There are four caffeine-induced psychiatric disorders recognized by the DSM-IV, the diagnosis manual of the American Psychiatric Association: caffeine intoxication, caffeine-induced anxiety disorder, caffeine-induced sleep disorder, and caffeine-related disorder not otherwise specified.
And, as you know if you have ever had to walk low-Starbucks-density wastelands, withdrawal can result in nausea, lethargy and depression. But what of the classic, washed-up-child-star-style overdose?
The Mallinckrodt Baker Material Safety Data Sheet describes the lethal dose of caffeine as 192mg/kg in rats (note: does this imply study of multiple-kilogram rats? Potentially capybaras? Maybe Norwegian browns from the Bronx?).
In humans, lethal toxicity is estimated at between 150 and 200 mg/kg, meaning that an average adult would have to consume between 80 and 100 cups of coffee in a very short period of time to induce extreme badness.
Forensic Science International reports a couple deaths from caffeine toxicity, all resulting from overdose of caffeine pills.
The moral seems clear: once you reach your 70th cup of the afternoon, consider switching to Benzedrine, methamphetamines or another similar stimulant.
Join me every Monday morning for more grandtastic goodies from The Geeks' Guide to World Domination. Or if you like your geekery delivered fresh, consider subscribing to my rss feed or joining my Facebook Fan Page. (A wise person once said, "One cannot eat a blog nor can one shelter beneath it. But a book! A book made of delicious and rain repellent wood pulp! That is another thing entirely!")
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "Thank you KJ, your reasoning is something I in fact was hoping to hear from some of the candidates..."
- "I was going to write exactly the same comment as KJ (though probably not as well). Hang around..."
- "Tommaso, This is an interesting question - thanks for sharing. I disagree with your answer to part..."
- "Hmm...a few thoughts: 1. Because, if the take-home message from this award is that people should..."
- "Hello Maurice,indeed this prize must collectively be felt as a prize to superK, I guess...."
- Why Is Mother Jones So Afraid Of Science? And Journalism?
- Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Health of Some Diabetics
- Ben Carson Bungles Again, Treating Cancer with Supplements
- No Vax, No School: US Supreme Court Backs NY State
- Remaking the Peanut to Make Schools Safer
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Not Magical, Nobel Prize or Not