websites Still Causing Concerns
- Cats Use Sight Over Smell When Finding Food
- "This is only partly true. The arachidonic acid prostaglandin pathway is involved in pain..."
- "There is no fear, it is just silly. Let's have a debate between those who believe Hogwart's is..."
- "20 to 30 percent weight loss on female mice seems to be considerable. It could be interesting to..."
- "let's have a debate on national TV, those for the current fake science, and those showing a connection..."
- "Which of the voodoo 'treatments' for autism are you selling? Facilitated communication, right?..."
- Infant growth affected by exposure to environmental pollutants
- Fast food commercials to kids 'deceptive' by industry self-regulation standards
- Another study links heart disease to sitting
- Unregulated web marketing of genetic tests for personalized cancer care raises concerns
- Cultural hypocrisy and Jane Austen's death by popularity