There are four caffeine-induced psychiatric disorders recognized by the DSM-IV, the diagnosis manual of the American Psychiatric Association: caffeine intoxication, caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, caffeine-induced sleep disorder, and caffeine-related disorder not otherwise specified.
And, as you know if you have ever had to walk low-Starbucks-density wastelands, withdrawal can result in nausea, lethargy and depression. But what of the classic, washed-up-child-star-style overdose?
The Mallinckrodt Baker Material Safety Data Sheet describes the lethal dose of caffeine as 192mg/kg in rats (note: does this imply study of multiple-kilogram rats? Potentially capybaras? Maybe Norwegian browns from the Bronx?).
In humans, lethal toxicity is estimated at between 150 and 200 mg/kg, meaning that an average adult would have to consume between 80 and 100 cups of coffee in a very short period of time to induce extreme badness.
Forensic Science International reports a couple deaths from caffeine toxicity, all resulting from overdose of caffeine pills.
The moral seems clear: once you reach your 70th cup of the afternoon, consider switching to Benzedrine, methamphetamines or another similar stimulant.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page. (A wise person once said, "One cannot eat a blog nor can one shelter beneath it. But a book! A book made of delicious and rain repellent wood pulp! That is another thing entirely!")
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Keytruda: FDA Approves Melanoma Drug That Uses Immune System To Fight Cancer
- This Type Of Baldness By Age 45 Linked To More Aggressive Prostate Cancer
- Meet Graphene's Sexy New Cousin Germanene
- Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells Reset To Pristine State
- No books for you! City Colleges of Chicago Students.
- It's Almost 2015 - So Where Is My Hoverboard?
- "It' gets better. I am on a break from a math course at College of DuPage. All my students..."
- "dog is man's best friend and if you are looking for pet medication there are many websites on the..."
- "You lot here on sciency 2.0 have published a piece that ultimately cites the same sources as does..."
- "While With an online books store one would think it's just a matter of telling the publisher hey..."
- "Hontas:As a side (forked) issue:* You don't actually think that the Hilbert space of QED..."
- Study shows consumption of high-fat dairy products is associated with a lower risk of developing diabetes
- Study adds to cancer-fighting promise of combined immunotherapy-radiation treatment
- EEG study findings reveal how fear is processed in the brain
- Smithsonian scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
- Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places